All member reviews for Thirteen Reasons Why

Disturbing suicide novel examines bullying, indifference.

Parent Written byThe Literate Mother May 18, 2012

The Literate Mother reviews 13 Reasons Why

I have really struggled with how to review this book. Let me start by saying that I didn’t enjoy it at all. Suicide is a topic that we definitely need to discuss with our teens, no question. But I was disappointed in Hannah’s propensity for blaming others. Hannah’s method of exposing the crimes against her leaves no room for forgiveness or change. While she does accept the ultimate responsibility for taking her own life, she lays a lot of blame along the way, becoming by her own actions, everything that others labeled her. The main message of the book is that how we treat and interact with others truly has an effect. A quote from Hannah sums it up this way. “I guess that’s the point of it all. No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes we have no clue. Yet we push it just the same.” I think most of us, and our children as well, need a reminder of this fact. We can all be a little more kind, compassionate and understanding, because just as the people on Hannah’s list contributed to her fall, we each have the capacity to be the one who literally saves a life. Also, suicide is never a solution. Hannah had some really hard things happen to her, but they were not insurmountable. Because she lacked a strong support system, she allowed herself to believe there was no other way to go on. We need to teach kids that they can overcome anything. We need to empower them to face and solve their problems, not give up and run away. I also struggled with the heavy sexual content. I don’t think that we need rape, premarital sex, and a girl allowing (and by her own admission she does allow it) a boy she doesn’t even like to misuse her body, in order to discuss suicide and how our actions affect others. I am a married 40-something woman and I was very uncomfortable with the hot tub scene. I felt dirty reading it. What will young adult women feel when they read it? We can discuss suicide and the consequences of our actions without this kind of content. Overall I can’t recommend this book for anyone younger than 18. I can already hear the emails being written about how these are real issues teens deal with today, which I completely understand, but I think there are appropriate and inappropriate ways of dealing with them. And while books do offer opportunities to discuss difficult topics with our children, they are by no means the only avenue to start a conversation.
Teen, 15 years old Written byxx1214babyyxx September 6, 2009

I disagree when it said the messages in this book aren't good. Sure, its about teen suicide, and that is a very bad thing, but that isn't what the book is about entirely. In my opinion, the book is about how every little action that you do can affect someones life without you even realizing it. I think it can teach us all that no matter how good someones life looks on the outside, it can be crumbeling on the inside, so just treat each other with kindness and respect. It really helped me out alot.
Adult Written byJess02 April 20, 2010

Excellent Book

I don't see what's terrible about this book. It talks about sucicide, and how she was depressed. Like thousands of teens are today.This book could be very educational, and could teach teens how to choose their actions wisely.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycrushcrush149 March 8, 2010

Perfect in every way

I absolutely loved this book. It's my favorite book of all time. This book is gorgeously written, haunting and just all over great. It deals with topics such as rape, murder, drugs, alcohol, depression and, of course, suicide. Though I know some parents will be a bit protective with letting their kids read this because of the topics but the book is amazing and letting your kid read this will only broaden their horizon and teach them about valuable life lessons. Man that sounded cheesy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byI izz awsom February 16, 2011

LOVE IT!

Love the book. It left me scarred with the fact that someone could face so much in just about 17 years of her life It made me cry. But like Ruby29290 said it's better to know earlier then later on in life so you could be prepared. This is one of my fav books though!
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bycookie2001 April 8, 2010

The only redeeming character is a boy that befriended the main character. Ironically the suicide girl wants to make him feel badly after she committed suicide. At the end of the book it depicts this boy as feeling responsible and feeling that he should try to help other lonely kids. So if this book conveys the msg don't say anything that is mean, fine, but the msg should also include if you feel someone might commit suicide seek help from an adult. Responsible adults were absent from this book. It is a depressing book and unfortunately does not present information on how to deal with a suicidal person.
Parent Written byGabrialGrewOnUp May 30, 2011

It's truly informative, It's truly true. It's the truth that you need to know about you.

I thought this book was very well written, and being that I'm 18 I dind't find to much wrong with it. Althought it is not something I would recommend for younger ages. I lent this book to some of my friend's when I was done with it and it was interesting to see the mixed reviews, some of them understood why I loved it so much while others couldn't understand what just happened, they had been hoping for a perfectly happy ending in which Hannah had saved herself - which of course if that had happened we wouldn't have a book. I myself was hoping maybe she went back to her home town and just didn't tell anyone. But the book is very informative it covers a subject most authors tend to shy away from and doesn't just mention it. The book is full of teen problems - I mean not every teen may have a peeping tom, or a party every weekend - but a lot of us go through points in our life where we're harrassed by someone, or are feeling down and just need to be told that we're special to somone. I really enjoyed it and although it may have certain thins that are off putting to you, I think the book is a must read for all teenagers. There's never a reason to kill yourself, and everyone who feels that way needs to look for some help, whether it's a friend, or a help line, just because someone says something about you, or people talk about you behind your back, doesn't mean any of it's true.
Adult Written byBrej123 April 5, 2012

I loved this book and it was one of my favorites and in a way still is but I gave it one star because....

This is a very entertaining and powerful book however for some people it could trigger suicide. In a way it glamorizes her suicide and for some people this could lead them to commit suicide. You probably think this is ridiculous but I know firsthand it isn't. Of course the majority of people are not going to respond to it that way. For those people they could learn to watch out for someone who might harm their-self or realize that Hannah's problems weren't so bad and she could of gotten through them. Also my other issue with the book is while she went through some tough stuff there are people facing much harder challenges. What type of message does this book send to them?
Teen, 13 years old Written byRuby29290 February 11, 2011

should learn earlier then being too later

I read it when i was 12, and i think it was kinda cool. And it kinda help me act the way i shouldn't be acting. For parents who think its not appropriate for 13 below. Isn't it better to know things earlier? i mean some kids go through it earlier then 13. so its just a thing to think about, people will have to learn/know later on they should be prepared....
Teen, 15 years old Written bySky Could Be Blue December 5, 2010

Horrible Read

This book is horrible. The main character is extremely weak and if you CAN list 13 reasons to off yourself...you're living a pretty good life. The story just gets ridiculous and it's full of drama. Not realistic, rather disturbing, and just idiotic. I've gone through very similar things in my life and I wasn't as idiotic as the main character.
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written byConnectedMom2010 June 23, 2010

Every high school student should read this now

Every kid 14 and older should read this book. I think this book applies not only to teenage suicide, but to many other issues facing our children today. Everyone (including adults) can find themselves in this book, whether you are the troubled, the trouble causing, or trouble- enabling. This book will definitely stay with you for a long time after you finish reading - hopefully, it can help you to become a more compassionate and understanding person. I know it has changed the way I look at people and what they may be experiencing. A must-read.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byMarsBars March 7, 2010

Teaches a valuable lesson

This was a great book. I wouldn't recommend it for an elementary school aged child, but middle and high school students should definitely read this book. It sends a message to kids on how you should treat people well, and though you may not realize it, every negative thing you do has a negative effect. It can be used to teach tweens and teens to be decent people, not to mention how they should reach out to someone they think might be in trouble.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJeannie17 October 17, 2011

my opinion,

i think it can be very confusing, and possibly too deep for younger people, I'm 15 and i could barely fight back the tears at times...
Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written by4CKids April 19, 2011

GREAT UNIVERSAL MESSAGE for High Schoolers

This book was a page turner for me as an adult. Much of the story line had an "I can relate" factor. Loved it! Well written for sure. GREAT UNIVERSAL MESSAGE for those entering High School, but NOT for those under 14 in my opinion. The sexual content (rape,fourplay,inuendos) is too much for the age group. I would not let my preteen read this until all of the topics related to this book have been addressed between parent and child thoroughly.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bygbatt December 21, 2010

Not good for younger than 13. Should be older than 13 at least.

I am 12 and I read Thirteen Reasons Why. It was not appropriate for anyone younger than 13. Although I didn't understand some of it, it might be scaring for youth. Overall the book is good but one should read it when older to understand.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysardine0212 December 9, 2010

Read this for sure!

I absolutely loved the book. I could not put it down in finished it in a mere two days! Although the book has some descriptive parts, it sure is a keeper. I liked the way the author used tape recorders and had the kids in the book know it was an old thing because the book would always seem newer. If they used texting, a new communication invention could have been invented the very next day without the characters even knowing it. Suicide is a hard topic to talk about and i think Jay Asher hit it just right. Lots of kids could probably relate to scenarios in the book. I would highly recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPeroxide Princess August 6, 2010

A fantastic book.

I love this book. It's tearjerking and heartfelt, and I couldn't stop reading. I think all teens today should read it, but only if they're mature enough to handle the concept. Suicide is a scary subject, but one that should be talked about.
Teen, 13 years old Written byb-balldude04 April 9, 2008

so good i read it in a day

This book was really good. There are some things in this book that I would not reccomend for younger teens. But otherwise it was good. It kept you thinking and you were drawn in by the tapes.
Adult Written byreadingredding February 18, 2012

Excellent Lessons, Unique Insight

This book is fantastic. A different take on suicide and important for people to read. It truly shows the impact every single one of us have on each other. I think it also offers a good opportunity to have a discussion about when you should do the right thing. I would definitely share this book with students and teens I know.
Teen, 15 years old Written byafrancis245 June 29, 2011

Book that will BLOW your mind.

Amazing