All member reviews for To Kill a Mockingbird

Stunning classic examines racism -- and justice.

Kid, 12 years old February 24, 2009

Great Book!

I loved this book! Its not very hard and i think everyone who likes a good story should give it a try. Scout is my absolute favorite character!

Fantastic!

I thought this was a great book for tweens or teens. It really let you feel like you were the in the characters shoes. My only complainant was that the ending sort of just cut off.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypuckgirl93 January 17, 2010

Incredible Story.

Simply put; this book is a classic! I think everyone should read it at some point in their life. I myself have read it 3 times. Amazing novel.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Stunning, Beautiful Novel with Wonderful Virtues and Messages.

To Kill a Mockingbird is wonderful. I read the book this weekend and absolutly loved it. It teaches wonderful lessons about tolerance, justice, racism, prejudice, and courage, among others. The content is iffy. Real curse words are seldom used, but n****r is frequently said. Violence is one of the biggest issues. It's described, but never graphically shown. A man is stabbed with a knife while trying to kill children, legend has it that an insane neighbor eats birds and rabbits. A wrongly accused man is shot seventeen times while trying to escape jail. No sex is shown, but a rape case is handled in mild terms and it briefly talks about a "wrong" infatuation between a white woman and black man. So, you decide on this one. The content is iffy, but the book teaches wonderful messages that all should hear.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Kid, 12 years old August 14, 2012

Will stay with you, FOREVER and always...

To Kill a Mockingbird is an ingenious, heart-splitting creation that slices your soul in half. It examines the unjust irrationality of racism, and just how wickedly ridiculous people can get when acting upon biased morals. It's told from a young child's view in a small southern town, crossing innocence with the adult's prejudiced world. Anyone who wants to try it--let them read. Children nine and under might have a tough time understanding the message behind it. I read it when I was ten, loving every bit of it. I can easily say I'll read it again. Content isn't really an issue, considering that the message is invaluable. The word n***er is used a few times, and the plot revolves around a black man unfairly accused of rape. Atticus is a positive role-model for anyone. He defends the accused without a bias while steely, racist eyes look on. There are quite a few witty lines I remember as well. This black-and-white novel clearly states the harsh blind-fold that racism can stick on anyone. Cruelty against blacks is, and always will be, America's skeleton-in-the-closet from the past. Anyway...Harper Lee is one of my favorite writers. She was undoubtedly quite bright and understanding. I've heard that she only published one novel in her life-time. That is somewhat disappointing, considering the play-on-words she must've obtained. But a true classic book that anyone should read if given the opportunity. Sincerely, BookWorm 100
Teen, 13 years old Written bysillysasha123 April 18, 2014

Exelent!

I read this book in English class last year and I absolutly loved it. it had very heart warming scenes and very very sad scenes and it truly teaches to never judge a book by its cover. I would say this is a MUST READ for any one 7th grade and up but not younger because there are some rather mature themes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byyoloswagtastic May 6, 2013

WORST BOOK EVER!!!

This book is absolutely, hands down, the most horrible, worst book I have ever read. My reason is, it is so BORING. There is nothing exiting that is happening. I have no clue why everyone is saying it is one of the best books the have ever read. There is no conflict, the beginning is very slow, followed by the whole book. NEVER READ THIS BOOK. ONLY READ IT IF YOU WANT TO WASTE YOUR TIME. THIS IS A HORRIBLE BOOK FOR ALL KIDS. DO NOT READ IT!!!
Adult Written byannproberts April 9, 2008

One of my favorite stories EVER. Read the book, then see the movie.

This story is told as a flashback, in the point of view of a young girl growing up in a small southern rural town during the 1930's. It is one of the most powerful "coming-of-age" stories ever written. Scout, the narrator encounters racism, violence, prejudice, jealousy, acceptance/rejection, stereotypes, and social struggles as she realizes the dangers, powers, excitement, and frenzy of growing up.
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

Beautiful

This is a beautifully written book, one of my all-time favourites. I am so glad that this has become required reading, because it really is fantastic. There are mature themes in this book however, so I would recomend it to 13 and up.
Educator and Parent of a 11 year old Written byhollandh October 31, 2014

so many levels to enjoy this book

I listened to the audio with my 10 year old (sissy spacek read it, yes please!!) Everyone thought she was too young. She absolutely was not. Shelearned so much from the book about history, empathy, human nature, and justice. Now, i cried like 8 times, she didnt get a lot of the tragedy or poignancy but she loved the adventures of scout and jem. And she has read it twice since, the narrative voice is so appealing and real. about the rape...thats what i was concerned about. I told her the yules (sp?) Accused tom of attacking maella (sp? Again....cut me some slack, it was the audio! ) and she was satisfied with that. However, of course scout asks calpurnia "what is rape?" To which cal ingeniously responds "ask your dad"...to which atticus tells her "carnal knowledge of a woman without her consent". Thats the extent of the graphic nature of the book. As for the N word, good opportunity to teach your kid how hideous the word is and how much painful history is bwhind a word thrown around so carelessly these days. And thats not enough to sway you from reading this with your child, letting them read it and reading it yourself as an adult. An absolute work of art. Perfection.
Adult Written byblueduck6 October 29, 2010
I think this is a great book for kids who understand (and want to understand) the racism and prejudice in the history of America, and it can be great for parents to talk to their kids about how society has changed . There are the concerns of very mild violence (our kids are exposed to much more serious violence much earlier - so it isn't much of a problem), the use of rude slang for African-Americans (this issue needs to be addressed to the kids so that they don't use it around their friends, teachers, etc), and the fact that the rape of a white woman is an intergroup part of the book (understanding rape and the consequences, how wrong it is, etc, may help). The good points are that the novel contains great role models such as Atticus, who teaches his kids that prejudice, racism, etc is wrong. Scout - who's age ranges from six to nine in the novel - portrays adult issues very well for a naive mind. Must keep in mind that the language used (1930's slang, pronunciation, grammar, etc), so parents may need to explain some words. But once you get into the style of writing, it'll be interesting to the end. Give it a go!
Adult Written byontherun April 9, 2008

A great story about respect

I remember seeing the movie when I was a kid. I'm really glad that I read the book though it has so much more. I'm reading it to my 11 year old. It is a great story about respecting others. Atticus doesn't preach to his kids he gently guides them to respect everyone. I would recommend this as a family read for all kids 5th or 6th grade and up and then watch the movie and compare it to the book.
Adult Written bysgsells April 9, 2008

Outdated

Comfy and convenient for white readers. Outdated, though!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySmartyPants23 September 21, 2010

Boring book

I usually love everything that I read and for this book I absolutely disliked it and I will never know the ending because once I hit page 200 I almost died from boredom.
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

A must-read for 13+

This book is a wonderful look at the south and people's attitudes. Its amazing insights and powerful message is inspiring and genuine. It is not inappropriate for children under thirteen, but the messages and reading level mean that a person must be enough advanced to get everything out of it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAJ3006 September 20, 2010

What does this title mean?

Overall this book was okay...until the 185th page were it got good. It was really slow but it has good messages.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJiles April 9, 2008

I absolutley loved it

One of the best historical fiction books I've read!
Parent of a 4 year old Written bylove_to_read_2 March 4, 2010

Timeless classic that offers many lessons to readers

Atticus, the father, is an exceptional role model who went against the grain during the time the book is set in order to remain true to himself and his ideals. Some of the other characters are a reminder of how far the south has come since times of segregation. Readers can learn from any number of themes present in the novel- importance of education, issues with intolerance, class and race segregation, importance of family, and many others.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmartkitty June 16, 2012

to kill a mockingbird

this book is a beautiful clasic and one of my all time favorite books. it might not be aporipate for kids under 8 because it deals with raceism and rape.also there is some drinking but not much.there is also some swearing. overall I highly recomend this book.