All parent member reviews for Twilight: The Twilight Saga, Book 1

Parent of an infant, 3, 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byMom-of-five February 27, 2011

NOT for teenagers

I am amazed that this series was published as YA. It is a story of passion, riddled with sexual tension from the first page to the last. And, it only escalates in the following books. I liked the book, but, in my mind, it is NOT for teenagers, ESPECIALLY young teenagers. This should never have been marketed as YA. It is a book for adults.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byrunningmom101 December 15, 2009

READ AHEAD, BE AWARE, BE INFORMED

I read the book with my 11 year old daughter, I was able to answer her questions and glad that at least I know what she had read. I will not however let her read the next novel (new moon). I don't think Twilight was age appropriate for her, but once we started she had to finish it.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byAFJ August 30, 2009

A model of bad behavior

If you are looking for a model of bad behavior for your kids--this is it! Making poor decisions, lying to your parents, obsessive attention to romance and ignoring any educational value of school Very gripping, yes, but I think it is inappropriate for anyone under 13, and only maybe OK if these issues are discussed with them.
Educator and Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byBibliomaniac Mom November 23, 2008

An Exciting Read

I dont believe in banning books. I also don't believe in giving children more than they can handle. I enjoyed this book very much. From the start, I did my best to read this story from my 11 and 12 year old daughters' perspectives. They are avid readers, and had asked me to purchase the books for them. I had heard about some more mature content, and so I decided to read them first and then discuss the books together before they read them. I could see how a young girl can get very caught up in Edward. Even as an adult I adored him! The fact that Bella is fairly independent was a positive, but there were two points that bothered me; Bella does become completely wrapped up in Edward, she depends on him to rescue her from her clumsiness as well as her humanity on a reguar basis, and is this what a healthy relationship looks like? The other point is that Bella constantly lies to her parents. She calls her mom her best friend, yet refuses to be honest with her. All through the book Bella is extremely dishonest. In all reality, it is healthy for a teenage girl to have her own life and identity apart from her parents. However, constant lying and dishonesty to parents and friends is probably not the best example I can think of for my girls. However, it did give us a good springboard for discussion of what a healthy relationship should look like. This book has given us more opportunities for frank and open discussions, so for that I am grateful!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycrystalp April 9, 2008

Adult Written bypasserine212 March 1, 2010

It's alright...

Over all, there aren't too many problems with sex, drinking, etc., but the message (eternal love, willingness to give up your soul for somebody else, etc) is just a little too much for younger kids and tweens. Also, the book in generally isn't very well written, so no matter what age, should be presented as a fun, frivolous read, not (as I have heard some tweens refer to it) "the best book ever written".
Adult Written byAstoria-Malfoy August 24, 2009

I honestly don't see the appealing to this series, sure they are about "Romance" but so are many other vampire novels. Edward is over protective of Bella, I think this book is anti-feminist, and brainwashing the young girls, and even some lonely mothers.
Adult Written byReviewingMother April 9, 2008

A Truly Remarkable Book

Frankly, I am quite appalled at CSM's review. I've read the book after my daughter (age 15) and think it is a great book. My daughter's friend read it, gave it to my daughter, who gave it to another friend, etc. (It spreads like a disease among teenage girls.) I'm also a 6th grade english teacher, teaching kids in the Bronx, and have recommended Twilight to them. They love it and pass it around to their friends, who loved it, too. Girls of all ages obsess over it; I've never met one who has not raved about Twilight and Edward Cullen after reading the series. It was written by a Mormon, so needless to say it is completely clean. There's more sexual, violent content in Harry Potter than this. The two main characters do nothing worse than kiss. This sets a great example: though Bella and Edward know they are soul mates and want to be together forever, they never do anything reckless. Wouldn't you rather have your kids reading this rather than some of the trashier books that seem to be popular, like Gossip Girl and The Clique? (The CSM reviewer should have thought about that!) And do you really think your kids are going to get influenced by such trifling matters, such as a sleeping pill? Honestly, I'm sure teens wouldn't have even noticed such a minor part, had we not brought it up. It is such an insignificant part that it gets overlooked by most. If a sleeping pill is the most to worry about in this book, then be assured that it is completely clean and appropriate for your kids.
Adult Written bycodirogers June 14, 2012

Parents Should Preread

This book revolves around a romance between a vampire and a human girl. If you don't want your child, reading fantasy, this is an automatic red flag for you. Otherwise, Bella is a pretty good role model for the most part. She's smart and somewhat on the feminist side at times, but she rushes into love with someone who's told her explicitly that he wants to kill her and drink her blood. As far as violence goes, blood and killing is talked about very openly, and there is one battle resulting in death at the end of the book. The villain breaks Bella's leg and bites her while filming her torture to show to her boyfriend. Her boyfriend sort of stalks her before they date - sneaking into her room to watch her sleep, even, and he spends the night every night with her without the parent knowing. She calls her father by his first name regularly, and ends up almost getting raped. Alot of passionate kissing is described and Bella downs Nyquill to make her go to sleep. Brands are mentioned alot.
Parent Written byArcanite February 28, 2012

Uneducated and ignorant of mental illness.

Okay I read a few reviews but noticed no one reviewed the constant references to mental illness and wanted to speak about them. Just to let you know a bit about me and why I have chosen to write about this aspect of the book I will give you a bit of my backround, I have bipolar and seperate pychotic episodes they first started when I was 13 and as a result landed me in abusive relationships. Now I was disgusted by the authors uneducated descriptions of catatonia pychosis and depression as some one who suffered greatly as a result of these during my teenage years before any one knew what was wrong I found the book downright hurtfull. She describes these things completly wrong, forgets that pychosis is not something you get for a bad break up it is a genetic problem and adds to the lies and stigma that I have grown up with. The author describes what she believes to be pychosis as a controllable event that she can summon by being recklace and seeks to make more so called pychotic episodes occur (which is impossible if we could control them they would not be a problem ) describes them as being something good rather than the terrifying experience and effect they actually have on a persons life. Her descriptions of mental health in the second book are about as close to realistic as her vampires are to myths. Bella Swan is a shallow (she barely describes Edwards personality) girl who pretends to be a feminist with strong values while fantasising about being rescued. The entire story seems to be based around Bella being saved, which is more harmful because she claims to be strong and tells young girls that this is how to be strong and independant. And a attention seeking prat who wants to be really mentally ill for sympathy and attention (its not good enough for her to be severly depressed which is extremily hard going as anyone who has been there knows after a bad relationship and bad breakup, but has to have catatonia and pychosis as a result which is a genetic illness you are born with that activates at some point in your life) she tries to glamorize mental illness and make out its cool to hear voices and describes suicide pacts as being the epitomy of romance. The author is uneducated about so many areas of life yet instead of researching and doing it right has just thrown in what she thinks sounds right. I would not let my children read this as I think it is basically a Mills and Boon book with a vampire, that does little to educate and help understand others problems.
Adult Written byTemplar314 December 23, 2009

"Gee, it sure is boring around here." --Link

The excess of fancy words does not make up for the extreme boredom that Twilight induces. It seems as if after a few hundred pages of redundant romantic rubbish, Meyer finally realized that her book needed a plot, which is resolved with an unsurprising deus ex machina. All of the people that I know who enjoyed this book have one thing in common: overly active female hormones.
Parent of a 4, 11, and 14 year old Written byLoving November 1, 2009

Twilight- Okay

I think Twilight is the least violent of the series. My kids are begging me to let them read it, so I'm reading it to them. They like it but I'm not reading it to my four year old. It's violent and there is a bit of concern of drama.
Adult Written byldybugk10 October 3, 2009

I read this book because my 12 year old was DYING to read it. I was not going to let her until I read it first. While I agree that Bella isn't the greatest role model, she's not the worst either. She is very bright and does well in school. She isn't obsessed with her looks or being mean to others. There is not much violence in the book (though Hollywood made it more intense in the movie!). I though Edward was more protective than creepy. He knew when she was in danger and made sure to keep her safe. I think it's important to know your child before you let her read it. I believe that my daughter has a good foundation of right and wrong so I was able to trust that this book would not have a negative effect on her. She was only allowed to read this and New Moon though. I felt that the last two books were too old for her. I really enjoyed the entire series. It wasn't the best series ever, but it was fun to read and entertaining.
Adult Written byCrazyB April 27, 2009

Reinforces existing bad values

This is a very bad book. And I don't mean the sexual, I mean Bella - the role model of a weak woman. Her character reinforces the still existing values that women are inferior to men. I mean, think about it. Edward is the strong, immortal, indestructible one, wealthy and higher in status. She is weak, willing to give her life for him, lower class etc. Why on earth would we want to encourage such harmful ideas? Where is the independence of women? It was an exciting book to read, I admit that, but Bella is just such an awful role model for young girls.
Adult Written bygitty81594 April 9, 2008

Parent Written byChristianparent April 9, 2008

Sets a bad example

This book glamorizes attraction to "bad boys," teen sexuality and teen suicidal ideation. Why on earth would a supposedly healthy young woman, Bella, be attracted to a very angry, dangerous vampire, Edward? The answer is that only unhealthy people are attracted to other unhealthy people! Edward regularly sneaks into Bella's room and spends the night with her, deceiving Bella's father, Charlie. So, they don't go all the way. Regardless, I as a parent do not want my children behaving that way. Bella routinely disappears from home for days at a time willingly putting herself in danger, with minimal consequences from Charlie. And worst of all, when Edward and Bella are seemingly separated forever, both of them fantasize, plan and attempt their own suicides. Are parents out there so desensitized to the teen suicide rate, teen pregnancy and STD rates, and destructive relationships that they want this book to be an example to their children of any age? This book romanticizes unhealthy, self-destructive behavior for any age.
Adult Written bybroadwaybaby April 9, 2008

A bodice ripper for teen girls.

Thoroughly ridiculous and cliched, but somewhat enjoyable once you look past the purple prose.
Adult Written byBabaloo April 9, 2008

I make a habit of reading books I am unfamiliar with before I allow my kids to read them. That was the case with this set of books when my pre-teens begged me to be able to read them. I enjoyed it immensely, but quickly came to the conclusion that they would not be appropriate for most younger kids. There is enough "implied" sensuality that I was uncomfortable letting my girls (ages 10-13) read them. However, I also know that some kids in this age range may be more mature or have different levels of understanding. So my biggest advice to parents is to read these books yourself! If you enjoy fantasy/romance/adventure you'll enjoy it and THEN carefully consider your children's age and maturity level to determine if they are ready for some of the mature themes in these books.
Parent Written byHarryPotterHead7777 July 30, 2012

WORST.BOOK.EVER!!!

Bella teaches us overall that women are nothing without men that women are weak and would be depressed without a boyfriend or anything. It shows the opposite of what women are. And Edward is a sparkling pixie.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byjojovonjo July 28, 2011

WHY

Bella is the opposite of what woman in society should aspire to become. She has too guys fighting over her and manages to pick the @%%hole who wont let her go anywhere or talk to any other guys. He is stalking her from early on and she seems too just sting along too guys and in the end she gets knocked up and almost dies giving birth. Also I don't know how she got pregnant when Ed was not producing sperm.