All member reviews for When You Reach Me

Teen, 13 years old Written byAthena Keene May 6, 2011

LOVED IT (been re-reading it for several years now)

HI again! I loveed this book. I read it in 5th grade and re-read it all the time. It had great messeages and heartfelt down to earth charecters that you cant help but fall in love with!
Kid, 10 years old October 29, 2010

good for 9 and up

I LOVED THS BOOK! -It gets your brain thinking. -Miranda is a good role model when she helps people and feels sympathy. -It shows that you should always give people a second chance when making friends. It`s a great book! ... I heard that it is better then harry potter. SO not true. Just saying. But When You Reach Me is still a great book, don`t get me wrong!
Teen, 13 years old Written byizzy358 January 17, 2011

awesome book!

This might be mt favorite book...ever. The plotline is very devious and the characters are extremely well thought out. I think that the time-travel part might get a little confusing for young kids, and this might make the book less enjoyable. But for kids 10 and up, I totally recommend this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byvivianxiao March 29, 2011

Awesome book, it'll make you want to reread it over and over again =)

Awesome book! Definitely read it! I stayed up late and finished it in one night, couldn't even put it down... Although, I suggest you read A Wrinkle in Time first, it's also a great book, and it'll help you understand certain parts better (also helps you understand more about time travel)
Kid, 11 years old December 21, 2010

Amazing Piece of Literature

It definitely says something about how life is like in that time period and in that location. It makes it clear that racism is bad. This is my favorite book of all time. It has my two favorite things woven together, sci-fi and mystery. At times it is confusing, funny, complicated, and sometimes just downright weird. But the great thing about this book is the last couple of chapters sum everything up, all the stuff makes sense.
Kid, 11 years old November 29, 2010

i loved this book it was my 2 favorite book, my first favorite book is the take of despereaux. This book was really interasting and very very good! The chapters are very short, but very long. I loved this book and sometimes it is hard for me to find a book that I lilke I give this out of 5 star a 6 star book loved it! I am11 years old and this book was really good. Some parts are confusing for me at least hehe. I very much recomend this book! I hope you read the book and i hope you enjoy it!
Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2011

I am reading this book right now and its really good. I just got finished reading a fluff book. So i really like this book cause it makes you think a lot.
Kid, 11 years old February 24, 2011

Kid, 12 years old November 2, 2009

amazing, but scary

i just finished reading this book and it is amazing in every area. it is a bit frightening at some parts, and it gives a graphic description of a man getting hit by a car. parents would want to talk to their child about some parts, but other than that, it was a really good book!
Kid, 10 years old October 17, 2009

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like this book. I got creeped out though, for in one chapter the main character starts out by saying you, but she means it as if it is a note written to someone in particular, not YOU or ME (the reader). Also in one of the chapters (The Last Note) we get a step by step description of what happened one day, including a man getting run over by a car. I think this is a good book for kids age 10+, but parents might want to talk to their kids about a couple of things (e.g. the man getting run over).
Teen, 13 years old Written byhowrselover June 11, 2012

Beautiful

When You Reach Me is a beautiful, moving story full of mystery and hope. It is and will always be one of my childhood favorites; even my mom loved it. *WARNING* It's sad.
Kid, 11 years old November 20, 2010

Mind blowing book.

I love this book! It's very complicated and deals a lot with time travle, and might just make your brain explode (this happened to me), so 10 and up can figure it out better, probably. It also has a wonderful, suprising ending.
Kid, 12 years old October 3, 2010

Awesome Book

I think this book is a perfect blend of mystery and fiction. I think Miranda is a good role model. She invites Annemarie for lunch, helps Julia when she needs to use the restroom but is too afraid to ask anyone, and becomes friends with Julia when she realized that Julia really cared for Annemarie. I think the book has a little bit of violence, but not too much. The book also tells you not to judge people for their skin color.
Kid, 12 years old August 22, 2014

A great book

I loved the book When You Reach Me, it was a very smart and creative book, it has a great plot and well developed characters. But I do think the time travel part can get a little confusing for some people, also if you read this book you should also read A Wrinkle In Time, which is also a great book. It is also a mix of mystery and fiction, which are some of my favorite genres. And I totally recommend this book to all you people out there, I hope you enjoy it! -Jackie
Kid, 10 years old May 31, 2014

It's a really good book

This is a great story. Being a New Yorker, I like the setting, and I know it's true. I've met the author before, and I think she does a great job with making a good ending, and good, quality story.
Kid, 11 years old May 27, 2013

have a chance to read

I love this book. Best book i have ever read. Your kids should have a chance to read this fantastic book.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygirlwithadaisy October 11, 2012

Fast, pacey, genius... Must Read!

When You Reach Me is a fantastic, sci-fi yet real story set in New York in the 1970's with a complex, mind-bending plot involving friendship, time-travel and cool characters. I think it is appropriate for anyone over 8 years old, however the plot would be more enjoyable for 11 year olds and up because it includes some quite tricky scientific concepts and you have to pay attention to all the small details in order to understand this book. That being said, it is appropriate for kids of any age, so as long as you have an adult to explain it to you, you can read it at 5 years old. The type of book that you can read again and again over your lifetime, I recommend it to anyone and everyone!
Kid, 10 years old May 13, 2012

WHEN YOU REACH ME REVIEW

Kid, 10 years old December 28, 2011

I LOVE THIS BOOK!

I LOVE this book. It is my favorite book of all time. It gets you thinking, there is some time travel. There is some violence such as Sal getting punched and the laughing man dying. Miranda and Colin do kiss, and Miranda's mother is on 20,000 pyramid. Also it does say h-ll a few times. Otherwise, I love this book. It really gets your brain thinking and you never think, throughout the entire book, that _______________ happens. I totally recommend kids 10 & up read it.
Kid, 10 years old September 3, 2011

really good book

I love this book! It is a little confusing when they are talking about time travel but it really doesn't matter. You might want to read A Wrinkle in Time because they talk about it a lot in this book but you don't have too.