All parent member reviews for Twilight: The Twilight Saga, Book 1

Adult Written bycookiemonsterluvsu December 9, 2011

BELLA SUCKS!!!!!! JACOB IS SOOOOO HOT

THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME I TOTALLY RECOMEND THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!! this book is very educational. it teaches us all about the different species of vampires, wearwolves, shapeshifters, and crybaby clumsy brunettes
Parent Written byTwimom November 25, 2011

Perfect for ages 12 and up!

My daughter heard about these books from a friend in her fourth-grade class in 2008. She started begging me to get them for her. My daughter had always been very intelligent and an avid reader, finishing all the Harry Potter books by the time she was 8. I decided to let her read the first one, only after I had read it. I had mixed feelings about all the romance and violence, but since my daughter was very mature for her age, I decided to let her read the first one. My friend and fellow mother warned me about what was coming up in the series, especially Breaking Dawn. I snatched the books away from her and put them into "Safe Keeping". My daughter had screaming fits because she was so engrossed in the series, almost at the end of Eclipse. I was firm, but decided to let her watch the movies under parent supervision.A few years later, when she was 12, I was cleaning and found the books. I decided to put them back on her shelf and let her read them. After my daughter re-read Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse and read Breaking Dawn, she became OBSESSED. She is a Twihard, as they call themselves. In Breaking Dawn's first week in theatres, she has seen it six times already. I hope (and think) she will get over it soon...
Parent of a 18+ year old Written bylikethewatch November 23, 2011

"Twilight" is about as emotionally and sexually appropriate as one of those child-size pole-dancing kits

It's poorly written, with flat characters in implausible situations, and that's before you find out anybody's a vampire. Better your kids read literature, even if it contains difficult subject matter. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about "Twilight" and it is completely unsuitable for young girls because Bella is flat, whiny, a victim, driven by shallow desires, self-absorbed, obsessed with a much older man, and she met this guy in high school. Do you want your daughters to read this? To paraphrase Douglas Adams, it makes me want to have a daughter so I can forbid her from reading the "Twilight" series.
Parent Written byTwilightMom October 13, 2011

Amazing book for 13 & up!

Twilight is a novel By Stephanie Meyers about vampire romance. A clumsy girl, Bella moves in with her dad after her mom Renee divorces and remarries with a man named Phil. Just like any other new kid she faces the challenges of moving into a new school and meeting new friends. She immediately falls in love with Edward Cullen and his vampire family. At first Edward seems to hate her because it's hard for him to breath around her but likes her later in the novel. Her blood is the sweetest and almost can't resist to drink it. There is some kissing and lots of violence because they're vampires. Stephanie Meyers wrote this best-selling novel and it's defiantly a hit with many teens. I'd say it's perfect for my daughter who enjoys vampires & were wolves a lot. It's also perfect for any 13 year olds who is willing to sink her teeth into this best-selling romance novel.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byjojovonjo July 28, 2011

WHY

Bella is the opposite of what woman in society should aspire to become. She has too guys fighting over her and manages to pick the @%%hole who wont let her go anywhere or talk to any other guys. He is stalking her from early on and she seems too just sting along too guys and in the end she gets knocked up and almost dies giving birth. Also I don't know how she got pregnant when Ed was not producing sperm.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bykidkate April 24, 2011

Sexy and desperate girl book

This book is really best saved for high school. It is the sexiest book without actual sex I have ever read. It is a fun and exciting book, but I don't like how the main character pines after a boy who is obviously really, really bad for her. What is the obsession of loving someone who could kill you? That said, it is a really fun book to read if you know what you're getting into.
Parent of a 4, 11, and 13 year old Written byjburnett711 March 31, 2011
I like these books because 1. Edward is entirely devoted, however eager to refrain from premarital sex- which is good, and- HELLO- very rare. 2. Bella has only had one boyfriend, Edward, who she ends up marrying- very good, and again, rare. 3. The families in these books are AIRTIGHT. 4. The main characters do not feed on humans, which makes innocent the whole concept of vampires- they actually fight the ones that do kill humans. 5. Both Bella and Edward give each other mutual selflessness which is necessary for any relationship to survive. I married my high school sweetheart, and I would not be opposed to my kids doing the same. I went to the #1 party school in Texas and stayed away from the party scene, made good grades, and dated the same person the whole time. I would rather my child follow that route then have a wildly social after-high school experience then have to live through the brutal dating scene college has or the peer pressure to go out every night.Lucky parents have kids that are wise enough to avoid this kind of behavior, however the VAST majority of my friends in college had a rough experience, and did things they regret. One thing that effects people then anything else, and I know because I was a Psychology major, is relationships! This book gives a pretty good example of that.
Parent of an infant, 3, 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byMom-of-five February 27, 2011

NOT for teenagers

I am amazed that this series was published as YA. It is a story of passion, riddled with sexual tension from the first page to the last. And, it only escalates in the following books. I liked the book, but, in my mind, it is NOT for teenagers, ESPECIALLY young teenagers. This should never have been marketed as YA. It is a book for adults.
Adult Written byHightower January 14, 2011

Learning Tool

It promotes unhealthy relationships as positive things. Edward breaks into Bella's room to spy on her. Bella is not very smart, even though she is portrayed as smart and mature for her age, because she stays in a relationship that is life threatening. There are a few scenes of violence and emotional abuse; but it also can be a book for parents to use to talk to their kids about healthy relationships and romance.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bypicklesmom January 3, 2011

Not a great book - but could be ok with a lot of parent input

Like many of the reviewers, my 12 year old begged to be able to read this book. I thought the story was disturbing. Sneaking into her room to watch her sleep - creepy. Staying in a relationship that she knows is not good for her - he's a vampire!?!. I even had nightmares about being chased by vampires. I almost didn't finish the book. But ..... my daughter isn't much of a reader and I want to promote reading and I decided that it wasn't much worse than the books I read at 12 - my parents just set me free in the public library. So, we had a long talk. I told her what I didn't like about the book. We talked about good boyfriend/girlfriend relationships and how you can't define yourself by your boyfriend. This is a discussion that will continue.
Adult Written byliliaeth January 2, 2011

This is a terrible book and should be avoided at all cost.

This book has a terrible female main character. Bella is weak, self centered and utterly banal in nature. Her relationship with Edward who's behaving like a stalker, even though the book treats this as him being romantic gives young girl the idea that they should be with someone who's bad for them, who treats them as if they don't have a brain of their own and who tries to control them and their actions. I would advise any parent who decides to let their child read this, to be there for them and tell them why Edward is not an example of the kind of guy they should be interested in and just why they should stay away from men like that. .
Parent of a 15 year old Written bypl360 November 3, 2010

needs a parent to explain/discuss boy/girl relationships

I think it shows a teenage girl who puts way too much priority on her boyfriend. She gives up her life and family for the relationship. Way too mature of a theme. making the girl look like a weak individual.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byolaha September 16, 2010

I think it is a great book

I love this book although it has some uses of hell. I thin it is appropriate for mature 10 year old kids. If you have read the book you will know what. I recommend it for 10 and up
Adult Written byAslynima September 6, 2010

Perfect for kids who enjoyed the Harry Potter series

I've read this story a few times, and I've found that this is a very good starter book for tweens. My highlights say there are negative and positive role models. I think that the entire cullen family are great role models. They are polite, educated, kind, and have a strong sense not to kill humans, despite their nature. However, this family is very materialistic, my favorite character, Alice, loves to shop. Not very strong language, some kissing. There is one or two scenes that may be violent, depending on what your kids have seen so far. If they've read the Harry Potter series, this is nothing compared to the violence in that.
Parent of a 11 year old Written by5th Grade Teacher September 3, 2010

Not worth the negative impact on girls' sense of self

I read this entire series as a parent and a fifth grade teacher. I think this sends the wrong message to our young tween and teen girls: you are incomplete without a man. Bella is completely and absolutely absorbed with the men in her life and never completely becomes her own person. She is defined throughout the series as "Edward's human woman." This teaches girls to hunger after boys, make them the center of your existence, and find your own value only in their eyes. Ick! While the sexual innuendo is mildly inappropriate, it is the overall message that girls are nothing without men that is most abhorrent. Please save your strong young women from this message. BTW, a sex scene after Bella and Edward are "married" is both graphic and violent.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written bykimberlycreates August 22, 2010

Wrong messages about 'love'

This is not a love story; it is an obsession story. Bella and Edward do not have a relationship; she is obsessed with him. The best part of this book is when Edward pushes Bella away every time she throws herself at him. I believe Meier's portrayal of Bella's "love" for Edward sends the wrong messages to teens and young adults.
Adult Written byimpkat August 9, 2010

IQ Depleation

This book will actually lower your child's IQ drastically and set their expectations for romantic relationships too high.
Parent of a 11 and 17 year old Written byhoopster30 May 22, 2010

Incredible; teen girls and up

This is an incredible book!!! I am serious, if your daughter hasn't read it yet, she should because every teen girl will fall in love with Edward Cullen, the books main protagonist. He is a prime example of how young ladies should be treated.
Adult Written bypasserine212 March 1, 2010

It's alright...

Over all, there aren't too many problems with sex, drinking, etc., but the message (eternal love, willingness to give up your soul for somebody else, etc) is just a little too much for younger kids and tweens. Also, the book in generally isn't very well written, so no matter what age, should be presented as a fun, frivolous read, not (as I have heard some tweens refer to it) "the best book ever written".
Parent of a 4, 8, 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byinspiredby February 24, 2010

Teens & Adults

Love this book but I agree it's not for young kids.