All member reviews for Where the Red Fern Grows

Tearjerker about country boy and his hound dogs.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBen654 March 2, 2009

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!

This book is a heartwarming and emotional book that shows how much the love between a boy and his dogs really is and how much they are willing to doe for each other. AND BE PREPARED TO CRIE!!! For it's a real tear jerker.
Kid, 12 years old September 1, 2010

GREAT BOOK

GREAT, im 12, read it, cried a llitle, laughed a little. At the edge of my seat the whole time!!! Recommend it for ALL ages!!
Kid, 12 years old June 9, 2009

sad but really really really good ;-)

this book is the best and saddest book i have ever read! i cried and cried when old dan and little anne died. but i don't think that this book should be 9+ because of how it describes one little boy's death. it talks about soooooooooo much blood.
Adult Written byimsosexy April 9, 2008

Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bylitmom123 January 28, 2011

Good, but not without faults.

This book has a decent story but the writing is sometimes repetitive and some of the scenes are completely pointless. For example, there is a scene in the book wherein we find out that Lil Ann is gunshy. This is never again addressed anywhere in the book. Even later, when they hunt at the championship, the boy's father brings a gun, but there is no mention of Lil Ann being gunshy. Also, I found the metaphors in the book were sometimes quite weak or overused. The story was strong, and I found it was compelling, but the ending and the justifcation for it was hard to swallow. It felt gratutious. That said, the protaganist is a decent role model, and truly shows that hard work and passion can get you far.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion April 5, 2009

I Honestly Have No Idea How You Can't Love This Book!

This and LASSIE COME-HOME are the two greatest dog books of all-time, and you would be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't just love this book. Violence is the only issue in the book. There are some intense coon chases, a bloody fight with a bobcat, and the saddest ending of all time, which may affect some younger readers. I believe there is also one "d**n".

Teen, 13 years old Written byleftbehindcrazed8 June 30, 2011

GET YOUR TISSUES!!

I read this book for summer reading and it brought me to tears multiple times. Here's what I think: ROLE MODELS: Billy is very loyal to his dogs, and does what he can to save him, even if it means risking his own life. Little Ann and Old Dan stick with Billy and are there for him. VIOLENCE: Little Ann and Old Dan are killed by a mountain lion, and a 14 year old boy trips on an ax and his killed. (but not without blood and gore!!) LANGUAGE: D--n a couple of times, Billy uses h--l twice, and b---h
Kid, 11 years old January 15, 2011

Amazing <3

Amazing book. My sister wanted me to read it. We made a bet to see if I would cry or not. If I cried then I give her a dollar if I don't I give her a dollar. I owe my sister a dollar. :'( I really did cry at the end. It's such a cute and sad book. ~ I don't want to spoil the story but I'll just say the book did say things about blood.
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2011

5 Stars No Doubt

This one of the best books that you will ever read. You will especially connect to this book if you are an animal lover (I am). This story is heart warming and the way the author wrote this book, you'd think you were actually there!! I reccommend this to anyone who is looking for a gripping read that will entertain you throughout the whole book. Where the Red Fern Grows is one of those books tht you never forget.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybook_worm217 December 9, 2010

That i love the and other thing are awesome about the book.
Kid, 11 years old March 12, 2010

This is a great book that I highly recommend to anyone over the age of 11. The book is probably too violent for younger kids. The book describes in detail the gory scene of a boy falling on an axe and splitting his chest open. The book says "I say a small red bubble appear from his mouth, then it popped and he fell to the groud lifeless and limp." A lot of my classmates (11) were disturbed. I wasn't, but of course I'm trained to handle emergency surgery in brutal situations so I'm used to that stuff. The book also describes hunting in detail but is ok. A great classic
Kid, 12 years old March 1, 2010

Good for Late Elementary School to Early Junior High students

I think that it is a great novel for children over the age of seven who do not have a problem with the concept of hunting.
Kid, 11 years old January 17, 2010

I am reading it for my 6th grade class and the book is ok but it is kind of boring. I wouldn't be good for kids under 13.
Kid, 11 years old December 6, 2009

Great for 6+ graders

It was a good book but not an excellent one
Teen, 14 years old Written bykaratedude April 9, 2008

Adult Written byindie_q March 1, 2015

Sentimental content

"Where the Red Fern grows" is about young boy named Billy who has had this dream of raising enough money to buy his own hounds. A conflict in the story is Billy's family is poor and the dogs Billy wants are really pricey. The story also tries to show the theme of perseverance in the way Billy had tried so many different ways to raise enough money to buy these dogs. This book was pretty good and at the end was a pretty emotional scene for the reader. I would recommend this book to teacher to read along with students and to partake in activities.
Kid, 11 years old January 4, 2015

Sad

SO SAD. Do not read if you are emotional. I cried for hours. We read it in class and I was crying my eyes out. But otherwise good book. Some bloody scenes but otherwises it is good for 9 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byfoalover December 13, 2014

gory in parts

this book is great but there are a few gory parts including a kid getting killed. Also very sad.
Kid, 12 years old October 29, 2014

Where the red fern grows

I think this was an amazing book. Wilson Rawls did an amazing job of writing it. The detail is superb and his writing style is great. I recommend this book for people who enjoy a heartwarming adventure, and who has a strong love for animals (especially dogs). I you don't want to read something sad, I don't suggest reading this book. Personally I would read this over and over.