Dramatic, complex tale has rich characters, emotional depth.

Teen, 13 years old Written byK bug March 26, 2013

Go read it!

Amazing! Everybody should get a chance to read this great book. Go read it!
Parent Written byDavidH June 30, 2014

Great book for older teens

I recently read this book with my 9 year old daughter. I think it's an excellent book but I also think Common Sense Media's age estimate of 10 years old is much too young for this book. SPOILER ALERT... This book deals with some intensely sad events in a young girl's life including her mother's miscarriage, a car crash that killed a woman's husband and blinded this woman's mother, and the eventual discovery that the girl's mom was killed in a bus crash and won't be returning home. I think it's too sad for age 10.
Adult Written bynick_fsx March 2, 2015

Terrible

This book contains no catastrophic events and no excitement. Read this if you have no sense of what good books look like.
Kid, 11 years old March 9, 2014

Spoilers....W2M

I have mixed emotions about this book... I have to read this book for school,right? So we are reading in class and there is this gory,graphic description of a woman killing her husband. (I don't think she really does that though.)THAT'S JUST ONE OF THE PROBLEMS I HAVE WITH THIS BOOK. Here is my FULL list of what I hate about this book. 1.A grown 40ish woman makes out with a teenager.2.Graphic,gory descriptions of a woman ''chopping up her husband into a million little pieces'' just because her last name is Cadaver. 3.A bunch of talk about kissing....13 year-olds kissing.....4.Minor swearing, as well as talking about race issues....5.13 year-old smokes a pipe.6.Mother runs away.Dies in car accident.7.Phoebe's mom has an affair(doesn't get married,I think) 8.I think Phoebe's mom runs away 9.Gram gets bitten by a snake AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON! I really don't recommend this book. It does have an original plot,and characters,but the themes about dieing, and death, and stuff like that, it's just 2 much. i just finished ''Replay'' by Sharon Creech, and I LOVED IT. It wasn't too graphic,only the main character's friend's brother died.Mild injuries, from playing sports and stuff.Not too much sexual stuff either. It was almost perfect.Every author has their flop.And sadly,Sharon Creech, this is yours.
Parent Written bymckenzie1 January 31, 2015

Its satisfying

This is a great book even though it has some sexual content and a lot of sad moments some kids need that in their life because if they read this book they can do what Sal would do if any kids go through what Sal was going through
Teen, 13 years old Written bylannaia1 October 5, 2014

Boring

for basically the whole book the girl is having stupid and absolutely pointless conversations with her grandparents and whenever you think something will fiinally happen thats not completeley and utterly boring nothing happens!. The characters are plain and uninteresting. Sharon Creeches other books are amazing but this one is SO SO SO BAD
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2016

THis is one of the best stories

You should read Walk Two Moons because many people can connect to this story, it teaches you a valuable lesson, and it has a heart stopping plot change. This story has so many feeling it makes you feel like you are in the story while it is going on. In this story you will see love, loss, and friendship
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoahC207 September 27, 2016

Easily the most boring book I ever read.

So I am reading this book in school. We have only read up to chapter 8 and i'm already EXTREMELY bored of this book. Most of the book is just about having pointless conversations with her grandparents. The story also progresses very, very slowly. Basically the only notable thing that has happened up to up to chapter 8 is Sal goes on a road trip to Idaho to see her mom that left her... that's it. Also,the story is supposed to be about Sal wanting to see her mom again, but instead of focusing on that the author talks about pointless stories about Sal and Phoebe having dinner or some old lady that can guess peoples ages. I know these are supposed to be the stories that Sal tells her grandparents in the car, but honestly most of Sal's stories are so pointless and boring I don't even care about them half of the time. At least make Sal's stories be about something more important, like memories about her mom and why Sal misses her so much. Also it is very confusing. The author changes topic so much it is hard to tell what exactly is going on. For example, in one chapter a stranger comes knocking on their door, then suddenly the topic is changed to when Sal remembers her picks blackberries with her mom. WHAT DOES THIS EVEN HAVE TO DO WITH WHATS GOING ON? Finally its very hard to tell when exactly things are happening. Sal one minute is talking to her grandparents, then the next she is talking about a pointless story about Phoebe and the next she is talking to her grandparents again. To be honest I don't even remember how Sal met Phoebe, that's how confusing this book is. So since the time frame in which the events happen it's hard to tell whether something already had happened, or is just now happening in the present. Anyway this book overall, is boring, uneventful, slow, and confusing. Definitely no worth your time
Kid, 10 years old June 30, 2015

it is the best book ever

kids should read this book and i love it it is sad because sal mother died and so does her grandmother but still read it to your child they would love it
Teen, 16 years old Written byhybridauth_user 407 October 6, 2015

Really Interesting

I myself, this this book is really well written. Although it includes kissing, it is nothing inappropriate. It does contain some words that not all parents will enjoy, but it should be okay. And, although Mrs. Winterbottom is kissing another man, it is her son, nothing to be alarmed of. Thank you. -hybridauth_user407
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian May 3, 2015

Walk At Least a Mile With This Book

This novel was my first introduction to Creech, in middle school English, and a great intro it was. When Sal Hiddle's mother disappears, she's afraid to explore why until her grandparents offer to let her accompany them on a cross-country trip. At the end, they will find Momma. Sal is determined to go and bring Momma home in time for her birthday, but picks up several other treasures along the way. During the trip, she tells Gram and Gramps about the year Dad "plucked her up like a weed" from Bybanks, Kentucky and transferred them both to Euclid, Ohio. She shares the metaphor-laden story of her friend Phoebe Winterbottom, exploring themes of motherhood, love, death, relationships, and spirituality. Death is a major theme here; for example, the miscarriage of Sal's baby sibling is discussed. A major character dies from snakebite complications. A woman named Mrs. Cadaver is rumored to hide dead bodies in her home. Mrs. Cadaver's mother, Mrs. Partridge, is an intriguing character but could be off-putting. She seems to straddle the line between dementia and imagined psychic abilities. As other reviewers note, Sal does some innocent kissing with a boy in her class. She's also ridiculed for kissing trees (because she thinks they taste like blackberries, which remind her of Mom). A minor character is extremely fond of saying, "God" in an irreverent way. Otherwise, this is a lovely novel and chock full of literary devices for English teachers--and English-lovers.
Educator and Parent Written bysue819 August 13, 2014

A little sad for pre-teens

This was a well written interesting book, but the subject matter was rather heavy. If your child internalizes social situations and sad events, this would not be the book for them. It allowed for a lot of opportunities for discussions.
Teen, 14 years old Written byda234734 April 29, 2016

It was a fun and interesting book to read.

The story is about a girl, traveling from Ohio to Idaho with her grandparents, in search of her mother. The main character name is, Salamanca Tree Hiddle, also known as Sal. The conflict of the story was that, Sal needed to find her mom in time for her birthday. I can relate to Sal because she lost her mother and when I was young, my mom, and I went to a big store, and I end up losing her. I felt sad and lost like Sal did. I love this book, it is interesting and adventures. My favorite character would be Sal because I been in a similar situation like her. My least favorite part of the book was when Sal lost her mother. I would recommend this book to any body who has been in a situation like Sal. This book is interesting, adventures, mysterious and surprising. I am glad that I read this book, it was very fun to read.
Kid, 10 years old April 23, 2016

A Newberry Honor That Isn't Boring!

We had to read this book in my fifth-grade class, and I looked at it and a Newberry Honor was on it, and I thought it was going to be one of those boring books from the 1990s, but no, this book discusses friendship, loss, hatred, racism, and a story of a thirteen-year-old girl who is entertaining her grandparents with a remarkable and unforgettable story. Salamanca Tree Hiddle is an extraordinary thirteen year old girl embarking on a cross-country trip with her hilarious, beloved grandparents going to visit her -SPOILER ALERT- -dead- mother, and that is the only complaint about this book. The author tells you at the beginning that her mother is "resting" in Lewiston, Idaho. But, she seems to be cheating you out off the book where Sal realizes her mother is dead by the grave marking it in Lewiston. It explains the bus she was on flipped over, but the person that her dad is hanging out with; (Mrs. Cadaver) was on that same bus, sitting next to her. The mom left to Lewiston because she felt she wasn't "good enough for Sal and her father". And, it's not JUST her that died, Sal's "gram" (grandma) died from a stroke. ):! Gram occasionally said "huzza, huzza." And at the end of thebook Sal says: And that's the way things are for now, Huzza, huzza. Anyway, I love this book and TOTALLY recommend it! Bye!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBraceves April 20, 2016

Worst book ive ever read.

This book is so annoying, chicabitty chicabitty chicabitty all of these books should be burned dont read this book, its a waste of time go read another book like "hoot" or "box car children" just for god sakes dont read this book.