All member reviews for Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines

Real addict offers honest, mature portrayal.

Teen, 13 years old Written byedwardlover82 April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byloserreader April 9, 2008

best book ever every teen( 12+) should read

when i picked this book up i was not quite sure wat to think about it but once i started to read it i got rapped up in i could not put it dont it was so greatly written, everyone saying that its iffy and wat not is crazy everyone over the age of 12 should have to read for school its amazing
Teen, 15 years old Written byNeverEverShoutC... February 15, 2010

and eyeopenerr!?

all i can say is nic sheff is amazing he is inspiring the book is negitive at one point but gets very positive; he finds himself withought being high and its great it really is an eyeopener and it does kinda scare me; i will never do meth; and reading this book is one of the reasons.. [: GREAT!
Teen, 16 years old Written bymeekamay3 March 19, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written bytweaklover March 3, 2011

tweaklover

love ittttt!
Teen, 16 years old Written bytastetheknife April 9, 2008

Powerful!

It really shouldn't be read by young teens. It goes into detail of the monster that is crystal meth addiction. Very powerful!
Teen, 14 years old Written bycitykid96 June 9, 2011

Amazing Book

People say this book shouldn't be read by young teens but people should also see how kids can learn from this. this kids i go to high school now are like Nic and are going down his road. Reading this could make a big impact on their lives.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymrjetrocks July 25, 2009

dull.

This book was horrible. I never even got past the middle of the book because it got too boring. Nic's Dad wrote a book from his point of view as well. If I ever finish Tweak I might by that one. But this book was just drugs drugs drugs and sex for like 400 pages.
Parent of a 14 and 15 year old Written byLiz Perle April 9, 2008

Really tough stuff. Not for young teens.

This book absolutely requires that a parent dip into it before buying it for their teens. It's tough and raw and upsetting. And a parent will have to commit to discussing the subject matter and events with their kids to make sure that they focus on the message and not get lost in some of the more prurient details.
Adult Written byiluvmedia April 9, 2008

This book should be cello-sealed in stores ...and left there

When I picked up this book I thought it was going to start with the requisite sordid details and develop into a book of hope, personal redemption, etc but instead, I was shocked to find the graphic sex, drugs, violence, etc was still filling the pages when I gave up half way through. This book is x-rated and if anything will fasinate rather than instruct. The images leave one nauseous - sort of like the book on The Sharon Tate... Reading this book you have to wonder - is Nic still an addict!
Teen, 17 years old Written bynic010 July 12, 2010

I'm 17 years old and I read tweak for the first time and I absolutely loved it. I fell in love with Nic Sheff the first time I read his dad's book "Beautiful Boy" and they were also on the Oprah show and Nic was just a troubled teen like the majority of teens this generation. I believe that parents should not shelter their kids from what is really out there and preteens and teens should be more aware of their surroundings and how to prevent it. If I would have read this book when I was 13 it would have woken me up to what was happening to some of my fellow students and to have more sympathy for them. People who use drugs are usually not weird or social misfits it can be anyone that doesnt match up to the standard "druggie" profile. This book teaches various life lessons but it taught me to be more sympathetic to those who are suffering and don't feel like they will ever amount to anything. There is hope for everyone and sometimes it can be a little difficult to see that.
Adult Written byr3sid3ntevi1 June 12, 2009

You Will Freak Over Tweak

Tweak is just one of those books that draws you in from the start. Nic Sheff's experiece with drugs is a very interesting and yet horrific experience. The story is about the author Nic Sheff who relapses on Crystal Meth. He has many brutal and explicit experiences during his experiences on drugs. But i wont spoil the story. Nic Sheff has a very natural voice that is very easy to get use to. After a while you get a sense that you are in Nic's head. He is very graphic in his choice of words but it is just his way of being honest. His raw and yet realistice voice makes this book even more of a keeper. He is a great Author that fills in all the aspects of a memoir and then some. I think it is one of the best books I have ever read And I recomend this book to anyone who is curious to read it. But be warned that the graphic nature o the book must be taken into consideration. Overall it is top notch.
Adult Written bytwistofcain August 20, 2009

yeah theres a lot of drugs and bad stuff but the point of the book is to explain how those thing negatively effected his life so i think in the end it's a good message to not do meth
Teen, 15 years old Written bystoryofmylife December 7, 2008

A book full of soul.

I read quite a lot and in the past few months haven't found anything very interesting. Within the first few sentences i was drawn into Nic's hopelessness. When he relapsed i felt desperate for him. The way he writes is real and insightful and not skimping on the details. Tweak is an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish. It is a heavy read and you must be emotionally mature to handle it. All i can say is amazing.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bynedall April 9, 2008