Stylish but super-gory shooter where you kill with abandon.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byfatherteacher December 25, 2009

ok

This gae is fine for mature 13-14 year olds to play. sure their is a little violence, but it isn't like these kids are now going to grow up and be mass terrorists when they grow up. hopefully this helps strict parents let their kids have a life and play vidio games.
Adult Written byGamerTears September 25, 2012

Violence, Guns, and Meaty Flesh Blood

A masterpiece of action, over-the-top violence, and original adult humor. It is the best adult game for multiplayer gun-looting on Xbox 360. Not for kids as it includes loads of blood, profanity, and sexual innuendos. It is not Call of Duty. the violence is more cartoonish, but Call of Duty doesn't have bandits screaming "I'll cut the flesh from your bones" or supporting characters that promote incest. For the strange parents who are okay with anything so long as it doesn't have nudity-it does not have nudity (just good old murder, revenge, offensive language, alcohol consumption, blood, and sexual humor.) If your innocent child person wants to kill bad guys with their friends get them Halo or Transformers Fall of Cybertron. Those games have similar cooperative modes and are free of incest and liquor induced cannibalism.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byPlayerdad December 28, 2009

Perfect for ages 12+

My son bought Borderlands the other day because all his friends had it. So while he was at school, i played it to see what it was about. Then i found that it is about 4 people who try to find gold and technolgy. I can't really find a fault in the game except that your child might play it alot but, hey thats normal.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byDaveRowe1974 March 12, 2015

Very violent and quite rude

I personally don't agree with the other parent reviews on this game , this game is way to graphic for 12 year olds .But my sixteen year old wanted this game for his birthday , so i decided to buy it to see what it was like. The game has alot of violence as blood often flies all over the place and heads can potentially explode.As the main review says , there is bad language , but it isnt really noticeable as they are spoken by enemies while you fight them and not in scenes where you would listen to the dialogue. I would draw the line at allowing sixteen year olds play this game , but as its not as bad as other games that are out there , it should be ok for a fourteen or fifteen year old .
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byLaura_M January 3, 2011

Great game fine for 12 and up!!!!!!!

In the beggining i didnt want to let my 12 year old son have this but i tried it with him and it wasnt bad mainly because it was cartoon violence and it has a good plot not a lot of cussing would not recommend for 10 and under or kids who get really scared because it can get scary at some parts.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bySerious parent January 23, 2011

perfect for tweens who love comic book games

it is a great game and is appropriate for all ages 13 or older
Parent of a 17 year old Written bySlimeKing July 27, 2010

Just fine for tweens and older

I believe this game is fine for ages 12 and older. The blood is hardly a problem and language isn't very bad and can be muted when necessary.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byFerrari_Fanatic July 8, 2010
Kid, 11 years old January 20, 2011
this game is the best but it is not for kids 9 and under
Adult Written byGameGuy84 December 8, 2009

Violent, but in a tongue-in-cheek, over-the-top, cartoonish, and silly way

I think the game is quite good, harking on many of the fun and rewarding game elements that I loved in the Diablo games back in the day, or that many people find in the World of Warcraft game, only with less online exposure. The game does have a bit of language, but nothing shocking or outrageous that a kid in their teens wouldn't face exposure to anywhere else. A curse here or there, nothing more. The violence, with decapitations, and body parts, and burning death screams, does sound quite gruesome on paper, but in practice, the caricature-ish manner in which the whole game, including the violence, is handled definitely reduces the impact. Even the human characters in the game are non-realistic enough to easily separate any tie to reality. I find Call of Duty to be much more suggestive in terms of violence. I wouldn't give this game to a kid under 10 or maybe 12, but any child in their teens, with enough supervision, should find a lot of safe enjoyment with Borderlands.
Adult Written byGamePlayer12 November 29, 2009
Borderlands a great FPS and RPG. Violence, OK the violence is a little rough. you can blow off bandits heads,cut mutated dogs with a machete. but its not something that will gross you out and not anything like Fallout 3. Language, There are are some F*** but not alot, the P**** word is really only used by Brick the huge one. and the are other words like D*** and S*** that are used throughout the game. nothing you dont hear on TV or at work/school. Really its a great game and not too bad for teens in my opinion.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bySpicytacodude October 30, 2009

I assume if your kid isn't stupid...

I think this should only be for teens that understand that this isn't real life, it's a game and if they kill virtual people and let out their anger and frustration on a game instead of a real person then that's fine by me.
Parent Written byParent155 March 16, 2012

12+ great game!

Its a good game and as long as your kids don't swear alot and they are mature a 12 year old can play it. Talk to them first though.
Parent Written byProtective Parent1 February 14, 2012

Great game for tweens!!

Wow common sense! i am shocked that this is "not for kids". The whole game is pretty much a big cartoon! if you let your kids watch the "Simpsons" and you dont let them play this, there is something seriously wrong with your judgement! My 11 year old son and i have shared many hours laughing and having fun with this game! Why any other parent wouldn't let there child play this is beyond me. This game is amazingly fun and i strongly recommend it!!!
Adult Written bywjbyman May 6, 2010

Borderlands is a borderline game.

Fun & games, no different then the Halo series.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJasonr March 16, 2011

Very Hard

I realy can't get intovthis game reveiw too much because I barely played it. I. Throughout the game I heard common swears, sex jokes, and ball jokes. The games violence is cartoonish but still gory as you blow off limbs and heads. The big promblem with this game is that bosses are nearly impossible. I got past the first one okay, but the second one was so hard, I spent hours intil I realized that this was wasting my time so I quit.
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byGamingMom51 November 17, 2013

Phenomenal game for teens and adults

I originally heard about this game from my son who said he had a lot of friends who were playing it and said it's fun. I picked it up to play for myself before allowing him to play it. The vast majority of the violence in this game is against non-human enemies and there is not a ton of blood. The only tiny problem is that there is some language that I wouldn't want my kids using. But it isn't as if they haven't heard this language before at school or just out in public. And just because they're hearing the language, doesn't mean that they're going to repeat it. Overall, it's a really fun game that is appropriate for teens and adults.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byLars Åberg September 2, 2014

Totally not for kids, but 12+!

I think all of the parents of a 12+ kid or 11+ should read this becus this will make you think in a whole other way! This game as very much shooting in it and i can understand why parents decline this game becus of this. But i think you shuold look this that the graphics of the game is like a comic book, my kid says that it's like your controling our own fantasy or your own comic book! this game is not so gory and voilolent as you think so let your beutiful kid get this becus he will cry and punch you as mine did!
Teen, 14 years old Written byXv MeRCiLeSs ii July 6, 2010

Perfect for teens as long as they have matured

This is a really good game I love all of the different people and missions you get to encounter while playing. The only thing that would turn it off to parents are that it is a lot of violence and that when something happens your character may say something inappropriate however these are not that bad. As long as you trust your child is mature this game would be fine.
Adult Written byPrimeSlayer July 15, 2015

An amazing game with comic-book visuals, though gratuitous amounts of blood and gore

Borderlands is a FPS game with RPG elements. The game features comic book type visuals, but has LOTS of blood and gore. Head shots usually result in a large geyser of blood and a stump where their head once was. The same applies with limbs, but occasionally the enemy will be blown in half, which is an incredibly bloody sight. This game has millions of guns. Literally. When an enemy is killed with an electric weapon, their eyes usually pop out and their head explodes. With fire, their skin turns black. With acidic weapons, they sort of melt away. The visuals, however, make the intense violence over the top and cartoony. Language is used infrequently, and it's mostly p-ssy, f--k, and sh-t. There is quite a bit of sexual humor throughout the game, but it's relatively PG-13. Overall, Borderlands is a great game, and quite frankly, one of my favorites of all time. I'd recommend it to anyone 16+.