All member reviews for Where the Red Fern Grows

Tearjerker about country boy and his hound dogs.

Kid, 11 years old January 4, 2015

Sad

SO SAD. Do not read if you are emotional. I cried for hours. We read it in class and I was crying my eyes out. But otherwise good book. Some bloody scenes but otherwises it is good for 9 and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBUCKBUCK August 4, 2013

middle school and up

I read it in 6th grade(required) It just is not a great book and not for elementary schoolers. At 12 I had a hard time handling it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykaratedude April 9, 2008
Adult Written byIrishLogan April 9, 2008

Top choice year after year for sixth graders

I assigned this book as a mandatory summer read for kids entering my 6th grade class. Each year, everyone loves it... girls, boys, it doesn't matter the gender. I chose it because I remembered reading it in fifth grade and enjoying it as a kid, and hoped my students would too. Each year when I am creating my new required summer reading list, the current 6th grade picks it as their top recommendation for the incoming class. One word of caution though-- one of my kids loved the book so much, he begged his mother each day of summer until they got a dog:)I'm sure his mother loved me for that!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bypocky April 9, 2008

Boring. Horribly boring.

In my school, you must read this book before going to middle school. I didn't like it at all. The hunting for sport is wrong, and it's not the subject I'm interested in. I'm the only one in my homeroom who didn't like it, I found it boring. You would like it if you're interested in boy-and-dog stories set in the countryside.
Adult Written byMs. M April 9, 2008

Awesome Read!!!

This is the second year I have taught this novel with 7th graders. I have read it several times myself and each time I like it even more! This is a great book to use while teaching figurative language and character change. My students really enjoyed it from start to finish. We are just reading the last two chapters now in class and everyone is glued to the book. They students love the adventure and really bond with the characters. I had most of the class crying or near tears are we read the end. Readers will really fall in love with these dogs and cheer them on as they become the best huntings dogs a boy can have. I highly recommend this book!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bykodywatts123 May 3, 2016

Really Nice book

A boy named Billy saw a pair of dogs hunting coons, rat coons, then he wanted to get hunting dogs to catch coons. He earns money and works to buy some puppies. When he had enough money he bought two coon hounds. One of the central conflict is that Billy wants two coon hounds and his parents won't let him. My statement about that is they should let Billy get some dogs so he can have a good time with them, and work with them to get money. I think this book is very good because it's very interesting, exciting , and very relate able. I think this book is good because it is interesting how Billy works really hard and catches coons for dogs. A long time when he had his dogs it got very exciting how Billy and his hounds were in a coon competition. I would recommend this to other people because I think that they would enjoy it, it's very interesting. I gave this book a 4 star because it really caught my attention, and I like how the book is very specific. The boxes I chose was great messages, great role models, and too much violence. I chose great messages because it shows a very nice relationship between a boy and dogs. I chose great role model because Billy worked really hard to earn his dogs and it turns out they were really worth it. I chose too much violence because the part when the dogs were fighting was very specific and violent.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEnrique1324 March 31, 2016

Book review

This book is a really good book. But I contains things like blood and even death but if you enjoy reading things like that I think it's a really good book for you. In this book a boy hunts with his dogs that he has to earn money for and he also goes on a journey to go pick them up from the mail office in the dirty and he gets bullied along the way.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMA_Acms20 March 17, 2016

Where the Red Fern Grows Review

This novel is one of my favorite books so far because it made me feel an equal amount of happiness and sadness. This book also served a good message and an educational value. The main characters are Billy Colman, a boy who desperately wants a specific kind of dog but he lives on the on the countryside and his family doesn't have a lot of money. Old Dan, Billy’s hound. He will never leave a raccoon once he is on its trail, although sometimes his impatience gets the best of him, and he loses the trail. Little Ann, Billy’s hound. She is smaller but smarter than Old Dan. She is a beautiful hound, and will not stop hunting until she knows exactly where the coon is hiding. No coon can trick her. For a hound, she is extremely playful. The loving team of three, adventure out into the wild to hunt, train and protect each other.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEnrique145 March 1, 2016

Book review

This book was a amazing book it has a lot of life lessons and good messages to kids but it also can be a very dark book in a way. This book shows the journey of a boy that enjoys hunting in his journey he decides that he wants to buy a couple of dogs to help him with his hunting. The more he hunted the more money he made from skinning and selling the raccoon's. When the boy had gotten enough money to be able to get the dogs he went on a journey to get them in the city and encounters things that he wished he never saw and this is all i can give you without spoiling anything. And keep in mind that the boy was only about twelve.
Teen, 13 years old Written byryan103003 February 2, 2016

what i think

This is one of my favorite books. It is good for book reports and, it is a great story because it is not to relgious and it shows what love can be like between a kid and his pets. I can show that they are not just pets they are family.
Parent Written byschwaby January 22, 2016

Where the Red Fern grows

Billy love's his dog's with all his heart when it said in the being with 2 dogs saved his life as Little Anne and Old Dan did with the bob cat and Little Anne loved Old Dan with all her heart when Old Dan died and Little Anne it hit all of Billy's family really hard and with winning the gold champion cup and those 2 red hounds were Billy's heart..... Be ready to cry the last few chapters... This is a heart warming book... READ THIS BOOK...
Adult Written byAshley_2003 October 31, 2015

Where the red fern grows

Where the red fern grows is a emotional and happy story. This story is about a relationship between him and his dog. At the end of the story it starts getting sad, I cried when I read this book and I never cry for stuff like that some of u would or would not cry. And just to say some of the people from the book die can't say the names. When I read the book I really loved it it's a really interesting book.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymatt7553 November 15, 2012

where the red fern grows

best book/ movie i have ever seen
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 8, 2012

Love it!

Amazing classic story of love and devotion.
Kid, 10 years old June 4, 2012

#1 Book!

It is a great book but really sad! It has a touching ending! There is some violence but is the best book ever! The end is very sad, and I cried for an hour, but it is a awesome book!
Adult Written byGo Canucks GO!!! March 7, 2012

Hot Book! >:D

this book is a super great book, i think whoever reads this, you will never forget in a million years what this book is about. And also, this book talks a lot of bloody stuff, like Old Dan got a huge cut in the middle of his stomach, and blood all over the place... well anyways, most of the people reading this book will usaully cry and cry and cry, but I think their is nothing so impression for you to cry for. However, once again this is a great book, everybody over 11 should read it. PS: have fun!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bymadronachic January 31, 2012

I enjoyed the book.

I will be post my review i am in charge of my school newspaper will be here soon....
Teen, 15 years old Written byBlondiegyrl January 4, 2012

I felt he was brave walking to the city by him self. I would put the medal in my room up on the shelves so if anyone comes in they can see it. I thought the book was good because it seemed full of action and emotion. I would cry, because it was so sad.

It was a evry nice book.
Kid, 12 years old December 17, 2011

Just Fine

i am reading this book in class and i really don't like it. it gets kind of hard when you have to read 200 words a page and 20 chapters yes it is a lot but some parts are really good. like when Billy [the main character] like when billy chops down the biggest tree around where he lives. and when little ann [the smart hound dog] falls into the freezing cold water and billy goes in to rescue her