All parent member reviews for Twilight: The Twilight Saga, Book 1

Parent of a 11 year old Written by5th Grade Teacher September 3, 2010

Not worth the negative impact on girls' sense of self

I read this entire series as a parent and a fifth grade teacher. I think this sends the wrong message to our young tween and teen girls: you are incomplete without a man. Bella is completely and absolutely absorbed with the men in her life and never completely becomes her own person. She is defined throughout the series as "Edward's human woman." This teaches girls to hunger after boys, make them the center of your existence, and find your own value only in their eyes. Ick! While the sexual innuendo is mildly inappropriate, it is the overall message that girls are nothing without men that is most abhorrent. Please save your strong young women from this message. BTW, a sex scene after Bella and Edward are "married" is both graphic and violent.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written bykimberlycreates August 22, 2010

Wrong messages about 'love'

This is not a love story; it is an obsession story. Bella and Edward do not have a relationship; she is obsessed with him. The best part of this book is when Edward pushes Bella away every time she throws herself at him. I believe Meier's portrayal of Bella's "love" for Edward sends the wrong messages to teens and young adults.
Adult Written byimpkat August 9, 2010

IQ Depleation

This book will actually lower your child's IQ drastically and set their expectations for romantic relationships too high.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bygirlymama October 8, 2009

Engaging Yes, Romanticizing Obsession for tweens/early teens NO!

I'm fairly progressive, yet protective of my children's childhood. We're definitely a slow-lane family in that regard - no major investments in PS or Wii, and only limited exposure to cable or programs that feature sassy or catty characters. Our kids play sports and have play dates, they don't linger much in front of tv or computer screens. I wanted to read Twilight because all the friends of my 11-yr old daughter are reading/have read it, and I wanted to screen it. While I found the book engaging, I don't much like the rush to obsession that is fully characterized here - and the false sense of security that comes from enjoying someone's attention, only to have it fade for any reason. I don't think it's a good fit for tweens or early teens. I'd rather have my girl read it when she's closer to the age of the main characters. It's just so unfortunate that such a compelling story involves abandon to the point of selflessness, but I suppose we see that in Romeo & Juliet and West Side Story, don't we? Even so, I read both of those in HS. There's plenty of other types of adolescent reading & entertainment that won't set up the expectation for, or romanticize such abandon of self and independence.
Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... July 11, 2009

*Sigh*

I'm sorry girls, maybe its just a boy thing, but this book is unbelievably boring. Its the book that caused nearly every single girl in my geometry class to wear a "twilight" shirt on the opening day of the movie.
Adult Written bystephrebel12 March 21, 2009

Adult Written byanniebannanie April 9, 2008

Adult Written byReada April 12, 2012

Teen Vampire in Shining Armor?

Over-rated romantic silliness--like "Harlequin Romances," if you recall those. VERY easy to read, little or no character or plot development, and full of burning adolescent desire mixed with a fixation on the "perfection" of vampires. Appropriate content for teens but not younger readers. I have a hunch that teen girls like it because Edward, a "perfect" male vampire, is in love with Bella but manages to control his lust for her as well as to protect her from every conceivable danger. He is the fantasy male for any teen girl: a "safe" man despite his fantastic looks, enormous intelligence, and sexual longing for an "ordinary" (human, clumsy) girl, who demands nothing from her in return.
Adult Written byBooksBooks March 24, 2012

Bad role model

Bella is not a good role model. She needs a man to complete her. When she and Edward are apart she becomes depressed, she simply can't function without him. Not someone any girl should idealize.
Educator and Parent Written bychinchillalover January 9, 2012

flat, one dimensional characters

Poorly written, with a weak female protagonist. Bella can't seem to do anything well by herself...Edward even has to remind her to eat!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byCORN ROX February 20, 2010

It is pretty Good but sure as you would know strange!

Okay so Yeah this book is strange. When I read this book it held my attention. It wasn't until after I read the book that I realized how strange it was, Obviously the Bella doesn't have a very stellar personality. Stephanie Meyer does a good job of keeping you interested in the book though. She ends the chapters at foreshadowing parts and keeps you wanting an answer for a question that is important. The book wasn't written very well though. This was the best of all the twilight books in my opinion. It wasn't as gooey as the other ones at least. Oh and it's a good thing Robert Patensin is the Edward in the movie. Especially the sparkle in the sun part. When I look at Robert I believe he is quite into sparkles and glitter quite a bit. So this book was okay. It was actually a really good book idea. So nice job.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byobservantmom August 19, 2009

Perfect for 12+

I loved the series myself and my 12 year old reluctant reader could not put them down! Traditionally, Vampires are portrayed as sexually charged being but this series focuses on real love and abstinence until marriage. Great series!!!
Adult Written byEdd E. Toure March 20, 2009

Umm...Dangerous?

I'm not quite sure how you could enterpret the book Twilight as "dangerous" or "abusive". It is simply a story. The words don't bite and while you may disagree with some of the content, that is no reason to declare it an actual danger to the mind's of young children. If the kid is intelligent he'll know that books aren't always true and you don't have to obey everything you hear. In fact, most tween readers don't even spare a moment of attention for Bella's weakness and Edward's stalker qualities. They're too busy reading about an innocent romance between too very likable characters. It's just a story. However, I have to say the I found it slightly repetitive and a little too romantically focused. Way too much of the I can't live without you stuff for my tastes.
Adult Written bySettingXSail January 11, 2009

Parent of a 11 and 16 year old Written bycoolmom26 January 2, 2009

An interesting read but not the greatest writing.

Meyer (the author) seems to be a good storyteller but she seems a little iffy on the writing side. Overall this was an interesting read for about 9-year old's and up because of the difficulty of perception of story and/or difficult word comprehension, not due to maturity issues. Lastly, from what I've read, this book seems more towards females than males though it I'm sure it would be enjoyed by everyone.
Educator and Parent Written bySTUDENT eDUCATION May 13, 2013

IT IS NOT FOR KIDS AT ALL!!!! TOO MUCH INAPROPRIATE INTERACTIONS!!!
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byLupak January 29, 2013

So bad

The worst book in the world
Adult Written byGaleStorm March 15, 2012

Don't waste your time

This book is really just a very long treatise on how wonderful Bella thinks Edward is. The writing style consists of overblown descriptions and very little else. Edward has a dangerous amount of power over Bella, and sneaks into her room at night to watch her sleep. Not only is this acceptable to Bella, she finds it "sweet." Edward is always warning Bella that if they go too far, he could crush her... which begs the question, why doesn't he turn her into a vampire if they love each other so much? However, throughout the series, he keeps saying that she "doesn't know the risks." No sufficient risks are shown to come with being a vampire, (other than driving over 100 miles per hour and endangering other drivers, and losing your friends because of your sparkles) and Bella is put in MORE danger than if she had been turned, due to her blood smelling so delicious to other vampires who are not "vegetarian" as Edward is. Other than the abusive relationship glorified in this book, there is very little substance to this story. I am a very fast reader, and books this long generally take up to three days to read. However, due to this book's non-existent storyline and ridiculous premise, it took me two weeks. And the ending is pretty disappointing, too. I was fifteen years old when I read this book, and I never want to touch it again.
Adult Written bycookiemonsterluvsu December 9, 2011

BELLA SUCKS!!!!!! JACOB IS SOOOOO HOT

THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME I TOTALLY RECOMEND THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!! this book is very educational. it teaches us all about the different species of vampires, wearwolves, shapeshifters, and crybaby clumsy brunettes
Parent of a 15 year old Written bypl360 November 3, 2010

needs a parent to explain/discuss boy/girl relationships

I think it shows a teenage girl who puts way too much priority on her boyfriend. She gives up her life and family for the relationship. Way too mature of a theme. making the girl look like a weak individual.