All member reviews for Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

Chinese girl's Oz-like adventure begging to be read aloud.

Parent of a 8 and 8 year old Written bycatspratt designs February 12, 2011

Perfect for all ages....

My 8 year old daughter has read Where the Mt meets the Moon three times. Minli is a positive, hopeful and persistent. It's a beautiful story that shows how adults are capable of changing. The format of the book allows for reading aloud to younger children and holds their attention by completing a tale each chapter while holding their anticipation for the next chapter. My daughter wants to add that she loves the dragon.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilypenny January 1, 2013

A Must Read!

I bought this book at my twice a year scholastic book fair. I'm a huge fan of oriental culture, (particularily Japanese), however this book still interested me greatly. I was completely shocked to how fast I finished it! I'm a fast reader, but it took me only two days to get through Minli's fascinating journey! I almost didn't want it to end! I even had this feeling inside after I read it that I absolutely would read it again, which I have. Parents, please don't let the oriental theme get to you. I've talked to many adults who believe that anything associated with Chinese or Japanese culture is occult. I was raised in a Christian family, and I have a very strong, Christian view, and I think this book is incredible. It does apply things about gods, however, it's a stroy about Chinese folklore, so what can you expect? Plus, Minli is a great role model and makes a very tough decision about her friend, Dragon, in the end. Keeps you on your toes and enchants you not only with the story, but with the humor, characters, and not to mention the drawings are astounding! 10/10 stars! One of my favorites!
Kid, 10 years old May 8, 2011

great family book deserves a place in every home!

good book. Me and my 7 year old brother love it. however it is really quite violent. But al together it is a wonderful book and we had a great time reading it with my family!
Educator and Parent Written byPourLeBebe September 29, 2015

Fabulous!!

We devour books at our house and this has become an instant favorite. It wasn't inappropriate in any way and I ENJOYED listening to it with my daughter. She had started it on her own but without another person to share the journey wasn't really drawn in. It was long but we loved every word.
Parent Written byleekp June 12, 2013

Strong female protagonist, good family dynamics & good values

We really enjoyed this book. It features a positive role model in Mingli. Mingli is a young girl who goes on a hero's quest in pursuit of a better life for her family; she has exciting adventures, makes new friends, and grows wiser along the way. Her story is balanced by that of her parents, who also experience positive growth during the course of the book. As a bonus, there are many good short stories told within the larger whole and all are enjoyable and provide "food for thought." We liked this story very much and, although there is some mild peril, we found nothing objectionable for ages 7 and up. Good for young readers or to read aloud.
Teen, 17 years old Written bypeaceistheword November 7, 2011

what the kids should do

i think this book is really good right know because kids would probaly think it is good to help parents with anything they need or want them to do!
Parent Written byZeexo October 28, 2011

Third Grade Read Aloud

Excellent story for character and vocabulary development Short chapters for easy read aloud Exciting and adventurous some violence as mentioned but nothing like most Disney movies
Kid, 10 years old August 7, 2010

great

I really liked this book, and it wasn't inaproppriate at all.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bykaloren March 6, 2010

Great to read and read again

My daughter and I read this together and now we have each reread it a few times. It's filled with lots of short stories woven into one story that shows the courage and strengths of a young girl trying to help her family. The adventures really draw you in and the story is well woven.
Kid, 12 years old December 6, 2014

Wonderful book!

This is a beautiful book about a girl's journey to find fortune for her family. Along the way she learns lessons, helps other people and makes friends. It is a wonderful read-aloud book for the family, and a great conversation-starter (would you have done what Minli did? Why do you think she did that?) I would definitely recommend this book!
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byannmarie.yacobucci October 4, 2014

A Must Read!!!

I read this novel aloud to my almost 7 year old daughter. My 4 year old son couldn't help but join in, listening to the adventure unfold. The main character, Minli travels to Never Ending Mountain on a quest to bring fortune to her poor family. Through her journey she learns about friendship, family, thankfulness, and the true fruits of fortune. My daughter is in 1st grade, a time when kids start to organize their peers based on gender, beauty, intelligence, etc... This book allowed us to analyze concepts like friendship and the true meaning of fortune in a way that we wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. I also very much appreciated the Asian cultural lens in which the book was written. We live on the east side of St. Paul, MN which is heavily populated by Asian Americans, specifically Hmong peoples from Laos and Cambodia. I appreciate that my daughter now has heroins and heroes with names and faces that resemble those of her friends. This is a must read for any family with children in elementary school. Thank you, Grace Lin for sharing this story with us!
Kid, 12 years old October 31, 2011

Awesome!!!

Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2011

Good for Tweens and kids

I loved the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More kids should read and enjoy these kind of books. AWESOME :)
Kid, 8 years old October 22, 2010

Great A+ book........

I love it!!! its awesome...... I love how everyone in the book either makes a friend or really like them. I recamend this for 8+.
Kid, 9 years old October 16, 2010

Where the mountain meets the moon

This is a great adventure story about a girl who runs away from home and makes many new friends along the way. She is on a mission to give her family fortune,by finding the man of the moon.