How can I use media to foster my kid's curiosity?
It's not hard to be curious in a world that's overflowing with information. The challenge is helping kids find media that's informative, age-appropriate, and credible and that stimulates more curiosity. You can help by engaging with kids -- for example, co-viewing and co-playing and asking questions about what they think.
Movies, TV, and Books:
- Encourage kids to read different kinds of books with wide-ranging subjects and diverse characters.
- When you watch shows together, ask open-ended questions (find conversation starters in the Families Can Talk About section of our reviews).
- Seek out movies and TV shows that inspire curiosity.
Social Media, Apps, Games, and Websites:
- Find apps and games that allow kids to explore and create (for example, Minecraft).
- Look for apps and games that have more than one solution.
- Consider computer-coding apps that let kids experiment with ideas.
- Try out virtual-reality apps such as Google Cardboard that let kids explore new places.