All member reviews for You Don't Know Me

Teen uses humor and fantasy to cope with abuse.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBroganSolig January 26, 2009

I LOVED IT! I cried and laughed

I LOVED THIS BOOK! I just finished it and can relate to this boy. He must feel so alone in this world. The author made it so we can feel like we were actually there ! 5 star book I have told all my friends to read this book!
Adult Written byallyb2011 January 26, 2011

Its Real

I had to read it for summer reading in my high school. I think it is somewhat beneficial because it makes you realize that people aren't always what they seem to be. I think it would be good for kids to read to just have their eyes opened and to know and understand that the things that happen in that book are real and happen to kids everyday.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHoustonlife August 29, 2010

It's really realistic.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhollylujah December 27, 2010

Um, Great.

This is the best book I have ever read(and i've read A LOT). It is stylistically so different from other books and almost impossible to put down!
Adult Written byayze April 9, 2008

Read in long ago

I read this book when I was in seventh grade! I never really read anything but, after i started this book i couldn't put it down!! I have been trying to check one out from a local library but, it's always off the shelf. So i am going to go to the next step. I'm going to buy it so, I can read it again!
Teen, 17 years old Written byDuGeOs August 16, 2010

perfect for ages 13+

Adult Written byOuT_siDe_tHe_bOX April 27, 2010

a good book to read

it was overall good, in my opinion... it had a message to deliver and it has some characters that are life like and be related to an everyday teenage life . it also clearly gives the message that parent-children communication is extremely important ...so why not..
Adult Written bynothingcool April 9, 2008

read this ASAP

I enjoyed this book! I enjoyed it! This one made me focus out of the normal world and into the mind of the writer!
Adult Written bywoahh nellyyy April 9, 2008

mmm yes.

this book is absolutely amazing when you feel your life is down. this stuff literally happens all the time, and it's hard to believe. it's extremely compelling for any age, although alittle inappropriate for kids under 12. i've read this book about 8 times, and it never gets old. :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byJayy17 December 5, 2010

Perfect for teenagers, but not for younger kids because it deals with mature issues.

I loved this book. I thought that the main character John was extremely heroic and funny. I liked the way that John dealt with situations by being sarcastic and witty. Teenagers can really relate to John and some of the things that he goes through. John is an excellent example of a person who is strong willed and refuses to back down even when the odds are against him. Through his actions he demonstrates that kids can get through anything with a little determination.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLoverofLiterature November 14, 2010

It's a sureal psychological novel.

Personally I loved this book. I read it in 6th grade and it really allowed me to delve into the character's mind. People believe that it should be for 13+ but I read it around age 11. (I stumbled upon it in my collection of books) There isn't really any gorey scenes, but the step father does beat the protagonist. I've read the book at least 13 times. It's a book you can read again and again and not get tired of it. There may be some concern that it's to mature for young readers, but you should allow your kids to read it if you believe the are mature enough. It's an awe inspiring book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byteenage_reviews... September 22, 2010

this book is a perfect example of a sittuation many teens are put in . My self im four teen and i personaly loved, it made me realize how easy my life actualy is. It gives a good example of the struggles of a teenagers life i recomend that parents read this book. it is well writen with a good story line.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysweep26 May 18, 2010

BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ.

I love this book ever since i read when i was in eight grade (14) and my teacher recommend this book to me, it was constantly reading at night trying to see, if John would get the girl. It is a very real and captivating story for all ages. This book deals with drugs and abuse (we can see how those two go together) and it very funny at times. John's only friend is him self so to speak because he is alone and no one knows that he suffering. John makes up a lot things that he believes what is really under the skin of that object or person. Such as he believes his tuba is really a frog acting like a tuba. This story like i mentioned before is captivating and a page turner all the way. I am very happy my Eight grade English teacher told me about this wonderful book. I loved this book so much that i am reading it again a year later. This book is a definite MUST read for any age in the teens. This novel deals with brain and depression and suicide. But remember there is alway light at the end of the tunnel. :-)
Teen, 15 years old Written byShahl April 6, 2010

I officially made this my favorite book of all time. I read it a year ago and it's still my favorite. It's just . . so sweet and sad. John is a person almost anyone can identity with
Teen, 17 years old Written byjustins_girl March 29, 2010

i think it is a great book if you and/or your child/children know the difference between fact and fiction.
Adult Written byte_quiero_mas April 9, 2008

you just want to give the kid a hug!

that poor boy just broke my heart. he feels so desparetely alone in his world, and with the abusive parental figure in the house, he is just beat physically and almost mentally. but you have to give the kid respect for fighting back in his mind and is determined to not let that man break him!

Adult Written byjalenamc November 7, 2014

I LOVE'D IT

THIS WAS AN AWESOME BOOK THAT I HAVE READ AT LEAST 100 TIMES
Teen, 16 years old Written byAdriana62 November 15, 2011

Well Written

This book had an interesting way of writing, it was often in second person (to his mom) but used a lot of metaphors. It was hard for me to read about the physical abuse, so that subplots were a nice break.
Teen, 14 years old Written byI am here October 11, 2011

It's ok but freaky

I thought the book was ok, but kind of creepy. Not good for projects or book reports. There's so many conflicts and characters, it's hard to keep up.