All member reviews for Wonderstruck

Inventive story of runaways in New York, 50 years apart.

Teen, 13 years old Written byVickyLOVEbooks December 17, 2011

Wonderstruck Review by ParentzCare

I think it is a pretty good book but it depends on the parents. I let my 11 year old daughter read it first when she was 10 and she had nightmares for a while. She read it again when she turned 11,and she handled it much better. I myself read it and thought it was very well written. I also think Mr.Selznick is a gifted writer. I think parents should NOT let their kids read the book before age 11. I highly recommend! 5 STAR!
Kid, 10 years old March 8, 2012

okay book

This was an okay book. About the only thing I didn't like was about the deaf parts. The book made it sound like deaf people can only sign. This book is very similar to The Invention of Hugo Cabret in terms of the pictures.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySweetDisposition November 19, 2011

Selznick wows me once again.

I love Mr. Selznick's writing. His characters strive to learn more about certain topics, and tend to be quite clever and crafty. Combine interesting characters with lovely illustration, and you've got Wonderstruck! The story centers around the stories of Rose and Ben, which are set 50 years apart. They are both deaf, but that isn't the book's main focus. In 1927, Rose keeps a scrapbook of a famous actress, who happens to be her mother. She attempts to keep track of her every movement in the public eye. In 1977, Ben is searching for clues of his mysterious father following his mother's death. Ben has never met his father, and has hopes of finally meeting him. I enjoyed Wonderstruck quite a lot, and I highly recommend it.
Kid, 12 years old September 18, 2011

Great forfans of Hugo Cabret!

Wonderstruck is a very fun, exciting book. It is mostly set in New York, in 1927 and 1977. It promotes the idea of family and being loving. The two main characters, Rose from 1927, and Ben from 1977, are both deaf, and this story is partly about how they deal with it. The story seems to focus more on Ben, and he gets the writing "half", which is more like two-thirds. Rose's story is told in pictures, and the early pictures bear many clues about later events (e.g. the paper buildings in her room). Rose is subject to a scandal, as her mother, famous actress Lillian Mayhew had Walter and Rose, before ditching Rose's dad for a young actor. Ben's mother has recently died, and as you find out later in the story, his dad never married his mom, but they still had a child. Ben and Rose both are strong characters who fight deafness, and find ways to "hear". At the very end, you get to find out how their stories connect. This will be a book better for kids who read The Invention of Hugo Cabret and didn't find it super challenging, since Wonderstruck has more text.
Parent Written byshanerocks April 6, 2012

Great! An awesome follow-up to Hugo Cabret!

This book is Brian Selnick's BEST book! It's even better than Hugo Cabret! But Hugo Cabret is still a GREAT book!
Kid, 11 years old January 23, 2012

READ THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW!!!!!

I loved this book. It is intimidating because of the massive size, (600 pages!) but you zip through it so quickly because it keeps you going. It is very exciting, and not once did I find myself bored, or not liking it. The characters are great role models, and there are great messages being said.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTripCandle December 11, 2015

Beautiful

Amazing and heartwrenching, I truly was Wonderstuck
Kid, 10 years old May 31, 2014

Wonderstruck is awesome

Wonderstruck is a good tale, swiching between pictures and words, Selznik does a really good job at making you feel in the characters' shoes.
Kid, 11 years old February 24, 2012

I was Wonderstruck!

This awesome book seems slightly intimidating at first-it's longer than most Harry Potter books- but readers were in for a surprise. This book goes by very fast, since 50% of it is pictures. It has nothing inappropriate WHATSOEVER, which would have lead me to say that it would be "On" for 6+, but the writing is slightly more advanced than that: think a little more than Harry Potter. It is very entertaining and fun. The end is especially interesting. This is a great kids book for tweens and young teens. Read it today!