Kid reviews for Truly Devious: A Mystery

Clever murder mystery at truly hip, mature boarding school.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Kid, 9 years old April 11, 2018

Truly Devious is truly devious!

This is an amazing book! I read it in two are three days. Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson is about a girl who goes to a boarding school to find out what happens to the founder and his family. And (about halfway into the book) a student is murdered. Stevie Bell is trying to find out what happened to this student. I would say the educational value, positive messages and role models are all pretty high. Violence is about average for a mystery novel, so any violence can be expected. In murder mystery novels for both kids, teens, and adults, there usually is. (But not excessive or more than you would expect or usually see in a book). There is some making out, couples kissing and rolling around on the floor, and (cautionary for young kids) a scene of nudity, although not graphically described, and the more sensitive body parts are exposed. And if your teen reader can handle swearing (variations of a!!, sh!!, he!!, da!!, cr!p) then they’ll be okay with the amount in this book. I wouldn’t say there are that many uses of bad words in this book. When there is, though, you will find two or three bad words on the same page, sometimes less than a sentence apart or used in the same sentence. As long as your kid knows not to repeat those words they’re fine. Although I would say there is a fair amount of drinking by teenagers, 16 and 17 years old. There is one student who becomes drunk more than once, explains how not to get caught drinking to the younger kids, and one scene where a group of characters plays a game where one person says something they’ve never done and the people who have take a sip of the wine. Otherwise, though, I would say this book is appropriate, and mostly not disturbing. It alternates between two different time periods, with two mysteries going at once. When you get to the end, Maureen Johnson doesn’t reveal who the murderer was, so fans of this book will have to wait till 2019 when book two comes out. I know it is definitely on my list of most anticipated releases for next year!

Educational Value
Teen, 13 years old Written byChrysanthemum17 April 8, 2018
Teen, 14 years old Written byMimi Montague February 27, 2019
Teen, 14 years old Written byMayberry June 17, 2018

Truely, Devious

A very boring book. Not worth your time.