All member reviews for Baroque

Teen, 16 years old Written byChibisnake July 15, 2010

There's one character who uses the word "G-dd-mm-t" in every sentence. The goal of the game is to SHOOT GOD! Multiple times. While there are endings that involve you not killing god, the message that is stamped into your head constantly is "go shoot god." The main character who isn't the player is known as the archangel (Remember, in Christianity, Judaism and Islam we are taught Archangels are god's messengers). He tells you what to do and gives a weapon. Now, at this point of the description, you know the kid is going to assume this is a very good guy, and your friend. Then he starts to say shoot god. But he says it in interesting ways. "Purify the diluted god" and such. He also stresses that this is how to save the world. Also, something Common Sense does not have badges for, the imagery is very grotesque. Not violent, there's not really blood or anything, but it's certainly disturbing, in fact, I'm 16 and the image on the spine of the game case creeps me out. Characters are distorted humans, some with their heads lodged in their stomached. Everyone's flesh is an ugly brown. One character, if hit, says "Yes, I should just die. DIE DIE DIE." Another character, a big, meaty guy, ends up burying himself, and his body is decaying and shriveled in the ground yet waste up you see him, and he lives. He groans in pain should you hit him. Another recurring character(s) are the littles, winged infants with black holes for their eyes and mouth. It's explained that the gun your character wields shoots the babies into the enemy, the babies expand and both explode and die.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFunHorror July 10, 2010

Be careful; this is for a niche audience.

Hi there! Listen, before you give this game to anyone you know, make sure you know what kind of RPG's they like. I implore you. The thing about Baroque is that it's from a very specific RPG genre - the Roguelike. Roguelikes are extraordinarily difficult most of the time, and more often than not they feature something called permanent character death, which is exactly what it sounds like. If you die, you need to reroll a new character (or the same you had before) and start from the beginning. These games can be very fun, but they'll be painful to people who don't like the genre. However, Baroque is less punishing in that you can save items for your future clones and your story progress is saved even if you die. Actually, you need to die to advance the story. Still, this will confound players for whom one of the biggest draws of RPG's is amassing power endlessly to eventually become a godlike being. Sorry, I thought I'd get that out of the way. In any case, the delightfully creepy monster design? Not for kids. The themes? Not for kids. Do not be deceived by the T rating: This is not for youngsters. At all.

not the best...

I played this game and well its not the best. It's really boring and the language can be an issue. They don't say f--- but they do say g-dda---t ALOT!! If thats not an issue than nothing is.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNightinggalesRose April 7, 2012

Dissapointing

I picked up this game because it was five dollars, looked satisfyingly gothic, and my parents approved. Fabulous, right? Then, I played for a full week. I went down that ridiculous tower so many times it became a joke and I barely got halfway through. It's a fun game, but repetitive and painfully slow at times. It was certainly worth my five dollars, but not much more. In respect to the values portrayed, there's really no issue. The main character wants to better himself no matter what, the violence is minimal, the monsters are fantisized. No problem for children.