All member reviews for The Witch of Blackbird Pond

1600s America springs to life for today's kids.

Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2009

I was Fairly Mind-numbed...

I don't seem to think much at all happened. She was just an emotional girl (who mainly just cried throughout an entire chapter, which was a bit of a waste for me) that just seemed to think about marriage...it was almost like watching (or reading) an outdated Soap Opera.
Teen, 14 years old Written byladybug! April 9, 2008

Good book, had everything in it!

The Witch of Blackbird Pond is about a girl named Kit who comes to England from Barbardos an island, which her grandfather WAS king of. England has many changes, she has to work at her aunts house. While she is in England many things happen. For one, she meets an old widow who is said to be a "Witch" but she is really the nicest lady ever. A sickness goes over to the town and everybody blames it on the "witch" who is not a witch, so they come to burn her house down, but Kit gets her on a ship to go stay with her good friend Nat`s grandmother. But as she goes home, she hears a strange thing, Kit your going to ........ So Kit goes on another rollar coaster with all the townspeople thinking that she is a witch. Will she ever be free? WIll she be forced to marry William, a nice man but not the man she is meant to be with, will Nat come rescue her? So come join the craziast rollar coaster ever!
Educator and Parent of a 6, 9, and 13 year old Written byJayne Smith July 4, 2012

Slightly Gory

Drowning, burning, and hanging not only discussed, but advocated by some of the characters. Fine otherwise. Very fast-paced and involving. Great for kids studying the Salem witch trials.
Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008
Parent Written byluvmybooksandtoys August 15, 2012

One of my personal favorites.

I have read this book twice since having bought it for my kids. It has complex characters and complex themes of good and evil. The uncle, harsh and uncompromising towards his niece, the female protagonist, becomes just as uncompromising in defending her against spurious charges of witchcraft. The positive message I found in the book was the different ways people modify their initial ideas of right and wrong when they are in conflict with the members of their society in ways that create a richer form of good.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bystoudts March 4, 2010

Excellent writing, great historical fiction, a great educational read aloud

This book is so well crafted -- the author creates memorable word pictures with the words she chooses. We did it as a read aloud for my 2 daughters, ages 10 and 6. The six year old liked the snuggling together, but couldn't follow the book almost at all. The 10 year old is studying colonial America, and it was an excellent supplement to textbook reading. Excellent for discussing different branches of the Christian faith. My older daughter couldn't WAIT to keep reading! If she had read it on her own, however, not sure she would've liked it nearly as much. You have to read slowly to catch some of the subtleties.
Parent Written byLiterary Mom April 30, 2012

Fabulous book!

This was my favorite novel as a child. I still thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my seven year old daughter when I read it to her (it's not intended for little ones). Definitely read it!
Parent of a 4, 9, and 10 year old Written bymockingbird72 April 19, 2011
Many authentic details describing Puritan life in New England. Very interesting for adults and children who naturally like history. May be a slow read for others. Plot is a little focused on who will marry who and what clothes people are wearing, boys may be turned off by this.
Adult Written byglamgirlsg May 31, 2010

A wonderful book.

I loved it when I first read it. It may be hard to understand the first time around for the youngsters but once they get it they will love it.
Parent of a 3 and 10 year old Written bytotallfamilygal December 14, 2009

Perfect for kids...9+ younger kids won't understande

My kids...they seem to not enjoy it as much as 'the new' books out. Like Hoot and Porqupine...olden times and GREAT children literature! The viloence is a bit extreme...just war and all, and it's like Shakespear writing...I rate [1-10] this book a 7.5
Kid, 11 years old January 28, 2009

a must read

i am one of thoses kids who refused to read but this book was pretty good!
Kid, 12 years old March 14, 2011
Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byILoveJaretReddick March 14, 2012

dont really like historical books but i think im going to like it.

well im not really sure of what to think of the book right now cuz my class just started reading it. im 15 and i am suuuuch a bookworm. though im not really a fan of historical books as much as sci-fi books, but i think this is a book that im going to enjoy. my fav character is kit cuz she is a feminist and so am i. i think all you people should read it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycatwiz97 August 27, 2009

HATE IT. It was just soooo boring. I'm not a non-fiction or historical fiction person, though.
Kid, 11 years old October 18, 2015

Snorgasm

This book was probably the most BORING book ever! No action and just like Lost World, no action just talking!! I recommend not getting this book.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygilgamesh June 8, 2015

confusing

How many books are like this. Sure, I've read books that are confusing but this one was really confusing
Teen, 14 years old Written bygodisgood184 April 30, 2011

great book for tween girls

Great book for young girls though it may not interest young boys so much. Has a brilliant story line as well as good historical facts. Loved it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer January 2, 2010

a good book but hard to read

the book and the story are good but younger readers (ages 8-11) will find it difficult to read.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybABiiBokk April 9, 2008