All member reviews for Alice: Madness Returns

Gory game based on children's character is for adults only.

Parent of a 10, 10, and 10 year old Written byParentalguide September 14, 2013

Please do not be concerned

While this game has gore and violence, as long as this is okay with you, this game should be fine for children of 10 and older.the main issue may be if you child/ children is prone to nightmares or has issues of any kind. Parents should not be concerned by this game otherwise. After all, this game is just for fun and despite it's storyline, should be fine for childrens gameplay.
Teen, 14 years old Written byWallet89822 June 24, 2011

Whoa, i could'nt even get past the opening movie of the demo.

Kid, 8 years old April 14, 2013

Alice madness returns

its not to bad its pretty easy to play some animated blood but overall not a bad game i love it so talk with your child if they do play it about the real life world and how this would not happen in real life and how none of the monsters are real so basiclly (excuse my spelling) just make sure they know that none of it is real so yeah this is me sighning off Bye Bye :D
Adult Written byWhatIfImAnOcean March 19, 2012

Wonderful game, but not for children under 12.

Alice: Madness Returns is a twisted and dark game with an excellent plot. While the puzzles are pretty easy and the game is quite short, the interesting worlds, wonderful plot, and fighting styles carry the player through the game. Even though there are quite a few sexual references and some very strong language, the violence is only inflicted on very unreal enemies inside Alice's head, minus a few exceptions, but that's spoilers. The game does give a good message of not letting events in your life consume you and to not let other manipulate you, while still remembering your past. Alice is also an excellent role model in how she is a strong female character who wears a decent amount of clothes and can hold her own, which is hard to find in the media these days. She also protects some of the helpless people in wonderland, showing them compassion and her desire to help. She is a true female hero. My sister is 12 and was able to handle the content in the game as she watched me play through and would even beg me to play longer so she could see what happens next, but she is also mature for her age, so it's all up to parents to decide what's right for their child. I highly recommend this game for any one who could handle the content because of it's lovely graphics, interesting plot, and strong female role model.
Teen, 13 years old Written byOokamass January 9, 2012

Beautiful and Haunting! Not as Bad as parents seek it to be!!

I am currently a 13 year old girl and I've been wanting this game. My dad's side of the family didn't want me to play it but my mom bought it for me secretly. I started playing it and not going to lie i saw disturbing images! it really does have a good message to confront your demons and not let it drag you on from where you go mad. Alice Liddel is also a good role model as she goes around helping people and only fights for self defense. On bosses she does try to convince them not to be evil (which never works!!) and there is a few bad words here and there though. I just finished the game and i am impressed..Alice: Madness Returns has a meaningful message as it takes you into the realistic dark side of every tale.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNekoPocky July 1, 2011

Love this game :D

Hey it's not a kids game so of course younger kids shouldn't be playing this but I've been playing this and love the game. The demented world of Alice Liddel is easy to handle and you say this is a violent? Well then you haven't seen Mortal Kombat. MK makes AMR look like a walk down the park. For those of used to blood, killing in games then get this game. However for those who handle a little blood spilling then stick to something else.
Teen, 14 years old Written byxXCheshireCatXx June 26, 2012

A beautifully dark game with a message

I got this game as a birthday present and I love it. The violence isn't that graphic,(it's just blood), and the swears are not frequent at all. The game's moral is to not let yourself get so caught up with your own problems that you fail to see the problems of others around you. This game's art is astounding and gorgeous, each world better than the last. Mature children will, no doubt, be able to handle this- and thoroughly enjoy it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDearestDoll March 13, 2012

Really good. Ironic since Spicy Horse is in China xD

This is an amazing game. My favourite. It's really good, and fun. Pretty violent, and a person in it(won't spoil as to who) ends up being a creeper dude. That is actually probably why they rated it Not For Kids. My mum bought me this for my birthday, and I really loved it, have played it over again. For mature children, as it could easily scare people who are easily scared(yeah sentence structure isn't my forte xD). Seriously though. It is as good as Skyrim. You hear me? BEST NON-FREE ROAMING EVER. Good. As. Skyrim. Yes, it is possible folks.
Teen, 17 years old Written byIan D. January 1, 2012

Not that bad!

This game is a really good twist on Alice In Wonderland. Yes, there is some gore and cursing, but it is nothing compared to the games most people play today. COD and Battlefield have loads of REALISTIC violence, and language. This game is just bloody, but in a creative, fantasy way. I'd rather see twelve years olds play this rather than war games. This game is a bit scary at the beginning though. I find Alice to be a good role model, because she is only fighting to defend herself, not mindlessly.
Adult Written byJeff Quick July 13, 2011

Alice Returns to Wonderland...Again!

Other than the fact that there is disturbing material, Alice: Madness Returns is a very good sequel to a game that was a great cult title. Anyone who liked the first game will like this sequel (which comes with the original version in case you wanted to play it). The whole plot settles around Alice and her battle with madness. This is a mature story with dark themes, and very obviously intended for a mature audience, I mean, the box says mature, but it depends on your child. This is not intended for anyone under say 14 but use discretion. The gameplay is slightly linear, but still a fun platformer with a solid challenge and good story. 4/5
Parent of a 2, 9, and 14 year old Written byagentmom August 11, 2013

Storyline is worse than the gameplay

I played through this game when it first came out. The actual game play is not bad, although a bit repetitive. You kill non humanoid monsters that don't have real blood, just black goo and do a lot of puzzle solving/exploration. I'd have let my preteen play it, except the cut scenes are filled with obscenities and VERY adult concepts (rape, prostitution & pedophilia). That said, I felt fine allowing my kids, 7 and 12, at the time watch this game but sent them packing to the next room the second a cut scene came on! That said, the actual "story" might be hard to follow for even some teens and they might miss what's really going on in the orphanage. You have to piece it together by finding the story objects when you explore and those only give you a little blurb at a time, sometimes only to imply certain things (like what happens to Alice's sister the night of the fire).
Teen, 13 years old Written byhowrselover March 14, 2012

play! play! play!

CommonSense is crazy themselves! This is a great game and so much fun! I am 11 (I know it says 13, that was a mistake) and I enjoy it. LOOOOVEE it!!!
Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2012

Ive played it and im 11. Me and my dad love it. Fu*k Cu*t and lots of other swears are used but thats about it
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 February 26, 2012

Not bad,just misunderstood.

Misunderstood but parents need to know the entire game is set in an extremely dark and creepy premise.There is lots of splashing blood and gore and of course heavy amounts of violence.Many sequences are disturbing and nightmarish.This is not intended for anyone under 13.I might got this when I was 12 last year both the PS3 and Xbox versions but I'm not violent or affected by the game.However,content is still very extreme and not for everyone.
Adult Written bycarriewhite01 June 14, 2015

Twisted Version of Alice in Wonderland

Okay, so I'm actually 11 years old. I just didn't want to reveal my actual age to Common Sense Media. I DID watch many people play this at the young age of 10 though. The beginning scene freaked me out a bit, and the hospital scene where (SPOILER ALERT) Alice gets a hole drilled into her head creeped me out a bit too. The swearing was a big intense too, but the actual game was fine.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicBadger9001 November 4, 2014

WHAAAAT!!!???

So I'd be playing Alice Madness Returns and I'd just get out of wonderland and I'd think to myself "Better send mum out of the room, these women's cleavage are just toooo much!" (sarcastic voice) Really common sense? Really? It is true that the word "whore" is used, but not that much...at least not with my play through. And yes you visit a brothel but there aren't any suggestive moans, dancers, or even talk of suggestive acts, it's actually rather tame. One of my favorite things about this game is Alice, I think she's a great role model for females these days, nowadays most of them are taught to try to find a man, be really girly, and generally become stereotypes. I can imagine how much trouble the dev team had even getting Alice on the front cover never mind making her the only main character (and a good one at that) at least if I take an estimated guess from the trouble that the devs of Remember Me went through. Alice has a number of weapons at her disposal, Vorpal Blade, Gatling gun, hobby horse, and the teapot cannon, all of them very useful and the combat feels better than the first Alice title but that isn't saying much because trying to throw a cat to Mars while it eats you alive feels better than that putrid mess. But the combat is good either way. There isn't that much blood and when there is it doesn't stain the ground, go on the blade or have an effect on anything. I love this game, the platforming is great (there's a quadruple jump), the combat is fun, the story is pretty solid and Alice is an amazing character, rating 9/10, must play, I give it a T for teen
Teen, 15 years old Written bytechnicallycoral October 22, 2014

Game is good- Story? Not so much.

I'm 15 and I've had my eye on this game for a while. It first caught my interest when I found a painting of it in a store. The actual gameplay isn't all that bad, as long as gore is not an issue. But the story behind the ENTIRE GAME? Definitely not okay for anyone under the age of 15. Even if you're mature. You have to have a good understanding of many adult concepts to understand the game and it's story. It doesn't matter just how mature your 13 year old thinks they are, you need to check the cut scenes of this game before you even consider letting anyone under 15 play this game. Regardless to how mature they may think they are, the "jokes" in the game will also go unnoticed to most. The GAME is fine, but the STORY is definitely not. Think it through.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShaymin Squirrel August 19, 2014

Brilliant

I don't know why this is supposedly inappropriate for children, there's an excellent storyline and gameplay, the endings a bit dark but it gives a good message that you should face your fears and not just stand by and let bad things happen, the majority of the game is just good gameplay, I would highly recommend this game.
Kid, 11 years old August 8, 2014

As long as your kid is mature

I have to admit, it doesn't have any positive messages. But these days, please tell me how many games actually have that? Yes there are a lot, but that'd be maximum 20% of game merchandise. Most games are made to entertain children and adults, not teach them. That's left for school and colleges and some education games. There are no positive role models either. Yeah, Alice clearly states she doesn't want a fight, yet she's a crazy person with blood on her dress. Role model? No thanks. It is easy to play, and it goes from easy to hard as the story of the game unfolds. You could choose between beginner, intermediate, and expert modes though. It doesn't have complicated buttons. There is a lot of violence, but nowadays nearly all kids are used to gore-ish graphics. They watch the news, and they've probably sneaked a horror movie trailer or two from YouTube, so let's face it: violence isn't suppose to concern us anymore in games or movies, because if so, you'd prevent your child from ALL media products. One character that appears only once shows cleavage, so what? They've seen far more on T.V. Media is so corrupted that we shouldn't care about tiny details like this anymore. If your child is innocent and clean, he/she won't notice any of the curse words because: 1. this game uses complicated curse words such as c**t, and kids won't know it's a curse word. 2. It's very infrequent and might only be uttered once or twice in the game. 3. Most times it's faint or in a murmer or low voice, and so it won't be heard unless you're focusing deeply on the narrations. 4. If your subtitle is on, and someone says a curse word such as f**ck, it won't spell the actual word, it'll put stars (*) and a letter or two of the actual curse word. I'm an 11 year old and I love playing this game, I played it last year when I was 10 years old and I'm re-playing it this year because I miss it so much. It's a very creative dark fantasy game that will get your kid's imagination start working (not in a bad way).
Adult Written byThe Prince July 1, 2011

Not too bad.

A little bad language here and there and some violence. That's about it. The only thing you might worry about is that some children would be disturbed by the demented twist on Alice in Wonderland that this game portrays/