All member reviews for Tiger's Curse

Twilight for cat lovers.

Teen, 13 years old Written bykitkat3798 May 29, 2011

Action/Adventure/Romance= Great Book

I honestly really enjoyed the book. I've also read the second one. There's plenty of detail and it is quite educational with all of the Indian culture. I would recommend reading it because there is quite a lot of action and adventure mixed with romance.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFantasyFan May 10, 2011

Not excellently written, but a good plot.

At first, I thought the book was pretty good. Even in the beginning, I had my concerns about the writing...the story and the plot are good, but the execution of the book was poor. There wasn't enough character building and I'm sure, with such a good plot, the book could have been an instant hit if the writing was better. I think it is better than Twilight though, as in Twilight, the books were all centered only around Edward Cullen and Bella Swan (Now Bella Cullen). However, the writing in Twilight, was better. In Tiger's Curse, we learn a lot more about Indian culture and, generally, it's much more educational. I am an Indian myself, and I can see that the author has gone into a lot of trouble on research about Indian traditions, culture, food, and religions. Overall, the book is okay, not very good, but it isn't very bad either. I was especially disappointed by the ending of the book. After building so much between Kelsey and Ren, the author's ending is kind of a rip-off to all the readers. Kelsey's choice was bad and unnecessary. I personally feel the ending was really, really disappointing. I understand that there's another book to the series, but I'm not very interested in reading it. On the whole, my advice is: Try it out.
Teen, 15 years old Written byClearastheSea August 6, 2011

Great for 12+

I'm 16 and I really enjoyed the first book in Colleen Houck's new series. Readers learn a lot about Hindu mythology and Kelsey, Ren, and all other main characters are good role models. Kelsey's reluctance to become close with anyone is accurate for someone who lost both her parents. There is some kissing in 'Tiger's Curse', but nothing beyond it.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 5, 2012

tigers curse

Families can talk about how male characters are often idealized in romantic fantasy. Can you find any real faults in Ren? Do these depictions have any impact on teen's real-life romantic expectations? Why do you think this romance is so popular? This book spent weeks on The New York Times best seller list for children's chapter books. What made readers connect with it? The fantasy elements? The romance? The foreign setting? The dreamy prince?
Teen, 13 years old Written byBookNerd1613 November 29, 2013

More Like a Teen Book... (Despite the kids telling you it's eleven and up)

Well, I just finished Tiger's Curse a few days ago, and I was pretty much in love with it. Sure, there could be a lot more improvement in characterization and a little less adoring of men, but the plot and educational value when it comes to Indian Mythology and such. Because of the violence (there are several scenes with mention of blood, killing, and pain) and the romantic feature between Dhiren and Kelsey, I would not recommend children under 12 or 13 to read this book. I was able to relate well with this book, and it was pretty well written. There were just certain aspects I liked a little less than I'd hoped. In general though, it was a good book for youth and teens, as well as young adults. Although I said to watch for "sex" there isn't any mention of actual sex in this novel. There is romance and angst, but the romance stops at hand-holding and making out, so it isn't a explicit kind of romance. I was debating whether I should place this book as "on for 13 and up" or "pause for 12 and up" but quite frankly, I think most thirteen year olds are game for this book, and twelve year olds vary in maturity, so just watch out for that. I personally think this book is really better for an older audience, but some twelve year olds may be able to handle it and will enjoy it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySabrinaMoon February 7, 2013

tiger's curse is amazing!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byfantasylife13 June 13, 2012

Amazing.....

The book is an excellent mix of fantasy, adventure, action and romance too. I really enjoyed reading it alot. When i started reading the book, i just could not stop. The book kept me engaged in the plot, and it really builds up the tention of the whole story. It is also very educational and explains alot about the fascinating indian culture, and life.The details are fantastic and really build a picture in your mind, but i have to say i was really disappointed at the ending. Other than that, this is a perfect book for someone 13 plus.I would certainly reccomend it. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byfictionalcharacters January 16, 2014

A review from a teen herself

I am almost 15 and I began this series in the 8th grade. I have to say that I LOVE this book! There is romance between the characters. Nothing more than kissing though. While reading this book series (there are currently 4, although the 5th one will come out later) I learned a TON about India and its culture. This book inspired me to want to know more about the cultures of the world and languages. This book teaches you some Hindi words as you read.This book is by far one of the best book series I have read. For those parents looking for a Christmas or birthday present I would highly recommend this book. It starts out a little slow, but then again what book doesn't? But as it progresses it becomes addicting and you yearn to know more. Another thing to think about is that the movie script is being written right now and the movie is expected to come out in 2015.
Kid, 11 years old November 21, 2012

AN AMAZING BOOK!!!! SHOULD READ!

AMAZING STORY, PLOT, AND DETAIL!!! I absolutely, without a doubt, LOVED THIS SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!! This book has a mixture of mythology, romance (appropriate), adventure, and education. I think Colleen Houck out did herself! I've read all 4 books and CANNOT wait for the 5th!!!! a definite read! For kids of all ages! (but not under 7)! =>
Teen, 14 years old Written byhuman1371 March 19, 2015

Blah

This book is basically Twilight. When I was walking in a library I found this book on the shelf. I thought it sounded cool from the very short cover description. I thought it was going to focus more on the adventure and the gods mentioned than the romance. I was wrong. The book uses every over used romance cliche. For example: "Our lips crashed together and our tongues danced in each other's mouths". In the middle of the major climax of the book, the author decides to focus on the main character's love life. The love triangle doesn't work because the other guy in the love triangle is only present for two or three chapters of the book. Read this book if you like cliche romances that get in the way of main plot points, don't read this story if you would actually like to see characters fighting monsters than arguing about their love life.
Teen, 13 years old Written byisabellla20 February 19, 2015

This book was a very good read, and I feel like ages 13 and up would be a good audience because no sex or inappropriate scenes happen during the whole series.
Adult Written byehlenat January 6, 2015

Great Book for kids!

This book not only tells a story of a girl in her hopeless teen years, aspiring to go to college. this is what almost every parent would want for their child, a smart girl, going through her problems, putting on a brave face for the sake of others and herself. She is truly a great role model, telling us to be strong and have an open mind. Your child will truly enjoy this book!
Teen, 17 years old Written by3drock3 November 7, 2014

BEST BOOK EVER!

Ok, it is not the BEST book ever, but it comes pretty close. It probably makes 5th place and that's saying something. I had never read a book longer than 10 pages twice until this book. That is how much I love this series. I recommend this whole series to any teen that is looking for an adventure with romance, action, mystery, history, choices, and just plain amazingness! This was my favorite book, the one I dreamed about, thought about, and talked A LOT about, until I was 15, and found 4 more books that just barely top this one. This is a NEED to read!
Adult Written by1mitsymoo October 9, 2014

Good book!!

I saw this book at the library a week ago and thought it looked interesting, after checking it out I went home and ended up spending the entire day reading the book. The book has a good plot, and interesting characters. I've heard people complain about the main character, Kelsey, and her insecurity. But thats one of the things that I love about the book. Many girls these days are insecure, they are afraid of getting their heart broken. Just like this girl, it is nice to have a heroine with faults for once, instead of being the perfect girl. I loved this book and I am now halfway through the second one. Definitely recommended!
Kid, 12 years old March 21, 2014

LEARNING

Amazing book!

I think this is an amazing book for tweens and teens! I loved the romance and adventure and I really like the mythology part (I <3 rick riordan). Some people say this book is poorly written, blah, blah, blah. I totally disagree! But I do think that it is a love-hate, but I loved it! I kind off fell in love with Ren and Kishan- they are real hotties! I loved Kelsey and can kind of relate to what she was feeling even though i have my parents) and think she is a good role model. I highly recomend this book and hope u will decide to read it!
Teen, 17 years old Written byKrazy_4_Kishan October 15, 2013

Tiger's Curse Series Is The Best Ever!

I personally think this book is one of the best ever written for young adults. Its clean and has action around every corner. Its about love and also about breaking a curse that holds two indian princes captive as tigers. Mr. Kadam is exceptionally smart and you learn so much from him, throughout all the books. Theres no swearing, no bad influences, and i generally believe that everyone should give this book a try!
Adult Written byabbacus September 23, 2013

Really good!

I started on Tigers Curse a little iffy. I liked the Prologue which was set about 300 years prior, and then when I got to chapter one I was a little disappointed that it took us back to present day. The girl who is the main character - Kelsey - I found a little annoying at first but I warmed up to her. The first 6 chapters or so were not exiting as the characters were building and the plot was getting going. But I realize that this is the first in a series so you will have some intro at the beginning. It was actually almost half way through that I really started to like the book a lot more. The action picked up and the adventure plot was fun. Honestly though, there were a few times where I just wanted something exiting to happen; and I wanted it to last for more than one or two pages. The thing that really propelled the story along for me was the romance that develops between characters. This kind of surprised me because usually I'm someone who likes cool fight scenes over the "love stuff" but it was really holding my attention. So yes, I feel that the romance is definitely the strongest point of the book! The whole plot line with the curse was good and intriguing, if not a little confusing at times. I liked the other 3 major characters besides Kelsey - Ren, Mr. Kadam, and Kishan. By the end I was rooting for them all! The story ended a little abruptly, but that's okay because there is a sequel. The Epilogue/cliff hanger was pretty good. I can't wait to see where this villain figure that was barely injected into this story goes in the next books. I'm not going to continue reading the series right away but I will get back to it soon! I would also just like to note that this book has a beautiful cover!
Kid, 11 years old December 8, 2012

BEST BOOK EVER!!!

This book is filled with adventure, romance, and action. Ren and Kelsey go on adventures and start having feeling for each other. This leads to many interesting situations that they have to solve. This book everyone will love especially tiger lovers. I recommend reading this book highly.