All member reviews for Uglies: Uglies Quartet, Book 1

Thoughtful sci-fi about the price of beauty.

Adult Written byhublib April 1, 2009

Thought provoking for teens. I have concerns about the series.

As a high school librarian, I read the Uglies series to see if it would be appropriate for my students. The idea about a gov't that orders surgeries that beautify but dumb down the populace makes you think about priorities and freedom. The writer has created another word with it's own vocab, which is enjoyable. My reservations are how amoral the writer is in approaching teen drinking and partying and "cutting." Cutting doesn't show up in Uglies, but if you read Uglies, you will want to read the rest of the series, and later one of the main characters starts to cut herself to make herself more aware and alert. Eventually a group of Cutters form. The author is totally neutral in his treatment of the topic. My concern is that young people might read this series without thinking critically and think there is nothing wrong with cutting (or some of the other activities..., but I'm most concerned with the cutting). I plan to include this series in our library, but will paste a statement inside the front cover about the seriousness of cutting and websites for help.
Teen, 13 years old Written byadiamondinthedust November 17, 2011

I HATE THIS BOOK!

This book was the worst book ever. It did have okay reveiws so I read it but it was not good!
Adult Written bymrsthomas April 9, 2008

Good Book, but alcohol content an issue

I thought the book was entertaining. I'm not sure, though, why the author had to bring alcohol use into the story. It really bothered me that alcohol was being consumed (under age) and its effects were glorified. Other than this issue, I thought it was a good book.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bybrown_eyed_girl April 27, 2011

Still on the fence about this series

I really need to read the rest of the trilogy before making a final call on this series. I like the idea the author is trying to explore - what would you be willing to give up to attain perfect beauty? But I found the constant drawn out descriptions of what is basically a flying skate board boring and repetitious. There is a minor side story about a genetically modified plant that seems contrived to allow the author to moralize on environmental issues. As the main review states, you can see the plot twists coming a mile away so it feels like a sci fi novel dumbed down for kids instead of an intelligent sci fi novel written for kids. Not sure why people feel the main character is a strong female role model - she lies and stabs her friends in the back to get what she wants. It's unclear why her romantic interest falls for her before she does anything to deserve his trust or respect. Shay is far more interesting and I kept wishing she had been made the star of the show instead.
Adult Written byfelicia08 June 28, 2009

Good Read

I love the book and thought it was great. However, my sixteen year old sister read it and understood the main concept of it but had a hard time digesting it without my help. Great book and great concepts/themes to get young adults thinking about the materialism and perfectionism in the world.
Adult Written bycollette April 9, 2008

An excellent read aloud for the summer!

After seeing the 11+ age rating, I chose to read the book aloud to my two children (ages 9 and 12). "Uglies" is the first of a triligy by Scott Westerfeld. I thoroughly enjoyed the book myself. Reading the book aloud, gave us the opportunity to discuss several issues where the characters struggle with moral decisions. I am the kind of person that found the whole "Uglies" and "Pretties" labels repulsive at first glance, until I realized that there is really an underlying message there, that is basic and good. If you like to have a few books that you read aloud to your children during the summer months when school is out - I highly recommend this book. We have started the 2nd book in the series now! Exciting read.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypumpkinapples May 15, 2011

there's a message here.

I love the whole Ugly triology. (: i love the message in the story about how we're too obsessed with physical appearances.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrhirhi August 1, 2009

Excellent book for people who loved adventure- anyone between 11-16 would like this book

OMG this is like one of my fav books! it's about a girl called Tally and she lives in the furture. In the future when you turn 16 u get a life changing opperation and become gorgeous. But when tally meets a girl who thinks that everyone is pretty just as they are and that people don't need to change, her world gets turned upside down and she has to choose between the life that she always wanted or her new life and best friends! The descisions tally makes will blow you away!
Teen, 16 years old Written byEllen15 April 9, 2008

a must read for everyone in junior high

Tally grew up in a society that values only beauty. All Tally wants is to turn sixteen and undergo the operation that will make her beautiful. But when her new found friend runs away to avoid the operation, Tally’s operation must also wait. Instead, she sets out to find and betray a secret society that exists so people can choose not to be beautiful. While this book is predictable, it also provides an insightful look at why beauty isn’t everything. Everyone can relate to this book, and by the end you might just reevaluate the way you look at people.
Kid, 11 years old May 9, 2014

non violent, non sexual way of describing what our society has become

the story's about a society where when you turn sixteen you get transformed from an "ugly" to a "pretty" with a gruesome operation (literally like surgery). when you become a pretty, you get to live in a mansion and party and sleep late, but they also alter your way of thinking, which is why a bunch of kids run away to this place called the Smoke, and it's Tally Youngblood's job to find them. but trouble arises when she finds herself wanting to stay there! read "uglies" to find out what she decides to do!
Kid, 11 years old October 4, 2011

A little bit of both

This book was great! It has a very original plot and storyline, and has a good message. On the other hand, the book is a bit violent, but you kind of have to expect it from a book about rebels and what-not. Also, it didn't surprise me much and it was obvious what would happen next.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOGORMAN June 1, 2010

A great book for anyone old enough to understand what's going on.

This is a great book and I would definitely recommend reading all of the books in the series. It may be a little bit violent at some points but otherwise, it's a good read that's full of adventure. There is some drinking, but it's nothing bad. The whole story is based around self-image and government problems. It was really good!
Adult Written byKafin April 11, 2010

perfect for tweens

I absolutely love this book. It is very enthralling and set in an interesting setting. The characters are also very unique in their own way. The message it delivers helps make readers think about the future. But there are some things that are slightly mature, so this is mostly recommended for teenagers.
Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2010

Brilliant... Definately a Buy

This was a fantastic book. The first book left me madly flipping the pages of Uglies' two sequels, Pretties and Specials. Great, great series. Brilliant, I'd venture even. This piece really made me stop and thing about our physical obsession to appear beautiful, especially with girls my age. It makes you think... do we have it set in our mind already that we are ugly? Most of us do, and it's not our fault. It takes a hit on a girl's self esteem to see a retouched photo of a model in a magazine. That is the equivalent to the girls of Tally's world looking up to the "Pretties". This book really questions that way of thinking. Great read, I'd recommend it to anyone, to EVERYONE. Buy it.
Parent of a 1, 8, and 11 year old Written bybsteinbe September 8, 2009

Exciting and interesting!

I wish Scott Westerfeld (who wrote the Uglies series) had also written the Twilight series. It has all of the page-turning excitement, fantasy and romance. But yet it actually features a strong female heroine who kicks butt instead of waiting around to be rescued.
Educator and Parent of a 7, 9, and 11 year old Written bycaro73 July 31, 2015

Better than Hunger Games

I read the quartet a few years ago (prior to Hunger games) to review for my students and I loved them. In particular, I thought Westerfeld did a wonderful job with the action scenes as well as the strong female main character. Last year my ten year old daughter fell for these books for the same reason, and she also loves the technology. She was completely pulled in to the Uglies universe and is disappointed that the water/magnet driven skateboard hasn't been invented yet...
Teen, 15 years old Written bySakinarahman May 21, 2011

Perfect for teens and adults!

I like it, but wish Tally would stop complaining about her looks and peoples.But it's good! :)
Teen, 13 years old Written bybookworm115 December 13, 2010

ummmm......

i kinda got bored in this series and i really dont know why, its a good story plot, but it just needs to keep the pace going i wouldnt recomend this to my friends because to read this you have to really like reading but if you dont then you might start snoring in the end, it was very predictable which is why i stoped on the second book, because i already knew what was going to happen and i like books that have to keep you guessing, but when you know wats going to happen, then all the fun is taken away, just be warned, its a good book, but it could use a lot of improvment
Teen, 13 years old Written byTwilightfan30987 July 7, 2009

Nice and Different

This book was great! It delivers a change from the vampire fiction stories that are everywhere today. Don't get me wrong, I love vampires, just look at my username. But when you kind of just need a break from the supernatural, pick up this book and give it a try. The plot was excellent. I wish I could have a *SPOILERS* hoverboard! And I think the idea of not judging people is great, but I don't agree with the cities rules and 'lesions'. But nice and appropriate.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjennyconley2006 April 9, 2008