All parent member reviews for Twilight: The Twilight Saga, Book 1

Parent Written byHarryPotterHead7777 July 30, 2012

WORST.BOOK.EVER!!!

Bella teaches us overall that women are nothing without men that women are weak and would be depressed without a boyfriend or anything. It shows the opposite of what women are. And Edward is a sparkling pixie.
Adult Written bycodirogers June 14, 2012

Parents Should Preread

This book revolves around a romance between a vampire and a human girl. If you don't want your child, reading fantasy, this is an automatic red flag for you. Otherwise, Bella is a pretty good role model for the most part. She's smart and somewhat on the feminist side at times, but she rushes into love with someone who's told her explicitly that he wants to kill her and drink her blood. As far as violence goes, blood and killing is talked about very openly, and there is one battle resulting in death at the end of the book. The villain breaks Bella's leg and bites her while filming her torture to show to her boyfriend. Her boyfriend sort of stalks her before they date - sneaking into her room to watch her sleep, even, and he spends the night every night with her without the parent knowing. She calls her father by his first name regularly, and ends up almost getting raped. Alot of passionate kissing is described and Bella downs Nyquill to make her go to sleep. Brands are mentioned alot.
Parent of a 9 and 10 year old Written byBonna May 22, 2012

Twilight Saga: Twilight

The first book in the Twilight Series is the most mild. It does contain some violence and mild sexual content.
Adult Written byAunty Kat April 17, 2012

Sometimes Father Knows Best

on one trip to the book store I overheard a father arguing with his teenage daughter about how she wanted to buy a teen novel and he insisted that it was all "trash" and that she should only read classics. I was appalled by this because there are plenty of great teen novels with wonderful characters and messages that aren't as hard for teens to comprehend. however this was the book she was trying to buy and while I do not agree with that father entirely, I applaud him for keeping her from this disastrously awful piece of ... excrement. Bella is the complete opposite of what anyone would want their daughter to be. completely dependent, obsessive, no interests other than Edward who is a possessive, chauvinist pig. This book is worse than any traditional princess fairy tale in terms of molding the young and impressional into pining, brainless women or meat-headed, abusive men. Just don't buy it. I'm still trying to undo the damage this did to my 13-year-old niece.
Adult Written byReada April 12, 2012

Teen Vampire in Shining Armor?

Over-rated romantic silliness--like "Harlequin Romances," if you recall those. VERY easy to read, little or no character or plot development, and full of burning adolescent desire mixed with a fixation on the "perfection" of vampires. Appropriate content for teens but not younger readers. I have a hunch that teen girls like it because Edward, a "perfect" male vampire, is in love with Bella but manages to control his lust for her as well as to protect her from every conceivable danger. He is the fantasy male for any teen girl: a "safe" man despite his fantastic looks, enormous intelligence, and sexual longing for an "ordinary" (human, clumsy) girl, who demands nothing from her in return.
Adult Written byGaleStorm March 15, 2012

Don't waste your time

This book is really just a very long treatise on how wonderful Bella thinks Edward is. The writing style consists of overblown descriptions and very little else. Edward has a dangerous amount of power over Bella, and sneaks into her room at night to watch her sleep. Not only is this acceptable to Bella, she finds it "sweet." Edward is always warning Bella that if they go too far, he could crush her... which begs the question, why doesn't he turn her into a vampire if they love each other so much? However, throughout the series, he keeps saying that she "doesn't know the risks." No sufficient risks are shown to come with being a vampire, (other than driving over 100 miles per hour and endangering other drivers, and losing your friends because of your sparkles) and Bella is put in MORE danger than if she had been turned, due to her blood smelling so delicious to other vampires who are not "vegetarian" as Edward is. Other than the abusive relationship glorified in this book, there is very little substance to this story. I am a very fast reader, and books this long generally take up to three days to read. However, due to this book's non-existent storyline and ridiculous premise, it took me two weeks. And the ending is pretty disappointing, too. I was fifteen years old when I read this book, and I never want to touch it again.
Parent Written byArcanite February 28, 2012

Uneducated and ignorant of mental illness.

Okay I read a few reviews but noticed no one reviewed the constant references to mental illness and wanted to speak about them. Just to let you know a bit about me and why I have chosen to write about this aspect of the book I will give you a bit of my backround, I have bipolar and seperate pychotic episodes they first started when I was 13 and as a result landed me in abusive relationships. Now I was disgusted by the authors uneducated descriptions of catatonia pychosis and depression as some one who suffered greatly as a result of these during my teenage years before any one knew what was wrong I found the book downright hurtfull. She describes these things completly wrong, forgets that pychosis is not something you get for a bad break up it is a genetic problem and adds to the lies and stigma that I have grown up with. The author describes what she believes to be pychosis as a controllable event that she can summon by being recklace and seeks to make more so called pychotic episodes occur (which is impossible if we could control them they would not be a problem ) describes them as being something good rather than the terrifying experience and effect they actually have on a persons life. Her descriptions of mental health in the second book are about as close to realistic as her vampires are to myths. Bella Swan is a shallow (she barely describes Edwards personality) girl who pretends to be a feminist with strong values while fantasising about being rescued. The entire story seems to be based around Bella being saved, which is more harmful because she claims to be strong and tells young girls that this is how to be strong and independant. And a attention seeking prat who wants to be really mentally ill for sympathy and attention (its not good enough for her to be severly depressed which is extremily hard going as anyone who has been there knows after a bad relationship and bad breakup, but has to have catatonia and pychosis as a result which is a genetic illness you are born with that activates at some point in your life) she tries to glamorize mental illness and make out its cool to hear voices and describes suicide pacts as being the epitomy of romance. The author is uneducated about so many areas of life yet instead of researching and doing it right has just thrown in what she thinks sounds right. I would not let my children read this as I think it is basically a Mills and Boon book with a vampire, that does little to educate and help understand others problems.
Educator Written byLibrarianAnonymous January 12, 2012

Anti-feminist?

As a youth services librarian, I was obligated to read the Twilight Saga. At first, Bella seems to be an intelligent and independent young woman. She reads Jane Eyre. I get it. Ultimately, however, her independence comes off as just plain stubborn. Rather than fight for herself, she fights to give herself to Edward entirely and I'm just not comfortable with that. Her example is a dangerous one for young girls who are just experiencing their first relationships. Sure, Edward's abrupt mood changes and frequent absences can be explained by his vampirism... but he isn't exactly the model boyfriend. His treatment of Bella vacillates from frenzied to frigid and she remains steadfastly devoted, almost obsessed. The relationship between them is unhealthy through and through.
Educator and Parent Written bychinchillalover January 9, 2012

flat, one dimensional characters

Poorly written, with a weak female protagonist. Bella can't seem to do anything well by herself...Edward even has to remind her to eat!
Parent Written byBandsauce December 14, 2011

OH GOD WAT

fetishes thinly veiled lie within these books: necrophillia(vampires are technically glorified zombies ya know), pedophillia(edward dumps bella after the child is born and shags it) also, it teaches men that its alright to stalk the girl they like. nice.
Adult Written bycookiemonsterluvsu December 9, 2011

BELLA SUCKS!!!!!! JACOB IS SOOOOO HOT

THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME I TOTALLY RECOMEND THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!! this book is very educational. it teaches us all about the different species of vampires, wearwolves, shapeshifters, and crybaby clumsy brunettes
Parent Written byTwimom November 25, 2011

Perfect for ages 12 and up!

My daughter heard about these books from a friend in her fourth-grade class in 2008. She started begging me to get them for her. My daughter had always been very intelligent and an avid reader, finishing all the Harry Potter books by the time she was 8. I decided to let her read the first one, only after I had read it. I had mixed feelings about all the romance and violence, but since my daughter was very mature for her age, I decided to let her read the first one. My friend and fellow mother warned me about what was coming up in the series, especially Breaking Dawn. I snatched the books away from her and put them into "Safe Keeping". My daughter had screaming fits because she was so engrossed in the series, almost at the end of Eclipse. I was firm, but decided to let her watch the movies under parent supervision.A few years later, when she was 12, I was cleaning and found the books. I decided to put them back on her shelf and let her read them. After my daughter re-read Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse and read Breaking Dawn, she became OBSESSED. She is a Twihard, as they call themselves. In Breaking Dawn's first week in theatres, she has seen it six times already. I hope (and think) she will get over it soon...
Parent of a 18 year old Written bylikethewatch November 23, 2011

"Twilight" is about as emotionally and sexually appropriate as one of those child-size pole-dancing kits

It's poorly written, with flat characters in implausible situations, and that's before you find out anybody's a vampire. Better your kids read literature, even if it contains difficult subject matter. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about "Twilight" and it is completely unsuitable for young girls because Bella is flat, whiny, a victim, driven by shallow desires, self-absorbed, obsessed with a much older man, and she met this guy in high school. Do you want your daughters to read this? To paraphrase Douglas Adams, it makes me want to have a daughter so I can forbid her from reading the "Twilight" series.
Parent Written byTwilightMom October 13, 2011

Amazing book for 13 & up!

Twilight is a novel By Stephanie Meyers about vampire romance. A clumsy girl, Bella moves in with her dad after her mom Renee divorces and remarries with a man named Phil. Just like any other new kid she faces the challenges of moving into a new school and meeting new friends. She immediately falls in love with Edward Cullen and his vampire family. At first Edward seems to hate her because it's hard for him to breath around her but likes her later in the novel. Her blood is the sweetest and almost can't resist to drink it. There is some kissing and lots of violence because they're vampires. Stephanie Meyers wrote this best-selling novel and it's defiantly a hit with many teens. I'd say it's perfect for my daughter who enjoys vampires & were wolves a lot. It's also perfect for any 13 year olds who is willing to sink her teeth into this best-selling romance novel.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byjojovonjo July 28, 2011

WHY

Bella is the opposite of what woman in society should aspire to become. She has too guys fighting over her and manages to pick the @%%hole who wont let her go anywhere or talk to any other guys. He is stalking her from early on and she seems too just sting along too guys and in the end she gets knocked up and almost dies giving birth. Also I don't know how she got pregnant when Ed was not producing sperm.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bykidkate April 24, 2011

Sexy and desperate girl book

This book is really best saved for high school. It is the sexiest book without actual sex I have ever read. It is a fun and exciting book, but I don't like how the main character pines after a boy who is obviously really, really bad for her. What is the obsession of loving someone who could kill you? That said, it is a really fun book to read if you know what you're getting into.
Parent of a 4, 11, and 13 year old Written byjburnett711 March 31, 2011

I like these books because 1. Edward is entirely devoted, however eager to refrain from premarital sex- which is good, and- HELLO- very rare. 2. Bella has only had one boyfriend, Edward, who she ends up marrying- very good, and again, rare. 3. The families in these books are AIRTIGHT. 4. The main characters do not feed on humans, which makes innocent the whole concept of vampires- they actually fight the ones that do kill humans. 5. Both Bella and Edward give each other mutual selflessness which is necessary for any relationship to survive. I married my high school sweetheart, and I would not be opposed to my kids doing the same. I went to the #1 party school in Texas and stayed away from the party scene, made good grades, and dated the same person the whole time. I would rather my child follow that route then have a wildly social after-high school experience then have to live through the brutal dating scene college has or the peer pressure to go out every night.Lucky parents have kids that are wise enough to avoid this kind of behavior, however the VAST majority of my friends in college had a rough experience, and did things they regret. One thing that effects people then anything else, and I know because I was a Psychology major, is relationships! This book gives a pretty good example of that.
Parent of an infant, 3, 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byMom-of-five February 27, 2011

NOT for teenagers

I am amazed that this series was published as YA. It is a story of passion, riddled with sexual tension from the first page to the last. And, it only escalates in the following books. I liked the book, but, in my mind, it is NOT for teenagers, ESPECIALLY young teenagers. This should never have been marketed as YA. It is a book for adults.
Adult Written byHightower January 14, 2011

Learning Tool

It promotes unhealthy relationships as positive things. Edward breaks into Bella's room to spy on her. Bella is not very smart, even though she is portrayed as smart and mature for her age, because she stays in a relationship that is life threatening. There are a few scenes of violence and emotional abuse; but it also can be a book for parents to use to talk to their kids about healthy relationships and romance.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bypicklesmom January 3, 2011

Not a great book - but could be ok with a lot of parent input

Like many of the reviewers, my 12 year old begged to be able to read this book. I thought the story was disturbing. Sneaking into her room to watch her sleep - creepy. Staying in a relationship that she knows is not good for her - he's a vampire!?!. I even had nightmares about being chased by vampires. I almost didn't finish the book. But ..... my daughter isn't much of a reader and I want to promote reading and I decided that it wasn't much worse than the books I read at 12 - my parents just set me free in the public library. So, we had a long talk. I told her what I didn't like about the book. We talked about good boyfriend/girlfriend relationships and how you can't define yourself by your boyfriend. This is a discussion that will continue.