All member reviews for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Kid, 10 years old April 7, 2013

Ok, but a bit violent....

The wonderful wizard of oz was an instant classic. You may have seen the movie, with Judy garland. The film is nothing like the book. In the book the tin man chops off wolves heads, and the scarecrow wrings birds heads. Then there's the bloody story of the tin man, in which he chops of parts of his body. That about the only thing to look out for, parents, the violence.
Kid, 10 years old May 18, 2013

Overall a pretty good read

The Wizard of Oz is a very good classic read. Most people know the outline of the story, and I did. But, this book had a few surprises in store. I don't want to spoil them, though. There are actually quite a few violent scenes, mostly with the Tin Woodsman cutting things head off, but that didn't really bother me, I guess I just am not that emotional. Over all, this was a pretty good read but if you are sensitive, maybe not.
Teen, 13 years old Written byVenezia December 17, 2012

A classic

so much better than the movie
Kid, 10 years old March 8, 2013

Good Book!

This is a good book, I finished reading it today. Violence: Two or three times the Tinman cuts of monsters heads. No sexy stuff, but Glinda and another good witch kiss Dorothy on her forehead (but their all girls).
Teen, 15 years old Written byrebma97 March 1, 2013

An overrated classic

I know this is considered a classic, but I liked it okay. I just think it's a bit overrated. I'd give it 3.5 stars. Violence: Dorothy gets sucked away in a twister, and her house lands on the Wicked Witch and kills her (nothing disturbing). As Dorothy journeys to find the Wizard, she and her friend come across some obstacles, which include the Wicked Witch of the West capturing Dorothy, evil flying monkeys, and other peril. The tin man is described as chopping the head off enemies, but it's not disturbing.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bymommavanbeek October 21, 2013

Not a book for kids, not like the movie at all.

We stopped reading at Chapter five. Horrible they tell how the tin man became the tin man his ax cuts his arms off legs, his head and then his whole body. Yep so I looked through it more and there is a part where bees are sent to sting them to death. So little creatures are sent to stab them to death with spears which doesn't happen so the with beats the creatures. The book is not child appropriate in my opinion.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKatnissArrow5 March 14, 2014

SO CUTE!!

This is a really cute book! so classic!! I grew up on it!