All member reviews for When You Reach Me

Teen, 13 years old Written bygirlwithadaisy October 11, 2012

Fast, pacey, genius... Must Read!

When You Reach Me is a fantastic, sci-fi yet real story set in New York in the 1970's with a complex, mind-bending plot involving friendship, time-travel and cool characters. I think it is appropriate for anyone over 8 years old, however the plot would be more enjoyable for 11 year olds and up because it includes some quite tricky scientific concepts and you have to pay attention to all the small details in order to understand this book. That being said, it is appropriate for kids of any age, so as long as you have an adult to explain it to you, you can read it at 5 years old. The type of book that you can read again and again over your lifetime, I recommend it to anyone and everyone!
Kid, 12 years old September 1, 2010

GREAT BOOK

Recommend it for 10+, good book, skips scenarios a little, making a a little confusing! Overall GREAT! Questions, Comments- 20qwerty30@gmail.com
Teen, 13 years old Written bybookbook April 27, 2010

Sorry, not my favorite this time.

This book was fine, but it just wasn't my favorite. Sometimes I wouldn't really feel like reading it and just wanted it to be over with. I didn't feel like the characters were likable enough. Some of it creeped me out. I just didn't like it very much, but good for you if you did like it!
Teen, 15 years old Written bysuperq4898 June 21, 2011

Best book!

I thought this was a reallly good book! I couldn't stop reading it!
Kid, 10 years old May 13, 2012

WHEN YOU REACH ME REVIEW

Teen, 15 years old Written bybookwormwriter July 23, 2011

One of my favorites

This was a great book, but a little confusing the first time I read it. It has some violence when a group of boys beat up a different boy, but it's not too bad. I liked this book, and I'm going to read First Light, another book by Rebecca Stead. Happy reading! :)
Kid, 10 years old August 25, 2010

really interesting

not something 8 year olds would understand though, i love stories about time travel
Teen, 13 years old Written bypizzavince May 30, 2010

Confusing for Younger Readers, but Great Time Travel

This was a great book with a great plot and characters. The story combines realistic fiction with a little bit of science fiction. The only reason I have this rated iffy for 12+ is because younger children won't understand the theory of time travel they present in this book. Also, it is not necessary but will make the book more enjoyable if you have read A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'engle.
Kid, 9 years old February 22, 2010

9+ Great book for tweens

The best book EVER!!!!:) Miranda and Colin kiss a few times and you will best understand the book if you've read A Wrinkle In Time (another great book by Madeliene L'engle) and its AWESOME!
Kid, 10 years old September 3, 2011

really good book

I love this book! It is a little confusing when they are talking about time travel but it really doesn't matter. You might want to read A Wrinkle in Time because they talk about it a lot in this book but you don't have too.
Kid, 11 years old February 1, 2010

I really liked this book
Kid, 12 years old January 2, 2010

i thought it was pretty good no probloms and i would read it.
Kid, 10 years old December 28, 2011

I LOVE THIS BOOK!

I LOVE this book. It is my favorite book of all time. It gets you thinking, there is some time travel. There is some violence such as Sal getting punched and the laughing man dying. Miranda and Colin do kiss, and Miranda's mother is on 20,000 pyramid. Also it does say h-ll a few times. Otherwise, I love this book. It really gets your brain thinking and you never think, throughout the entire book, that _______________ happens. I totally recommend kids 10 & up read it.
Kid, 12 years old August 22, 2014

A great book

I loved the book When You Reach Me, it was a very smart and creative book, it has a great plot and well developed characters. But I do think the time travel part can get a little confusing for some people, also if you read this book you should also read A Wrinkle In Time, which is also a great book. It is also a mix of mystery and fiction, which are some of my favorite genres. And I totally recommend this book to all you people out there, I hope you enjoy it! -Jackie
Kid, 10 years old May 31, 2014

It's a really good book

This is a great story. Being a New Yorker, I like the setting, and I know it's true. I've met the author before, and I think she does a great job with making a good ending, and good, quality story.
Kid, 11 years old May 27, 2013

have a chance to read

I love this book. Best book i have ever read. Your kids should have a chance to read this fantastic book.