All member reviews for Battlefield 4

Extremely violent and mature military shooter sequel.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Parent Written bycjw314 January 7, 2014

Mature Rating from ESRB doesn't mean 'my 12 yo kid can handle it'.

MATURE Rating states - "Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language." Are any of the reviewers actually adult parents who have some 'skin in the game'? Not a single of these reviews addresses the fact that your '12' or 13' year old is playing a game with a majority adult audience - and language to follow that. Sure the content itself is tame, but the online-interactions are far from it. If you think the in-game supported voice-chat in Battlefield 4 (or any other online game, for that fact) is anything less than setting a new record for using the F word, you're deluded and need to sit down and play a few rounds of a modern 'real' game for education's sake alone. I guarantee you will not complete a round of play without hearing more than enough to 'make up your mind' that your 12 year old shouldn't be involved. The BF4 game itself /is/ amazing, and can be a great exercise in teamwork. However, I don't play M-rated games so I can play with unguided profane 12 year olds, regardless of how their parents are (supposedly) "raising" them.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byBiker 123 November 5, 2013

Good for those who understand right and wrong

This is a good game, however I can see why it is an 18 because the main story line has quite a bit of gore in it. BUT the multiplayer is fine, but I would only recommend the game to teens who understand the dangers of guns as the game dose glorify guns a bit. Over all a good game
Parent of a 13 year old Written byFrankAGuerrero December 17, 2013

Battlefield review. my opinion for parents

I have purchased this game for my son. Growing up lots of my family members were drafted into the military. I think it is good for my son to have some knowledge about wars, just incase anything were to happen. You can turn off any blood and swearing to ensure your child has the safest experience. If you are contemplating this game for your child, i would recommend it!
Parent of a 15 year old Written byJoanna1967 November 7, 2013

Violent, but there are many worse games around.

I have just bought this game for my son and he loves it! I have looked at it myself and read many reviews. I would not recommend this game to any young children. When my son plays "online" it doesn't seem as bad as when he plays what he likes to call the campaign. If your child is mature enough and isn't too young this game has some good morals and my son seems to have lots of fun with his friends!
Parent Written byJohn Pitt July 31, 2014

Optional content.

There is a setting where the violence can be reduced by 60% and the blood and language can be completely shot off. I have my child turn this setting on.
Parent Written bybobthedude November 4, 2013

not much changed

campaign is a bit gritty but online is pretty much the same as bf3 except from: New graphics and maps with a lot more interactions
Parent Written byLogics March 18, 2014

Common sence

Look OK if you have a child 12 - 17 and don't want them to see torture then don't let them on the campaign as that has the swearing on it. On the multi-player its fine all it is is just like any other shooter your child may have for eg. Halo 4. When you kill a COMPUTER generated person all you see is a red splodge that dose not stain the ground so you only see it on impact. When I said computer generated I mean for you to teach your child that it is just a avatar representing a person you MUST tell them that. Make a contract with them and say if they swear of do bad things and become violent you have the right to take the game and/or the console. What I'm saying is that the multi-player is fine but if your child is under 18 don't let them on the campaign.
Parent Written byThewiseman December 1, 2013

This game is perfect!

I think this game is great for kids. It shows teamwork value in the MP PORTION of this game, guns have reasonable recoil...............(not like in COD) the recoil actually drops the bullet.......bullet drop. It has big maps for great destruction of the environment. It has little dialogue in the MP(no bad words) and the violence is fine. There is always a frontline in BF4(MP)............so then there's no run-and-gun style like in COD. The single player campaign has profanity and violence. Overall just let the kids play the MP portion of this game.(I am playing this on BF4 PC) Get this game over COD............it has good values to it.
Parent Written byTheRealReviewNow December 22, 2013

The Real Review of Battlefield 4

Hello other families..Battlefield 4 is a game like Call of Duty...but the battlefield series has always had some hidden graphic features that can be turned off in the settings altho this game is rated M it should be appropriate for ages 10 and older.
Educator and Parent Written byDaisy Mangdellin May 8, 2014

Should be monitored

As a parent and high school teacher, I have trouble letting my son play these games. He really wanted this game, he had watched other people play it on YouTube. He showed me the videos but I was very reluctant to let him play. The whole idea of shooting another person for fun boggles my mind but he is a strong, mature enough boy to know what is real and what isn't. I also think that he should not be playing that game ALL the time. Limited amounts of time playing violent games. It has worked so far. The campaign though is questionable. I only let him play the multiplayer. Hope this helps.
Parent Written byBobJones21 November 20, 2013

Truth

It is a lot of fun and not over the top. Just let them play multiplayer and you are fine. The language is only bad in the single player but your kid allready hears that at your school most likely. The violence is like Uncharted exept first person. Keep in mind that this game is rated mature because of the language which is only in the singe player . Just let them play multiplayer.
Adult Written bySh0ck_13lade May 15, 2014

Not What Common Sense Media is Making Out Of

I may not have a child yet (I'm only 28), but I am a game designer at Naughty Dog Inc., the creators of the Last of Us and Uncharted. Let me tell you, CSM is completely incorrect in portraying the nature of the game. First of all, it's not really bloody or gory at all. There maybe a little mist of blood here and a small blood stain on the wall (just like in real life) there, and there is very little gore in the game as there is only scene in the single player where amputation is a must to free a fellow teammate. BF4 aims to be realistic. You wouldn't see very much gore in real life either. Second of all, if you don't like the swearing in this game, you could turn it off. It shouldn't be a problem either. Your child has most likely been familiar with cursing, particularly in school. Otherwise, in multi-player, your child doesn't have to listen to other players talk if they don't plug in headphones Third of all, the game has good messages and morals. Like the scene I had stated before (with the amputation), that may be violent and bloody but it comes to show the heroism of the troops in-game and in the army right now. When my nephew had played it, he had stated afterwards that "he would never take our soldiers and our freedom for granted again". In multi-player is a different story. It shows your child the importance of team work and planning ahead. They will work to solve problems and hopefully bring their team into victory. Failure means defeat, but this can be considered a good way to learn from their mistakes, not to mention there is a respawn and revive system to reinforce this. There is nothing to fear mothers and fathers. If your child knows the difference between right and wrong (which is most likely), it wouldn't be a problem at all. Remember, it's not the games and movies that makes a child violent, it's usually the way they are raised and taught. It also depends on there personality and the social environment around them.
Parent Written byAlusivebee November 12, 2013

enjoy

I got this game and it had the best graphics but there is a bunch of violence but not has violent as the first halloween movie so get your kids this game it is a family bundle of joy.
Adult Written byJoel Davenport February 10, 2014

Excellent Game - But Wait Until You're Older.

TLDR: Battlefield 4 is beautiful, but was not made for kids. There are lots of beautiful FPS (First Person Shooters) out there without the same level of violence, profanity, and uncanny realism. (I would recommend the latest iteration of Halo, which has traditionally favored a younger audience.) The battlefield franchise (particularly bf4) is popular because it represents the cutting edge in graphic realism. A fire burns like a fire, smoke rises like smoke, and when boxes explode, papers go flying. If you have a nice system, it's a very gratifying experience. The game-play is immersive because it never breaks character - it's not cute or quaint, it looks and feels real. (When you look down, you have legs. When you jump a barrier, hands reach down to lift you over. When you swim, you swim. When you shoot the terrain, it changes accordingly.) The game isn't deliberately gory - you won't find bits and pieces of people floating around. But the game doesn't sugarcoat things either. BF4 is intended for adults - so you'll see blood and not confetti when you shoot, knife, or shell an enemy. The cut scenes and scenarios in the campaign (single player mode) are particularly unsettling. (But more tasteful than the Gears of War or Deadspace series.) As for language, I felt like the campaign swore a lot more than your typical rated R film. (Again, the idea being that men at war would actually speak this way in an emergency.) If you would like your children to play online, be aware that the good majority of players your child will be interacting with are adults. I'm not of the camp that believes violent videogames will turn children into violent people. That said, BF4's commitment to realism means that the true-to-life video effects can be unsettling for younger participants. If you feel that your children are particularly impressionable (or would like to protect their eyes and ears from a game geared towards adults,) you'd be better off purchasing a different FPS (First Person Shooter.)
Parent Written byjohn marlow December 27, 2013

the truth about battlefield 4

Battlefield 4 is a classic example of a military shooter alongside its other first peron shooters this year if gives an option to turn off all language and blood. Once that is turned off it can not be turned back on
Teen, 13 years old Written byFMAgeek December 18, 2013

Fantastic Game for 12+...

Battlefield 4, is an amazing game first off. I think that this game is ok because it shows how you can really actually appreciate the soldiers fighting for your lives - which is very humbling actually, language: first off, you are able to turn off language, or also mute the TV., and I mean look around you people on a daily basis are cussing left and right, another thing for you parents out there, is: that you could make a contract with your kid and have them sign it stating that your if your child is to hit, cuss... etc. then you are allowed to take the game away, violence - blood, compared to other games this has nothing + you can turn it off! (Blood is fake in these btw)+ (if you let your kids watch the news there pretty much the same, Look I know that you’re probably thinking that you don't want your child playing this, but at the end of the day how many stories on the news do you hear about a kid that has played Grand Theft Auto 5 that just stole a car, went on a rampage, and killed a bunch of people... I mean honestly parents shouldn't go pointing fingers straight at video games, because it’s actually the parents fault for letting their child do these things because they were the ones who were supposed to teach their kids right from wrong. Thanks, FMAGEEK
Teen, 17 years old Written byisaacrocks10 November 8, 2013

really good game

dont just go away because this review is by a teen. this game is really good.i think it should be for 11 year olds. there is a fair bit of swearing in the campaign but u can turn the sound down. the only other thing that is bad about this game is the online. if you have a mic then you and random people can talk. there is probably going to be swearing online. but your kids probably her more swearing at middle school/high school. great maps . they are huge. a really good destruction environment. buildings crash to the ground. by far the best first person shooter yet. i think it will go farther then call of duty ghosts.
Parent Written byParentingisfun November 12, 2013

Battlefield 4

I think this is a good game with need for strategic thinking.
Kid, 12 years old November 8, 2013

Epic!!!!!!!!!!!

"Well they cuss the whole game and the game is violent" , well it's a war game.But the graphics are beautiful and the story is good. Just ignore all the cussing and blood and you'll love it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCaptain_SkyWolf November 12, 2013

Amaing game

first off i am 14 years old. i convinced my mom to get me Battlefield 3, and i tell you, it teaches kid and adults about the war of tomorrow. the multiplayer is AMAZING and is a must buy! the multiplayer uses teamwork, and strategical interactions. battlefield 4 puts you in the role of a soldier, positioned in china. the campaign is amazing and teaches you ALOT about war and violence. the Multiplayer is fun, exciting and heart pounding because enemies can come out from anywhere. in multiplayer you can use Levolution to help pin down your enemies and or kill them. overall Battlefield 4 is Amazing and teaches kids about the wars of tomorrow.