All parent member reviews for Thirteen Reasons Why

Educator and Parent of a 6, 10, 12, and 12 year old Written byComplementing Critic April 8, 2012

Great Messages!

My 6th grader read it. It has amazing messages about bullying and teen suicide.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bybookaffair December 20, 2010
I started off liking the book, but found myself not very sympathetic for the main character because there is never any excuse to take your own life. I really tended to feel sorry for the 13 kids that she blamed for taking her life. She seemed to put herself in positions that often led to her problems.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bybeckstr84 November 23, 2009

A must will not put it down

I loved this book. I think that every incoming freshman should have to read it as a summer read book. When I see other reviews of this book by parents I feel that they r missing out on the point off the book. I have only seen negative post but there r positives such as: Education…in the book it lists some good warning signs how one may act if suicidal ( characters in the book did not know them and missing the signs the main character was displaying) also Positive Message…Though out this whole book the main character feels as though no one cares but she didn’t know that people did care. High school is hard and this book shows how if you don’t feel like people care and you want to give up don’t because people do care. I also think that when kids read this book they can see how lying and ridiculing others is harmful in ways that we don’t always see. Yes there is talk about drinking, sex, and the lack of support from an adult….but let’s be honest our kids know more than we would like to believe.
Adult Written byraylo28 October 6, 2009
Love it. It teaches people that you never know what effect you have on people. Also for teens keep your eyes open because some of your peers are calling for help and trying to tell you without even saying it.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bypeony March 20, 2009

infuriating and compelling -- sort of like the teen suicide herself

The topic of teen suicide would probably put this into the "iffy" category for me regardless. But beyond the topic, the concept of the suicide getting power over the living by "forcing" them to listen to her tapes, while it was compelling and suspenseful as a story device, seemed to me to play right into the suicidal notion of "making them all sorry when I'm gone". The manipulation post-suicide thing was repulsive -- personally, I would have called the police if I received such tapes. So it took a big suspension of disbelief for me to believe in this chain of recipients going ahead and playing along with the dead girl by listening to her tapes. Thus, for about the first half of the book I wouldn't even have given it three stars; I found the device dubious and manipulative, and both Hannah and Clay overwrought, and I almost gave up on the book several times. However, somewhere around halfway through the book it started connecting better for me. As Hannah's story got past indignation over some relatively petty events to some truly distressing occurrences, and as her "voice" lost the snarkiness and got more despairing, and as Clay's role was clarified, and with the couple of "real time" tape records as more reliable narration, Hannah's downward spiral became believable and truly moving. So I ended the book still angry (including at Hannah and some of her choices), but I'd give it 4 stars -- partly because it was so successful at making me angry! But a depiction of achieving a post-suicide confrontation of and revenge on those who've wronged you is a rather romantic take on suicide, so I consider it iffy for teens.
Adult Written bykturke November 22, 2008

A useful book to spark conversation

I read this book first and then let my 12 year old read it. I think the book can be an important read to help understand better how one's words and actions can have a powerful impact on others. I would not recommend it to those under the age of 16 without the parents reading as well and using the book as a platform for discussion. Many important topics to be discussed including teenage depression, impact of alcohol on decision making, as well as the above noted power of words and actions and their affect on others. Even if your own kids may never participate in activities and social situations as portrayed in the book; they likely will know others that will.