All member reviews for The Witch of Blackbird Pond

1600s America springs to life for today's kids.

Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2009

I was Fairly Mind-numbed...

I don't seem to think much at all happened. She was just an emotional girl (who mainly just cried throughout an entire chapter, which was a bit of a waste for me) that just seemed to think about marriage...it was almost like watching (or reading) an outdated Soap Opera.
Teen, 14 years old Written byladybug! April 9, 2008

Good book, had everything in it!

The Witch of Blackbird Pond is about a girl named Kit who comes to England from Barbardos an island, which her grandfather WAS king of. England has many changes, she has to work at her aunts house. While she is in England many things happen. For one, she meets an old widow who is said to be a "Witch" but she is really the nicest lady ever. A sickness goes over to the town and everybody blames it on the "witch" who is not a witch, so they come to burn her house down, but Kit gets her on a ship to go stay with her good friend Nat`s grandmother. But as she goes home, she hears a strange thing, Kit your going to ........ So Kit goes on another rollar coaster with all the townspeople thinking that she is a witch. Will she ever be free? WIll she be forced to marry William, a nice man but not the man she is meant to be with, will Nat come rescue her? So come join the craziast rollar coaster ever!
Educator and Parent of a 6, 9, and 13 year old Written byJayne Smith July 4, 2012

Slightly Gory

Drowning, burning, and hanging not only discussed, but advocated by some of the characters. Fine otherwise. Very fast-paced and involving. Great for kids studying the Salem witch trials.
Kid, 11 years old January 28, 2009

a must read

i am one of thoses kids who refused to read but this book was pretty good!
Teen, 15 years old Written byILoveJaretReddick March 14, 2012

dont really like historical books but i think im going to like it.

well im not really sure of what to think of the book right now cuz my class just started reading it. im 15 and i am suuuuch a bookworm. though im not really a fan of historical books as much as sci-fi books, but i think this is a book that im going to enjoy. my fav character is kit cuz she is a feminist and so am i. i think all you people should read it.
Kid, 12 years old March 14, 2011

Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byglamgirlsg May 31, 2010

A wonderful book.

I loved it when I first read it. It may be hard to understand the first time around for the youngsters but once they get it they will love it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer January 2, 2010

a good book but hard to read

the book and the story are good but younger readers (ages 8-11) will find it difficult to read.
Parent of a 3 and 10 year old Written bytotallfamilygal December 14, 2009

Perfect for kids...9+ younger kids won't understande

My kids...they seem to not enjoy it as much as 'the new' books out. Like Hoot and Porqupine...olden times and GREAT children literature! The viloence is a bit extreme...just war and all, and it's like Shakespear writing...I rate [1-10] this book a 7.5
Teen, 13 years old Written bycatwiz97 August 27, 2009

HATE IT. It was just soooo boring. I'm not a non-fiction or historical fiction person, though.
Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written bybABiiBokk April 9, 2008

Parent Written byluvmybooksandtoys August 15, 2012

One of my personal favorites.

I have read this book twice since having bought it for my kids. It has complex characters and complex themes of good and evil. The uncle, harsh and uncompromising towards his niece, the female protagonist, becomes just as uncompromising in defending her against spurious charges of witchcraft. The positive message I found in the book was the different ways people modify their initial ideas of right and wrong when they are in conflict with the members of their society in ways that create a richer form of good.
Parent Written byLiterary Mom April 30, 2012

Fabulous book!

This was my favorite novel as a child. I still thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my seven year old daughter when I read it to her (it's not intended for little ones). Definitely read it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byclara juicy September 27, 2011

IT'S GOOD AND THERE IS NOTHING INAPPROPRIATE FOR A KID ABOVE ELEVEN BUT THERE IS SOME WORDS A 10 YR OLD OR YOUNGER WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND

It was all just plain good it had me stuck and at first i gotta admit i thought it was boring to much politics and not enough action and trust me i love action but once i started going on I just couldn't stop everything was just positive it was good i asked for my friends opinion and they said at first it was a boring teacher makes you read book but no it is actually really good and if i learned some thing from this book its not just judge a book by its title but never ever judge a book by the beginning cause its just getting started.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygodisgood184 April 30, 2011

great book for tween girls

Great book for young girls though it may not interest young boys so much. Has a brilliant story line as well as good historical facts. Loved it!
Parent of a 4, 9, and 10 year old Written bymockingbird72 April 19, 2011

Many authentic details describing Puritan life in New England. Very interesting for adults and children who naturally like history. May be a slow read for others. Plot is a little focused on who will marry who and what clothes people are wearing, boys may be turned off by this.
Kid, 10 years old April 12, 2011

a great book for 10+

I learned a lot more about the 1600s. Kit stands up for what she believes in although most disagree with her and shows courage throughout the hard times she goes through. I could barely put it down! So PLEEEEASE read it!!!!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old June 6, 2010

My opnion

I personaly wanted to read this for a book report, but never did. I think it is educational because the events could happen. I think this just by the 1st chapter. Iwill read this book this summer. Ican't wait!!!!!!!!!Ps my star is just a guess i never read it.