Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Apex Legends

Epic battle royale game is more realistic than Fortnite.

Parent Written byABC Mouse February 13, 2019

Cartoonish Battle Royale similar to Overwatch

This game has seemingly replaced Fortnite in popularity, as I’ve noticed my son and his carpool switch the subject of their lengthy conversations to Apex Legends. I was hesitant at first, because the game is a branch off of the violent EA shooter Titanfall. When I saw the word “blood” in the MPAA rating, as well as CSM’s review, I was almost about to tell my 11 year old ‘no’. However, after watching several YouTube videos and reading abou the game, I saw a different side of things. The “blood” is short lasting, just a faint mist of red when using heavy weapons. There is no foul language unless your child’s teammates cuss, but voice chat can be toggled on/off in the settings. The fact that there is no sexual content in this game makes it even safer for kids. The closest thing to drugs and alcohol I could find was when the character pulls out a high tech syringe-type thing and (out-of-view) uses it to gain “health points” and heal. The game doesn’t really encourage any positive messages, but good teamwork will often result in winning the game, which is survival-style, and one elimination will keep you out for the rest of the match. My son, 11 years old, struggles to keep up with the fast paced action in the game, which seems to give him a disadvantage when it comes to escaping enemy fire. I don’t believe it to be any more addicting to kids then Fortnite, and with less bizarre dances and more action, it probably won’t have the uniqueness to remain a popular game for long.

Adult Written byChristina23080 February 7, 2019

Good

Very similar to fortnite
Adult Written byOpeyuk February 11, 2019

Better than fortnight as no silly dancing

Game plays well and I can see it being very popular with preteen gamers. Its 1st person and slightly more graphical than fortnight but concept it very similar (be last alive). I have seen very little gore and game language seems to be very tame. Something to consider for under 13s. If you play solo or in a group of 2 you are forced into a group of 3 so 1 or 2 strangers. In most rounds I played (solo) the 2 random players did not have mics or was tame with there chat but I have had games where I have had abuse and some very vulgar language used towards me. I'm sure there is a mute function in game but tbh I have not looked as I just ignored them ( on ps4 entering private party chat alone or with friend will mute other players in game group) With the above said being my only concern that I have found I would happily let my 10 year old play but only with random players muted. You know your kids best I would say prob 12+ on this game but my 10 year old is mature for 10.

Adult Written byParentReviewer_Group February 11, 2019

Amazing game that has little gore!

Parents should let their kids play this! It has little gore and improves their team building through coordination with teammates. This game has a great time setting that the whole family should enjoy! Get your kid this game for a team building game!

Parent of a 13 year old Written byFeddiemann February 10, 2019

Similar to fortnite

Not alot of violence

Adult Written byCommon Maria February 10, 2019

Not At All Violent, the most Popular Game on the Market!

This free to play game is very popular right now, and most of my 7 year old friends are playing it. The game is very alike to "Fortnite". At fist, I worried about my young son playing this game, but he convinced me that all of his friends are playing it. He only gets on with his friends, and he has become much more social, because kids at his school play this game a lot. I think it is okay for mature 5 year olds or at most 10 year olds. I myself have played this game and it does not seem like any other first person shooter. The graphics make it seem more violent than it really is. The ease to play this game is kind of high, but other than that, any kids above 7 years of age should be okay to play Apex Legends.

Adult Written bychrissk May 28, 2019

Apex legends is not actually that violent

I watch my son play this game and it is not all that violent sure you use guns but it is encouraging teamwork and communication to win. The blood is very minimal and it only shows up for about 2 seconds.

Adult Written byShad0w April 9, 2019

Has a little violence, but not tons

I have personally played Apex Legends, I think it is a fun game, but i would not recommend it for kids under 10 years old, simply because there is violence and sometimes people can be rude in the voice chat, but for the most part, people are nice enough and just want to play the game.

Adult Written byWizardParenting March 30, 2019

Great game with safe chat so it will never be unsafe

Many families find that letting their child play violent games is hard but this is so innocent and child-friendly. It has secure chat so you will never have to worry about online interactions and the violence is the worst thing. It isnt even that bad!

Adult Written byFav dog March 30, 2019

Similar to Fortnite

It is a lot like Fortnite and hear my kids friends saying about how their parents love the fact that it has not a lot of violence

Adult Written bySylvester Stalone March 26, 2019

Great Game

At first, I didn't know if I should let my 6 year old play. It looks very realistic, but as I looked into this game, it really isn't bad at all! There is great teamwork and messages where you can play with friends to achieve an overall goal. Now I even let my 3 year old watch his brother play because he even enjoys it.

Adult Written bytheParent999 March 15, 2019

Very good

My son loved this game it is for parents who's son is addicted to fortnite
Parent of a 15 year old Written byMemeAdict March 9, 2019

Kids over nine years old can play apex lengends (my opinion)

It’s got a similar setup to call of duty but it’s really cartoonishly made and really similar to fortnite if you’re the parent of a ten or eleven year old you should probably let them play this game. there is one problem the voice chat, if you child can’t handle bad late e then I would recommed not getting this game because if your playing online with of kids or young adults the voice chat lets you curse sooooo! they can handle it, or do you not trust your child?!

Adult Written byMarTube February 19, 2019

Let the teens flow

This game is very good, it is appropriate to teens. There are possitive messages because this game focuses on team work. These characters are mostly good, but some have bad backstories. The game is pretty easy to play, but there is a lot of violence, due to the game being about a a battle royale. The language used by characters is fine, but online chat can lead to other people using bad language. You can also buy online currency to buy skins. There is some drug use, because when you heal up, you use some kind of syringe that inyects some kind of healing liquid. I don't know if that counts as drug use.

Adult Written byJrad555 June 26, 2019

Garbage

This game is absolute garbage. Your pathfinder hitbox is seriously trash, every team has one, and you guys are actually stupid for taking this long to fix it.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byHendo H. U May 17, 2019
Adult Written byIcecloud April 12, 2019

Age suitability ?

I’m guessing that there are some reviews on here where people are joking ? 3/5/7 year olds playing a game that’s been rated a 16 ? Screenagers really helps with looking at the psychological and brain development issues that arise from gaming.

Adult Written byTeoSparkles March 19, 2019

It's kinda fun and Sci-fi Battle Royale

The reason why I played this game so far similar to other Battle Royale games. This game contains mild blood, mild language and moderate violence, Players can interact their squads in gameplay and this game may experience online play. Using voice chat can swear other players including addiction to games. The profanity word H*ll and D**n can be heard in the dialogue with some characters of the game.

Adult Written byMoneyjac March 18, 2019

It’s not made for kids

Most of the players are like 14+ and it fine but most 14 year olds are not that mature so 15 is good. (16+ recommended). There’s blood and looks realistic. But what really concerned me was the voice chat. There is a whole lot of toxic teens Swearing. And the voice chat is not that easy to disable. TIP: So if your kid plays it, be close to them and when they start a match don’t make them have headphones on or mute the volume until in the plane. Click (I) on pc or whatever on button to open inventory on the controller, on the top of there will be Three tabs; Inventory, squads, legend. Click squads and at the bottom of each player there will be a speaker click it to mute. But I still do not recommend kids under 12 to play

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written bySomeoneZeeOne March 11, 2019

Apex Legends

In Apex Legends, players are put into teams of three (all users can communicate with each other through voice chat) and fight to be the last team standing. In order to survive, players must use any assortment of weapons, including guns, knives, fire, explosives, and gas. There is no gore except for blood splatter effects and minor blood stains. Most characters have positive goals and backgrounds. However, one character is a mad scientist who loves to watch his victims suffocate to death, but he’s explicitly marked as “not a hero”. Some characters say minor curses, such as “hell” and “damn”. Also consider that players can communicate through voice chat, which isn’t filtered. However, you can turn this into text, which is censored.

Privacy & Safety