All teen and kid member reviews for Where the Red Fern Grows

Teen, 14 years old Written byBen654 March 2, 2009

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!

This book is a heartwarming and emotional book that shows how much the love between a boy and his dogs really is and how much they are willing to doe for each other. AND BE PREPARED TO CRIE!!! For it's a real tear jerker.
Kid, 12 years old September 1, 2010

GREAT BOOK

GREAT, im 12, read it, cried a llitle, laughed a little. At the edge of my seat the whole time!!! Recommend it for ALL ages!!
Kid, 12 years old June 9, 2009

sad but really really really good ;-)

this book is the best and saddest book i have ever read! i cried and cried when old dan and little anne died. but i don't think that this book should be 9+ because of how it describes one little boy's death. it talks about soooooooooo much blood.
Teen, 13 years old Written byleftbehindcrazed8 June 30, 2011

GET YOUR TISSUES!!

I read this book for summer reading and it brought me to tears multiple times. Here's what I think: ROLE MODELS: Billy is very loyal to his dogs, and does what he can to save him, even if it means risking his own life. Little Ann and Old Dan stick with Billy and are there for him. VIOLENCE: Little Ann and Old Dan are killed by a mountain lion, and a 14 year old boy trips on an ax and his killed. (but not without blood and gore!!) LANGUAGE: D--n a couple of times, Billy uses h--l twice, and b---h
Kid, 11 years old January 15, 2011

Amazing

Amazing book. My sister wanted me to read it. We made a bet to see if I would cry or not. If I cried then I give her a dollar if I don't I give her a dollar. I owe my sister a dollar. :'( I really did cry at the end. It's such a cute and sad book. ~ I don't want to spoil the story but I'll just say the book did say things about blood.
Kid, 11 years old January 17, 2010

I am reading it for my 6th grade class and the book is ok but it is kind of boring. I wouldn't be good for kids under 13.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybook_worm217 December 9, 2010

That i love the and other thing are awesome about the book.
Kid, 12 years old March 1, 2010

Good for Late Elementary School to Early Junior High students

I think that it is a great novel for children over the age of seven who do not have a problem with the concept of hunting.

Kid, 11 years old January 4, 2015

Sad

SO SAD. Do not read if you are emotional. I cried for hours. We read it in class and I was crying my eyes out. But otherwise good book. Some bloody scenes but otherwises it is good for 9 and up.
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2011

5 Stars No Doubt

This one of the best books that you will ever read. You will especially connect to this book if you are an animal lover (I am). This story is heart warming and the way the author wrote this book, you'd think you were actually there!! I reccommend this to anyone who is looking for a gripping read that will entertain you throughout the whole book. Where the Red Fern Grows is one of those books tht you never forget.
Kid, 11 years old December 6, 2009

Great for 6+ graders

It was a good book but not an excellent one
Teen, 14 years old Written bykaratedude April 9, 2008

Kid, 11 years old May 20, 2015

Great for Mature 10 Year Olds and Up

As an 11 year old, this book can send you in a gargantuan amount of tears, as such, I would not advise this book for kids under 10 years old. ( But you can read it if you want). Also, If you like action books, this is the right book for you. This 200 page long book can take you on action thrillers throughout the book, and make you feel you're right in the story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEnvironment May 6, 2015

A beautiful, depressing book

This is probably the first book a child should read that will make them cry. I love this book from the shocking scenes to the beautiful end. Although it is depressing, this is a book that should be read.
Teen, 14 years old Written byfoalover December 13, 2014

gory in parts

this book is great but there are a few gory parts including a kid getting killed. Also very sad.
Kid, 12 years old October 29, 2014

Where the red fern grows

I think this was an amazing book. Wilson Rawls did an amazing job of writing it. The detail is superb and his writing style is great. I recommend this book for people who enjoy a heartwarming adventure, and who has a strong love for animals (especially dogs). I you don't want to read something sad, I don't suggest reading this book. Personally I would read this over and over.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBUCKBUCK August 4, 2013

middle school and up

I read it in 6th grade(required) It just is not a great book and not for elementary schoolers. At 12 I had a hard time handling it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymatt7553 November 15, 2012

where the red fern grows

best book/ movie i have ever seen
Teen, 13 years old Written byEezma July 5, 2012

Sad but good

This book is way too sad!! It is a great book if you like to cry.