All teen and kid member reviews for Thirteen Reasons Why

Teen, 15 years old Written byxx1214babyyxx September 6, 2009

I disagree when it said the messages in this book aren't good. Sure, its about teen suicide, and that is a very bad thing, but that isn't what the book is about entirely. In my opinion, the book is about how every little action that you do can affect someones life without you even realizing it. I think it can teach us all that no matter how good someones life looks on the outside, it can be crumbeling on the inside, so just treat each other with kindness and respect. It really helped me out alot.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycrushcrush149 March 8, 2010

Perfect in every way

I absolutely loved this book. It's my favorite book of all time. This book is gorgeously written, haunting and just all over great. It deals with topics such as rape, murder, drugs, alcohol, depression and, of course, suicide. Though I know some parents will be a bit protective with letting their kids read this because of the topics but the book is amazing and letting your kid read this will only broaden their horizon and teach them about valuable life lessons. Man that sounded cheesy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byI izz awsom February 16, 2011

LOVE IT!

Love the book. It left me scarred with the fact that someone could face so much in just about 17 years of her life It made me cry. But like Ruby29290 said it's better to know earlier then later on in life so you could be prepared. This is one of my fav books though!
Teen, 13 years old Written byRuby29290 February 11, 2011

should learn earlier then being too later

I read it when i was 12, and i think it was kinda cool. And it kinda help me act the way i shouldn't be acting. For parents who think its not appropriate for 13 below. Isn't it better to know things earlier? i mean some kids go through it earlier then 13. so its just a thing to think about, people will have to learn/know later on they should be prepared....
Teen, 13 years old Written byb-balldude04 April 9, 2008

so good i read it in a day

This book was really good. There are some things in this book that I would not reccomend for younger teens. But otherwise it was good. It kept you thinking and you were drawn in by the tapes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJeannie17 October 17, 2011

my opinion,

i think it can be very confusing, and possibly too deep for younger people, I'm 15 and i could barely fight back the tears at times...
Teen, 15 years old Written bySky Could Be Blue December 5, 2010

Horrible Read

This book is horrible. The main character is extremely weak and if you CAN list 13 reasons to off yourself...you're living a pretty good life. The story just gets ridiculous and it's full of drama. Not realistic, rather disturbing, and just idiotic. I've gone through very similar things in my life and I wasn't as idiotic as the main character.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPeroxide Princess August 6, 2010

A fantastic book.

I love this book. It's tearjerking and heartfelt, and I couldn't stop reading. I think all teens today should read it, but only if they're mature enough to handle the concept. Suicide is a scary subject, but one that should be talked about.
Kid, 12 years old September 21, 2009

Older Teens Must Read

When Hannah Baker commits suicide, Clay Jensen loses his crush. Things get strange when he finds a package full of audiocassette tapes on his door step. With these, he is guided around town by the voice of the deceased Hannah Baker. Clay Jensen learns the thirteen reasons why she killed herself. This book is definitely a darker one, but it teaches many things to children. Some may say it's a bit harsh, but it's very important. It teaches children not to judge, or at least tells them judging is wrong. It also shows the negative affects of bullying rather than showing humor in negative remarks, violence, and other actions. In the end, the main character is enlightened and helps a student that may spiral into the same problems Hannah had. All of the concerns listed are shown as bad in the book. It's educational and teaches good morals. I read it and I'm 12, but I'd say it's for 13 year olds. Parents should read this and decide based on the material in it and how mature their child is. This is not a novel for children under the age of 10, that's for sure.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCielphantomhive March 10, 2015

Deep book, conversation starter.

13 Reasons Why, is a book about (surprise surprise) a Hannah Baker's thirteen reasons for committing suicide. Hannah records these reasons on audio tapes, and mails them around to the people who are her thirteen reasons. The narrative is a back and forth between the boy listening to the tapes, and the tapes themselves. Which was an incredible idea from the author and helps tell an already amazing book. Their are some controversial topics, but I see this as a positive, because it allows parents or teachers to start conversations about the happening. Parents should know that this is a book about a girls suicide which can be a hard topic to read about.
Teen, 15 years old Written byafrancis245 June 29, 2011

Book that will BLOW your mind.

Amazing
Teen, 13 years old Written bysardine0212 December 9, 2010

Read this for sure!

I absolutely loved the book. I could not put it down in finished it in a mere two days! Although the book has some descriptive parts, it sure is a keeper. I liked the way the author used tape recorders and had the kids in the book know it was an old thing because the book would always seem newer. If they used texting, a new communication invention could have been invented the very next day without the characters even knowing it. Suicide is a hard topic to talk about and i think Jay Asher hit it just right. Lots of kids could probably relate to scenarios in the book. I would highly recommend it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybroadwayukulele September 25, 2011

READ IT

I think this book is one all teenagers should read to deal with angst and suicide awareness but it involves some very adult subjects that a teen has to handle maturely.
Teen, 13 years old Written byashleygirl68 December 14, 2010

this book is a great book. im 13 and despite the cussing and bad role models its a great book. and im not using the excuse of "everyone does it" but it is true 1 out of 5 kids in each school ends up killing his or her self. and i think everyone should stop judging people who have thought about it, and actrallly help those who feel the need to.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylaurencullen1928 October 22, 2009

Tween appropriate and why...

I'm currently reading Th1rteen R3asons why as an assignment in reading for a bulling unit. So far i think it's a good book. I am 12 years old, almost 13. I believe this book to be for tweens 10 and up. Most kids I know are mature enough to handle some fowl language, sexual behavior, and more. I recommend this book to any one looking to read there head off.
Teen, 14 years old Written byannaalexis December 15, 2011

anna review

Teen, 14 years old Written byleelee96 September 21, 2011

Amazing! :)

Teen, 14 years old Written bygreenloversara July 17, 2015

Teen, 16 years old Written bylillianpaige142 June 17, 2015

I strongly believe that this book can provide great insight into the mind of an adolescent who is going though trying times at school and/or at home. I believe that it would be destructive to not allow your child to read this book because although teen depression and suicide is truly terrible, it would be even more terrible not to try and understand it and not judge the book before reading the point-of-view of a depressed teenager's mindset going into suicide and High School. I recommend child and parent alike should read this book and learn from the mistakes that those and Hannah's life made.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJaswinder May 5, 2015

Annoying with others respones

I'm honestly annoyed and very angry with kids ages 13 or 14 saying that this is a great book. This clearly shows that kids now a days are adapting to the words Suicide as a word food or drink. Saying that " ooh it's only talking about Suicide which is common now days.." Is just making me speechless and scared for the generation to come. I can't believe kids have a though like this. I'm actually doing an assignment which I'm working on right now which is about controversy in young adult fiction. This book clearly is one. If kids aged 14 and under straight reading this book, they will clearly be open to the word Suicide and try to attempt it themselves. I'm sure in the books it talks about drugs and bullying, which happens in every school. After young adults read this book they will have an idea that ooh of course i take my my own life and end all this, like the girl does in the book. So please everyone think about this message that I'm posting. Let the kids have a safe environment. If you want to tell them about drugs and everything, then parents should sit down with them and talk to them about it. Not by a god dam book which gives them an idea of killing themselves because a girl did it in a book!! Be safe everyone that's all what I hope for all of yous.