All member reviews for Treasure Island

The granddaddy of kids' adventures -- a classic.

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byhannahrose April 28, 2011

Great for all ages!

Boys and girls will love this book about pirates and treasure and everything high seas! Adults will love it, too!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn August 1, 2009
This book is awful. Completely boring all the way through. It is the worst book I have ever read, and that is saying a lot.
Kid, 10 years old November 15, 2009

Yohoho!

I loved this. I think it is best for kids aged 10 and up. Not because of reading content (considering how young you can be nowadays for this sort of violence) but for vocabulary and reading level. Why? This book uses old fashioned language and sailing words, plus it is slower to start then more recent books.
Kid, 10 years old August 21, 2009

really good

Really good classic book
Teen, 16 years old Written bykenter22 December 18, 2012

Heych

Did not understand what was happening at all. For all I know it could have been fifty shades of gray.
Kid, 10 years old March 6, 2015

Amazing book!

My favourite from Robert Louis Stevenson. It's a thriller! Great for any age, I read Treasure Island in a Great Illustrated Classic's version. Makes tons of sense. It's a must read!!!!!!
Educator and Parent of a 6, 9, and 13 year old Written byJayne Smith August 6, 2012

Disturbing, but classic

A lot of ship terminology. There was some very disturbing and vivid imagery that I found to be downright terrifying (pirates curses, skulls grinning, eye sockets gleaming in the moonlight, the endless hunt for revenge, unexplained and horrific death etc).
Kid, 11 years old August 29, 2010
This was SO boring to me , i wouldnt recomend it to ANYONE . AT ALL !
Parent of a 9 year old Written byHomeSchool Mom FL August 1, 2009
Kid, 11 years old October 26, 2014

Boring/ Horrible

Hi, my name is Taylor Duncan, and I had to read this for English Class and I couldn't even read it. This book was so boring please don't even try to read it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrobertk July 17, 2010

Great Book

Great book. Read it twice!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySonofKatieElder August 21, 2011

great book

My son 9 read this during the school holidays and loved the adventure described in the book. Struggled a bit with some of the narrative but still managed to enjoy and comprehend the story. Fa. character = Ben Gunn
Educator and Parent Written bymmckaibab September 28, 2015

Why start "serious" reading on this dated work written in archaic English?

My son is struggling through his first weeks of 6th grade and we have no clue whatsoever how the curriculum designers think they are going to entice kids into "serious" reading by forcing them to wade through this seriously dated and simplistic work written in an archaic English full of jargon that is relevant to very few, if any, 21st century children. My wife and I share several graduate degrees yet we both struggled to make sense of this. Assigning this is a great way to ensure kids will look suspiciously on other reading assignments. Such a wasted opportunity to really hook kids on reading.
Educator Written byTeachMuch April 13, 2012

Violent and a lot of drinking.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 October 13, 2009

Kids won't want to read it if they don't have to

I read this as an assignment for English, believe you/me I wouldn't have read this on my own. But I'm glad I did, this book is basically the foundation for all the pirate-hunting-for-treasure scenarios you see so much in TV, movies, books, etc. It drags during the "My Sea Adventure" section enormously, and the language is all pirate-y, surprisingly no swear words. I recommend it.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byjimmmmm September 8, 2009

Great book

Gripping adventure. Excellent character development.
Adult Written byKeanu4chickens September 14, 2015

treasure island is bad

i thought treasure island was really bad. the grammar is a pane and to even understand the book. don't even let me go there. and to think that it was a 5 star!
Kid, 11 years old August 22, 2010

confusing for kids

trust me, no kid would want to read this. i have to, for this school year, and it bores me to tears. I just dont like the actual words, because its all sailing and old fashioned grammar. I'm 11, and i get very confused. it does help to read an old classic, and to learn about all the pirate stuff tho.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bykrstn425 June 14, 2010
Kid, 12 years old June 6, 2016

Very boring - not for me

we have been reading this book in school and it just doesn't make sense and is very boring. I do not recommend this book to anyone.