Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Epic historical tale with bloody violence, language, sex.

Adult Written byJoshep October 3, 2018

What?

First off What? This games nudity is not seen and is not that bad yes there Is causing and blood but that's all and the causing isn't even that bad

Adult Written bydarry hill October 1, 2018

would aprove for kids

coming from a christian famly i would like to think this game isnt that bad, would totally let kids 13 and older play it
Parent of a 14 year old Written byMack W. October 4, 2018

Parents hear me out

As a parent of 3 I don't let my kids just play anything, I have limits and so this is great for my 12 year old twin daughters. Reason I say this is because they play all A.C. games and the whole purpose of these games isn't to teach war or how to kill, but to learn about history. my twin girls are terrible at social studies in school (not that they're not trying, its just complicated to comprehend), but I let them played the A.C. games and next thing u know they learned A LOT about history. reason is say this is because assassins creed games takes place in different time eras like Egypt, London, paris, A LOT. So the games not only helped my daughters grades but also taught her more of the past including me as well, I was blown away with the graphics but the history story telling is on point. There is no sex in this game, just nude statues like in art and the blood can be turned off in most A.C. games and there is no serious gore. In all A.C. games yes there is killing, but not the sole purpose or plot is to kill, killing is only at bad guys and never gruesome like blood splattering horror type, just normal blood. I recommend this game to everyone 12+

Adult Written byHowKlait October 2, 2018

Way overprotected

I'm a parent of 2 boys myself one is 8 and the other one is 16. I let the 16 year old play the game because I know he can handle violence. Of course 8 year old is too young but i think that if your son or daughter is around 15, he'll love assassin's creed. It's a great game and the main focus is the story not the violence. If you're against sex, then you should still let your child play. There is no real sex in the game, only a few breasts and of course the penises of the greek statues. I think the main characters, Kassandra and Alexios, are good models for children. They stand up for what they think is right. Of course your kid will understand that the violence in the game is not like violence in real life. If your kid thinks that, you shouldn't let him play the game but put him in a mental hospital. The game is also historically correct, so your kid will learn something along the way, at least mine did with the older versions of the game.

Adult Written byWayne B October 24, 2018

Excellent... with limitations.

I have always loved these games, and I never did play AC: Origins. So this is the first AC game, with this new format, that I have played. They really changed the game in a very good way. In my personal opinion, and it is simply what I follow, any language, and any sexual content is too far, and that is why I never played Origins, is because there is nudity in the game. I got this game, with a good conscience because you can turn off the voices/subtitles, and there is no nudity in the game. You can, however, flirt with characters, and then the screen will cut to black implying sex, before you return to the game having seen nothing. This is never necessary, and completely avoidable. The language seemed light to me, however, like I previosuly said, any language is too much, but I play without voices or subs. With all of this in mind, the only other topic to touch on is the violence. Blood splatters at impact with swords, bludgeons, spears, and the like. There are some greusome cutscenes in which people have spears shoved through their faces. Cutscenes are skipable, and blood can be turned off. I play the game for the fun of it, and not for the story line. I play with no cutscenes, and no voices, I leave blood on, and the game is excellent. If you want it just of the gameplay, you can easily do that with the settings in the game, and turning off language and blood, and avoiding sexual interaction (which is few and far between) I would say this is a 15+ game. But, with all of that in, definitely an 18+.

Adult Written byKassie1234 October 4, 2018

Its not that bad

Yes, there's some violence and one or two bad words, but otherwise I don't see why its 18+. I did some research and found that Europe is one of the only places that rate this 18+.

Adult Written bydadman November 1, 2018

Realllllllly good

Not bad at all, you should get it my brother got it and he is young the only nudity is on statues

Adult Written bySome Adult 89 October 7, 2018

Not Bad

The game has very few bad words and sex the sex is just talking then it goes into a black screen. The blood isn’t that gory it’s just a blood splatter there and here.

Adult Written bySThomas135 December 23, 2018

Misunderstood

This game is VERY misunderstood for it rating. ESRB labeled it with sexual themes because of the stone statues but there is no actual sex. Also it is also somewhat educational. You will learn about the old Greek philosopher Sokrates and Greek author Barnabes. And last of all the language. The language is not that bad if you raise your kid to know that bad language is not acceptable. I think if your kid is 13 or older they will have no problems with this game.

Adult Written byfinnwilliams January 4, 2019
Parent of a 10 year old Written byWudsta February 22, 2019

A great murderous rampage

The Language is largely not an issue, rated 12 movie wise. Nudity? Nothing other than statues as far as I can see. Violence - plenty. Lots. Implied to a degree, but you are clearly impairing hundreds of people with a spear, through the head, body , snapping necks, chocking them to death, or a combination of all of them. Setting people on fire, throwing them to sharks (although largely unseen), kicking them off cliffs, oh and killing every animal about without any judgement, comeback, or issue. It isn’t killing bad guys, it is mostly soldiers, but there is no ‘bad’ side. As a result it is amoral, entirely mercenary. You also get many contracts, as a mercenary, to murder in cold blood for exceedingly dubious reasons. Civilians often join in fights in towns, with predictable results for them. In short, violence is the issue. My 10 year old could handle it, but I don’t want him to and am concerned about it. I am a keen gamer, this is an excellent game with a brilliant gameplay ‘loop’, but it isn’t for anyone not fairly well settled in high school in my opinion. Insofar as learning about history, you would learn the same from watching ‘300’.

Adult Written byCart1270 January 12, 2019

Great game, really good at passing time.

I let my 11 year old son play it, and I know some people complain that "it swears" or, "it has blood", but you can just turn the blood off in the gameplay settings. It's labeled under Blood FX by the way. And to remove most of the swearing, just go into the audio settings, and turn off the subtitles. And, if your kid has headphones to hear the dialog, just ask them to remove the earphones during cutscenes where the main character is talking to an enemy. They say it has "Sexual themes", but the only sexual thing shown is the male privates on some Greek statues, and they would have learned about that in health class anyways. The main thing Common Sense Media think is "Sexual" about this game, is that you can choose to stay overnight with another character sometimes, and sometimes it will intend that you will have sex with them. If your kid does choose to do this, the screen will just fade black and will start to load, then resume the game, beside the house of the character you just stayed with.

Adult Written byBill Bonestaie January 2, 2019

Great Game

This game is amazing and is lots of fun, my son Gabe has had this game for a month and absolutely loves it, there is some violence and language but I made him turn it off in the settings. The only sexual themes is on the statues but come on they have seen the same stuff in health class at school so I feel like this game is for kids 10+
Adult Written bydannyd134 March 10, 2019

Good game, but the CSM review is a little too protective...

Well, to begin with, the game is designed very well with a lot to do, so if you think your kid will get bored of this quickly, think again. It is a great open world game with a lot to explore and find. After 2 weeks of my 14 year old son begging for me to just look at it, I finally did. I found just as much violence and killing as I thought I would but, it turns out you can turn off the blood in the game is wished. There is incredibly small amounts of nudity, only from a handful of statues, and there is no real bad language that my 14 hasn't heard. It's a great game that my son is having loads of fun with. I would say that most 14 year olds can handle that violence. Also, my kid knew that it took place in the Peloponnesian War so he even got a slight amount of history from it. Great game, great for eighth graders and kids who are 14 years or older. Hope this helps out!

Adult Written byMLErskine March 4, 2019

Excellent game for older child

There is violence-however-it is killing the “bad guys”. The graphics are stunning. I was more concerned with possible sex in this game. So there are options that can be accessed on a menu screen-one of these options is a heart symbol. The description of what happens if you select the heart is “flirt”. My son is 11 and we have not let him play the game unsupervised. So far-after many hours of play-there has been no sex or nudity of any kind. Including statues ( not that that bothers us-we are Greek and do not find nudity in ancient art offensive). But I find it interesting that I had read about so much nudity and have seen none. There are some swears-the “f” and “s” words. And many in Greek. Overall -if you let your child play video games with some violence-then there is nothing to worry about here.
Adult Written byLookatdisdude February 25, 2019

Too overated

There's not that much violence there's no sex and nudity ever seen and they worst they say upto is shit #Notthatbad your kids would hear way way worse at school its a game that involves strategy focus and war good enough for 10 and up
Adult Written byJeffery David February 21, 2019

Fine for teens

No nudity, no sex, little swearing. The only thing is blood which can be turned off easily.

Adult Written bybilly smith January 30, 2019

What parents should know.

I think in the past the media has built a grotesque image of not such a bad franchise. I also think that compared to games of the same rating like doom it is not that bag. As a side note I personaly as a pop culture consumer (Mabye a bit too much rap for my age.) think that it shoude have a teen rating I mean just look at what parents and kids are saying for the avreage age rating. So in the end I think it is okay for your child as long as they are 11+ to play

Parent of a 7 year old Written byBennett V. January 27, 2019

Great game with many historical accuracies.

There is an option to disable blood fx, and with that on, it is no worse than a pg 13 movie. There are many historical sites to visit and learn about, and the game provides fun-facts about ancient Greek culture on loading screens.

Adult Written bysantawanker December 20, 2018

amazing!

I think it its a good RPG game that may include sexual things but is off screen and kids in year 4 and over already know about it and hear rude language often