All member reviews for White Cat (Curse Workers)

Suspenseful series starter full of magic, mystery, violence.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAHHitsme October 26, 2011

Age Appropriate...? Uhmmm YEAH!

Personally, I think that anyone who is mature enough can handle this book...and series for that matter. Now, I'm only 15, but I've been reading books like this since I was..ohhh..12 maybe. And to be honest, it hasn't changed my way of life. I still have good morals and self respect *and all that jazz*
Teen, 14 years old Written bynoveleater October 12, 2011

only ok book from wonderful writer Holly Black

White Cat was preidctible, but still a whole lot of fun. The characters are believable, and you can have emotion for them even though they are filled with fantasy elements. The writing once again is really good, but the story itself is filled with holes, where hopefully the sequel fills. I can see where Black is coming from and it is a very different approach on YA books for fans of Tithe, Valiant, Ironside also by Black. White Cat is less disturbing than those books, but still is very violent, but realistic. The story tells of a world where people can have powers that come form there hands, so they where gloves. These powers are considered dangerous and are illegal in the world the book takes place in. Due to the laws, most curse workers (people with powers) become mobsters or con artists. There are many mirrors to The Grifters movie, in the fact that the main character wants to do what is right, but is still doing what his family do, because he wants to fit in. What I really enjoyed about this book was that you could see connections to teen-school-books about peer presure. The violence includes, kicking and punching, beating and bruising, guns that are used and brandished. A person is thrown into the back of a car in the trunk and is slammed against the wall. People also use knives. The story focases on a murder, and people are filled with guilt. The violent scenes are graphic and bloody. I found myself gringeing. A character is abused by another characters, and is almost killed. Characters smoke and drink achaol. People do drugs, but it isn't a main part the story, so there is nothing to worry about. The ending is predictible, but still original to make me want to read the sequel. I recommend this book for fans of The Mortal Instruments or shows about con artists. enjoy : )