All member reviews for Assassin's Creed III

Bloody Revolutionary War adventure best for mature gamers.

Learning(i)

Parent Written byTaCTiCaLxReFLeX November 2, 2012

Honest review

I do not know why people keep saying this game is full of sex.......I have played the whole game through and there just 1 reference to sex, nothing a 5th grader cant handle, the language is not that bad. yes the f-word is said once and the s-word is said a few times but cursing is not common and will not be heard a lot.....mainly because there is not a lot of dialogue in the game
Parent of a 5, 5, 10, and 13 year old Written byopenparent November 8, 2012

AC3

A great game that allows kids to love of history. It is a bit violent, but much can be avoided, it all depends on how one plays the game. Nothing a mature 11 year old can't handle. AC3 does have blood, but it can easily be turned off. Next to NO SEXUAL CONTENT in this game, there is worse in seven year old's TV shows. There is a lot of cultural education in this game, the developers put a huge amount of effort into historical and cultural accuracy. The protagonist is a good role model, as he does what he believes is just, and tries to save innocents. There is a little bit of cursing, one or two uses of the "F Word", and a few uses of s--t. overall a great game.
Parent of a 13 and 14 year old Written byJerrysParents November 10, 2012

Great game one of my top 5

After watching through the first level of this game with my children I was hooked and decided to create my own account and try it out. Once I started playing I became immersed inside the game the graphics are truly wonderful and the gameplay is crisp and magnificent. There is the occasional profanity but not enough to take away from the game and it is nothing a mature ten year old cant handle. As a huge american history lover I absolutely loved this game and found it not only fun to play but great to learn with as well. As having completed the entire game now and ready to redo it I am absolutely fine with my children playing this game. As for the sexuality that people have talked about there is nothing but a mentioning of someone and it is not detailed. The violence in this game isn't anything an 11 year old cant handle so my two sons who are 13 and 14 can easily handle this game. Remember dear fathers out there you might just have to strap yourself in and immerse yourself in the beauty of being in possibly the most important factor in american history... so enjoy because i am 48 and i love this game.
Parent Written byParentsence December 21, 2012

Good game. For 12 years

Well assasins creed 3 is a good game and their is violence but not that bad I recommend it for 10 years and up it has a lot of historic events and the only bad part of the game is the blood but that can be turned off as well as the swearing thanks for your time
Teen, 17 years old Written bybobbyray November 5, 2012

Great game

This game is not that bad don't let the commonsense review hold you up....the f word is used very little and other mild language. Sexual content is mild at best a few sexual references. The game is very bloody but the blood can be turned off. There is brief torture scene that is kind of graphic it can be skipped though... Overall great game MATURE 13 AND UP ONLY!!!!!
Parent Written byAdviser01 December 21, 2012

Not Really a Bad game...

Assassin's Creed 3 is rated M for mature for: Intense Violence, Blood, Sexual Themes, and Strong Language. My son has this game. he's 13 years old, and this title isn't actually that bad. Assassin's creed 3 revolves around the Revolutionary war. This game is from a Native American Assassin's point of view. The game shows how his mother is killed in a fire lit by a Templar, or an enemy of the Assassin's. You see how he grows into an Assassin. This game really has NO sexual themes, there is just a tiny cut scene that you can skip. However, this game IS from an Assassin's point of view as he fights the British. He uses many weapons, such as a: Tomahawk, Hidden Blades, Rope Darts, Axes, Swords, and basically any weapon that can kill Red-Roats. This game has a bit of language, but it's nothing a kid won't hear in a middle school. Connor, the Native American Assassin, is a pretty positive role-model. he fights for the freedom of his people, and also helps historical figures, such asSamuel Adams, and George Washington. This game should be okay for 13 and up.
Educator and Parent Written byAnglon November 25, 2012

A Rich Experience

While violent, AC3 is an engrossing game that allows history to come alive for both adults and children. As the parent of two sons who love AC3 - a 10-yr. old (who has opted to turn the blood off) and a 12-yr. old -, I believe the game is suitable for children whose parents talk to them about the issues of identity, morality and racism broached in the game. Furthermore, it offers one of the few experiences in video games from a Native American perspective.
Parent Written byBattleVet75 July 3, 2013

The best and biggest in series

This game is the best in the series so far. The single player portion gives players weeks of gameplay, be it the complex, outstanding, extremely long story or playing the wealth of side missions. The violence here is also the most intense and includes a blood system that actually allows the blood to stain the environment( a first for the series). However, the most graphic scenes happen in the cutscenes. For instance, a soldiers leg is severed from a cannon ball, there are two point blank shootings in the head, a captives throat is slit, and two characters throats are stabbed. There are a few sexual references and a scene in which players briefly see a naked woman running out of a characters house. The language is undoubtedly the most explicit of the series. It is an overall excelent game and is ok for 16 and up. Check out my other reviews for the rest of the Assassins Creed games. Hope this helped.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDelete123 November 9, 2012

The truth

One parents must know sexual themes means revealing outfits or people in undergarments there's no actual sex in the game language can be turned off and blood can be turned off too
Parent Written byjohnknicks22 November 24, 2012

Assassin's Creed 3

Assassin's Creed 3 is a violent game, don't get me wrong. If you feel that your child is responsible enough to handle a game like this, then let them get it. As a parent I was sensitive to my 12 year old son having games such as these because I thought it was too intense. After a lot of begging, he finally talked me into letting him get this one game. After he had been playing the game for a while, I realized he was not having a post-play issue with violence,etc. If you are one of those parents who is like I used to be, I suggest you step out of your comfort zone and give your kid a chance at taking on the responsibility of owning a game like this.
Educator Written byFamilyCounselor November 12, 2012

LEARNING

An action packed, thought provoking, period piece.

Assassins Creed has always carried a Mature rating generally for its level of violence but also because the themes presented are complex and of an adult nature. From the hopes of a developing America through freedom, diversity, and compassion to absent-father / son tensions, Connor's experience as a mixed race (British/Mohawk) assassin under the tutelage of an African American mentor speaks to the narrative of the disenfranchised. Ubisoft went to great lengths to portray the protagonist as a multi-faceted character rather than just a stereotype of Native Americans. Subtleties in body langage like Connor's discomfort of physical touch are apparent for those that are looking. Entire cut scenes in his native language also bring a welcome sample of the values of their culture. To the colonists, Connor's idealism is perceived as naive and there are several morally ambiguous moments within the main storyline. As for the gameplay, it is a departure into new territory with naval battles and a different control scheme which takes some time to get accustomed to. Definitely more strategic in the combat mechanic than previous titles as well. The bulk of the game is in the side missions which don't open entirely until Sequence 6-7, many of which are time distractions. However, the most rewarding were the Homesead missions which develop a sense of community and provide significant emotional payoff with the surrogate parent relationship between Connor and his mentor. For those new to the series, there isn't as much backstory as would be desired about the Assassins and there is a very slow start up to the main plot. It is always grounded in a historical setting but taking many liberties, enough to discount the series as a history lesson and more of a "what if" type of scenario. The overall theme of the AC series is that freedom, though often messy with different perspectives and experiences, is to be valued over fascist order. Families can also talk about what freedom may look like to different people. Connor's core definition of it was the safety of his people. What about the colonists or of different communities today? Alternatively, what are some of the guiding influences that the children have outside of their family members? Connor and his biological father had differing values but he was able to find a more positive influence in line with his own.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bygoodveiw March 8, 2013

honest review

its a great game. really educational. A little bit bloody but nothing to violent. There is basicly NO laungauge.nothing a 10 year old cant handle. overall not bad and really great.
Parent Written byPaulsifer February 14, 2013

I Think CSM's Reviewer Focused a Little too much on the Blood

For the right age, Assassin's Creed III can help with learning about and creating interested in history and moral decisions. If you play the game, and follow the story closely, you'll notice that the Assassin's, as a group, are not blood thirsty killers, but people who try to preserve the freedom of others. Does Conner kill people in this game to achieve this end? Yes. But so did our founding fathers. I also find it interesting how much people focus on the violence, when along with it, you have the option to help others by taking them to the doctor when they've contracted small pox. You also have the option to burn the blankets, pay mortgages so people don't lose their houses, collect pieces of the Pennsylvania Gazette, sell and buy items to vendors, defend citizens from abusive soldiers, and so much more that could help teenagers look at real problems, and show how good it is to stop people like that. Is it bloody? Yes. Is there a little swearing? Yes (I don't remember a single F-word though). But is Conner really not a possible role-model just because he kills people for a greater good? Just like my friends and family in our military, I'd say no.
Parent of a 7 and 13 year old Written bySpraio May 22, 2014

Assassins Creed 3

Common Sense Media overreacts about a lot of content. This game is no different. I played through the entire story in 3 days, and I didn't find it that bad. If your child can understand the difference between real life and virtual violence, this game is fine. I let my 12 year old son play it but I don't allow my younger son to. The blood in this game can be disabled in the settings, and the language is not very frequent. The worse you will see in this game is some blood stains on someone. However, some of the attacks you can perform are quite brutal. This includes cracking someone's neck, hitting them in the head with and ax, slitting a throat with a tomahawk, or putting a sword in someone's back. I know that sounds pretty bad, however I barely noticed how I killed people most of the time. There was some blood, and it would spatter the environment, but as I said, it can be disabled. No gore is shown in this game at all. The use f**k and sh*t was very infrequent. If your kid is mature enough, this game is fine at 12 or 13. it also has real events that have happened. I'm not saying that will teach you anything, however it is pretty cool.
Parent Written byTheDad99 January 28, 2013

Assassin's Creed 3

I bought this game for my 10 year old son and he loves it. There is absolutely no sex at all and the blood can be turned off With the screen muted it can be a 7+ game in Europe And 10+ game in other countries. Connor Kenaway main character Is a good guy because he helps a losing team to defeat the British I strongly recommend this game for mature Tweens
Educator and Parent Written by321edu123 May 15, 2014

Very educational game

Very good game. There is violence but blood can be turned of. There is 1 f word and 3 s words in in. I recommend this game because it makes history fun and interactive. There is Absolutely no sex in it either. The character also plays a Robin Hood type role. Good for 9/10 year olds +
Teen, 13 years old Written bySovaso February 12, 2013

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death

Assassin's Creed III. Warning: do NOT read on if you are 12 or under. This game is about an assassin named Connor in the Revolutionary War. I don't play many M-rated games, and this one I have done many things to make it better. OK warning over. Let's get to the game. ACIII is an amazing game. It sets a new bar for action games and is extremely fun. The parkour-stealth-history-open world franchise is very cool. ACIII comes the closest to home in it's history. The Revolutionary War is what defined America. It isn't biased towards America or Britan. It's what happened. However, most of your targets are British. The game relays the message that fighting tyranny is good within parameters. Connor can be an OK role-model. However, he does kill. The volence in the game is hefty. Among your wide arsenal of weapons is a tomahawk, hidden blades, a knife attached to a rope, poison darts and much more. There is killing with all weapons. you can also hunt animals such as bear and deer. There are stylized kills and shootings. People get stabbed with Bayonettes. Redcoats get hung from high buildings. The violence is common and intense. The Rating of the game says that there are "sexual themes". However, I encountered nothing of the sort. There is little little Language in all of Connor's sequences such as d*nm and h*ll. But when you hit Desmond's sequences, expect a few F-Bombs and D**k. One character smokes a cigar. Others drink and belch. Although it's not excessive, it's there. Overall, ACIII is a great game with themes that aren't OK for kids. I would say this is OK for 16+ year olds, iffy for 13-15 and definately off for 12-. In the end ACIII is great with precautions. The blood can be turned off a the general options menu to give a less realistic feel. Overall I would give this game a 9/10! Just be a little careful around this game.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNo Name, for real. November 2, 2012

Great but a little violent.

There are stabbings with swords, hidden blades, and bayonets. As well as shooting with rifles, bows, and pistols, all at redcoats, or animals.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPahrokkal July 23, 2013

Assassins Creed III (READ FOR HONEST REVIEW.)

Well, Let me start off with this. I have been buying and reviewing these kinds of games for years, and I have quite a bit to say about Assassins Creed III. First off let me say that I own the game and know all of its experiences. Say you came here because your 11 yr old or 12 yr old son is getting on their knees and begging you to let them have the game. If so, don't listen to all those other reviews. Most of them are dishonest, and exaggerate often. This one is Honest, Clear, and to the point. Assassins Creed III is a very good game with a gripping story. A young Native American boy, (Four to be exact) named ratohnhaké:ton, has his village invaded and set on fire by redcoats. His mother sadly dies in the fire. Yet this does not compel him to get revenge on the men responsible, he forgives and forgets. Nine years later, the village is rebuilt, and his village is at peace. Later, ratohnhaké:ton has a dream, it tells him to seek a symbol, The "Assassins Brotherhood" symbol. He is also told to go East and he will find a manor with an African American who will train him. Naturally, he goes there and the man trains him. (The mans name is Achilles) After complete training, he introduced to the brotherhood and is now an assassin. After that the same redcoats who attacked his village, force them to leave the village, and that's when they went to war. ratohnhaké:ton later changes his name to Connor. Through out gameplay Connor meets historical figures, such as George Washington, John Pitcairn, Charles Lee, and many more. So this game has quite a bit of learning about the Revolutionary War, The Boston Massacre, and the Boston Tea party. Violence: This game is very violent, but not over the top. You have a tomahawk that you use to hit and slam enemies to the ground with. You also have a bow that you can use to kill targets at long range with. The two last weapons are a flintlock pistol and a hidden blade. the hidden blade really is self explanatory. It is a blade that is hidden on your wrist for stealthy kills. There is a good amount of blood in the game, but this can easily be turned off in the options menu, making it a less gory experience. There is language, but not to much of it, mostly because there isn't a lot of dialogue in the game. Drinking drugs and smoking: There is no Smoking, nor drugs in the game. Although there is drinking. Sometimes you see men and women drinking wine, But this is not a huge deal, you don't see anyone getting drunk or anything. I think that this game has a GREAT positive message. Connor does not kill because of revenge, or hate, he is simply trying to defend his people, Also he is a symbol of standing up for your ways. All in All, I think this game is a great and enjoyable learning tool for kids 11 to 13.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byJohn Locke April 6, 2013

Assassin's Creed review

I personally think that it depends on your child. Most parents (if they knew all about the game) would let their 11 year old play this game. It would only be otherwise if your the type of parent that is really overprotective. With all due respect for those people, I think that kids wont do bad stuff just because they see it. Plus the main character is not a bad role model, just because he has to kill people doesn't mean he is bad. Are all the veterans in the world bad? No! Video games don't "rot the brain" in fact this game is about the revolutionary war it could teach your child about America's rich history. So what if this game is a little violent, you can turn blood off. So what if it swears a little bit, any 8 year old can handle that. I have played the game thoroughly and there may be a reference to sex, but that is it. The people who made the rating had to put that in there because they would be lying even if it is just one reference. Personally I would let my 9 year old play it, but I know other parents are different so I would say 11 or up.