All member reviews for To Kill a Mockingbird

Stunning classic examines racism -- and justice.

Teen, 15 years old Written byjonsnider September 25, 2011

wonderful

I think other people should read To Kill a Mockingbird because of the good morals and actions(minus the killing, language, inappropriate actions) in it. It is a very good book and has a lot of action and violence in it . This book could help others see why racism is very bad to the world. To Kill a Mockingbird has very depressing parts and some very amusing/comical parts also. I say every one should read this book or they should give it a second glance.
Teen, 17 years old Written byDogWoman July 31, 2011

Awesome Book

This is a great classic book
Kid, 12 years old April 17, 2011

Amazing Book!!!

I love this book! It was a little slow at first, which did make it a little dull but once I got really into it, it was really good. There is a lot of racism though and my mom had to explain some of it to me. Overall, a really good book!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byDancerGirl4 July 29, 2010

Aboslutely Amazing. Tweens and children may not be able to really understand and the material may be a little too grown-up.

I am in love with this book.It goes deeply into racism. There is some violence, but it's not bad. A woman is allegedly raped. Some racial slurs are used, but this book talks about racism being a bad thing. There are great role models in this book. This book talks about tolerance and loving your neighbors.
Teen, 13 years old Written byVelvet_Leggings_XD May 7, 2010

A very good book.

I absolutely loved this book. It's very realistic, and I really think that people should read it. Kids will enjoy it because they can easily relate to the characters. I think that Atticus, the father, is a brilliant role model for children as well. I was completely absorbed in this book the entire way through.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRAEVEN April 21, 2009

I ACTUALLY THINK ITS A FASANATING STORY

Oh. My. God.

Wonderful book about the dynamics of the South in that time. I haven't read it for a while (I first read TKaM the summer after fourth grade - it was hard for me a little but I got it) but I still love this book. It's very powerful, well written, and as an aspiring writer, I love the voice Harper Lee gave Scout. References are made to rape, and it gets especially iffy when it's revealed who might have actually raped/hurt the girl (I won't give it away) but nothing graphic is portrayed. Especially powerful is the dynamic between Scout, Jem, and Boo Radley. This book is appropiate for a mature 9+ and in general, 10 or 11+. It's a classic that everyone should read, and it teaches a great lesson.
Teen, 17 years old Written byregina1050 April 9, 2008

Teen, 15 years old Written bymaddiekate April 9, 2008

Required reading for 10th grade. AP & CP English.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophile April 9, 2008

Uh-oh.

This book has a good plotline, but the second half focuses completely on a black man supposedly raping a woman. There is also approximately 40-45 swear words in the book, which really turned me off. Other than that, a good classic.