All member reviews for To Kill a Mockingbird

Stunning classic examines racism -- and justice.

Teen, 13 years old Written byannalynpotato July 30, 2015

A good book, but hold off on showing to your children.

It's obviously a phenomenal book, and I love it but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone younger than thirteen. Prematurely exposing them to the racism and drugs in this novel could have a negative impact. Even though both the racism, violence, and drugs are shown in a negative view, the plain fact that they are so apparent might be too mature for kids under thirteen.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjujube14 May 16, 2015

VERY VERY GOOD

So this book takes a little time to get into but it is well worth it! The characters are lovable and there are several great role models. It's a really sweet book but it's also very very serious. (To be honest I was assigned to read it and was kinda not excited but now its probably one of my favorites.) :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byAtticus_Potter October 25, 2013

Must read for any mature person.

I think this book is great for MATURE tweens and teens. It delves into the topics or racism/segregation, prejudice, rape, violence, lying, corruption, KKK, drugs, and alcohol. Some things play a larger role in the story than others. I read it when I was 11 I believe. I loved it and I understood what was happening in the story, but I'm also very mature for my age and always have been. The first time I read it was in 7th grade english class, and most of my class was hysterical when the judge said "sexual intercourse" which is why you need to be judgmental about the child's maturity. But in the end it was an amazing book, one of my favorites, and it teaches many important lessons. I would recommend this for people in their mid-teens or really mature kids younger than that, however I feel that anything below 10 is a little too early.
Kid, 12 years old June 19, 2013

Amazing.

It is a very well-written book. It is incredible. I am twelve, and I have read it for a report for seventh grade. It has some language in it;it is not over the top, but there are little things in there. There is violence and drinking, and a man being accused of rape. It is a wonderful book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykellikc May 25, 2013

Instant Classic..

Amazing Book, you just have to read it.. I do think it is a little too mature for kids under the age of 13 for its language and violence but truly a fantastic story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAngelsBaseball October 16, 2012

To Kill a Mockingbird

Very good and intriguing!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byBabyGirl1091996 September 28, 2012

An Amazing Story!

This story is put together very good! It's an amazing story about Jem and Scout Finch who are the children of Atticus. Atticus defends Tom Robinson, accused of raping Mayella Ewell. The children go through a lot of problems with the adults and other children in town. The end is absolutely great! I believe any children above the age of 14 could easily enjoy this book!
Kid, 12 years old September 27, 2012

A bad happening.

its good but the violence and drinking etc; is like not good for kids really the language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byravenclaw1999 August 5, 2012

Absolutely wonderful

This is a really really good book that exposes the truth about racism back then. It doesn't sugar-coat anything and that's what I love about the book. Granted, it does say the N word a lot but that's just the way it was back then. It isn't boring like most American classics like Treasure Island. I really enjoyed this summery, refreshing read.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRickJames July 10, 2012

HORRIBLE!

One of the most boring books ive had to read -_- i cannot keep up with the first couple chapters because it seems to be talking about the same thing over and over... glad i got it over with probably wont touch the book again after i return it...
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Hannah Claire June 12, 2012

One of my favorite books

This was an amazing book but I kind of wish that I had waited a year. The amount of language in it aggravated me. There is someone who is addicted to morphine, a little girl who cusses, and rape. It is a book that everyone should read. Just remember that it is for mature readers, not for your fifth grader.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhowrselover June 10, 2012

A beautiful, timeless classic

To Kill a Mockingbird is undoubtedly one of the best books I have ever read. Inside it is a full picture of a rural, depression-era town through the eyes of the beloved, inquisitive Scout, an important lesson on racism and prejudice in general, stereotypes, and loss of innocence. It is quite literally a must-read.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 8, 2012

Really good, but could have been better.

I really liked this book. I thought the first half or so was slow and kind of boring, but it picked up, and I loved the second half. The ending paragraph was great (that may sound a little weird). It is told from the point of view of a young girl, and that makes the story more enjoyable, and also gives it more meaning.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybooklover519 June 3, 2012

Very Good

I think this book deserves five stars, and I normally don't give that out. The only reason I put violence in description is because there is, but compared to many other books not that much. It has strong values especially about racism. I read this book when I was eleven and understood fine.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM May 25, 2012

One of the best classics out there

Assigned at the beginning of English class, into it by the first page, eye-glued by the next few chapters, raving about smack before I even finished the book. That is how good Harper Lee's masterpiece about growing up, life in the South during the 1930s, racism, and human dignity is to me. Based on how many copies it has sold over the years, how many English teachers have assigned it, and how many positive things people have to say about it and its award-winning movie adaption, many people share my view on it being one of the best written books. In brief, "To Kill A Mockingbird" is about the childhood of a girl named Jean Louise "Scout" Finch. Growing up in sleepy Maycomb, Alabama, Scout and her authoritative older brother, Jem, go on adventures with their summer buddy Dill, snoop around the mysterious Radley house, go to school, and witness utter prejudice and indignity at the famous trial for Tom Robinson's rape, where their father Atticus gives his famous closing argument. Lee is clear and distinct in her writing: with simple vocabulary she is able to expertly craft a clear, implying story in your mind's eye, and the powerful, deep emotions of the characters and time period are easily perceived by the no-doubt eager reader. Lee's mesmerizing narrator is the grown up Scout, her critical, tomboy main character within the story. The narrators style of telling the story contains clear memory, containing under her history her opinions and emotions in such a way you feel like you are feeling a thick mattress and can detect the painful bumps and soft centers of Scout's eventful childhood, made so by her lawyer father's stead-fast views on morality and the heart-felt lessons he taught her. The characters are marvelously realistic: Scout being a free-thinking tomboy, Jem being the smart, commanding older brother, Atticus the moral, intellectual lawyer, Dill being the "aw!" stirring, sensitive doll (in a good way), and the myriad of other characters all being outstanding in their characterization and roles in the story; all being wonderful role models or examples, good or bad, for readers to decipher and think about. And the messages... oh, don't get an English teacher started, your talk won't end too soon! Numerous messages pertaining to prejudice, growing up, conflicts, human nature, and justice fill the novel, making this novel a treasure that anyone will think back to and wonder about. This is an awesome read for teenagers who are appreciative of classics and how they changed culture and our views. I would recommend it to anybody, so would you after you read this.
Kid, 11 years old February 7, 2012

A Beautiful Novel

This is my first book review. I chose this book to be the first one because this book is a masterpiece. This book tells the childhood of a girl called Jean Louise Finch. Her father is a lawyer and she has an older brother. Since this novel is set in the 1930's, this book is educational and tells a lot about the events during that time. There are positive messages and role models except with Bob Ewell. A man is accused of r-a-p-i-n-g a girl. There is a lot of discussion on this topic. There are hundreds of uses of the n-word, and some mild obscenities. There is also reference of morphine. Overall, this should be appropriate for kids 11 and up and no book can outdo this American classic.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycandygirl101 January 3, 2012

Different prespective

this book changed the way i view things during the Great Depression.
Kid, 10 years old December 13, 2011

READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!

I read this book at age 7, and it instantly became my favorite book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byyoungblood95 December 9, 2011

advantages of life

I think this is a good story for your kids to read because it shows how we have it better than most of our grandparents had it and we should never take advantage of the life we live.
Teen, 16 years old Written bytearayomerotorres December 2, 2011

Teara's Review on To Kill a Mockingbird

I think it is a good book to read if you are wanting to learn more about racial profiling.