Stylish but super-gory shooter where you kill with abandon.

Teen, 15 years old Written byFlamingwolf19 January 1, 2013

OK game! Know your child, some violence issues!

Borderlands is a great fun game that I really enjoy, but is very violent. You shoot aliens, animals and even human bandits. This probably worries parents most. What I think is, If your Child can handle violence it should be OK. Know their is blood and gore, and some disturbing images. I can say their is a reason for it to be M. Now If you know your child can hadle that think about swearing. Yes, their is a wide variety of swearing. Now if you have given it a thought, you should see the game first, right? So on youtube go to paulsoarsjr's channel and find his family friendly borderlands videos. Then if you approve the game should be OK. I would recommend it for a mature 13 year old. Good luck!
Parent Written byReviewer12345 July 11, 2012

Borderlands REAL REVIEW

Borderlands is one of the best games in Xbox360 history. Many people and parents think that this game is awful and rich in blood, gore, sex ,and language. now i will speak the truth, Borderlands may have a moderate amount of gore but it is in an extremely cartoony fashion. there is also a "Comic Book" style to it. As for the language in this game there is allot of confusion of words that "Bandits" say. For example: You gonna squeal before we cook you? Can be confused as :You gonna squeal before we f**k you? Besides that characters in the game say : Da*n and H*ll. The only time you will hear any sexual content in this game is with the DLC: Mad Moxxie's Underdome or the boss "9 Toes". With refrence to him having three balls. There is absolutely no sex of any kind in this game. in the end Call Of Duty games are far worse than Borderlands in every way.
Kid, 9 years old April 10, 2011

Fine for a older mature kid

I think that the game is perfect for kids 13+ and fine for mature 11+ kids, I do know there is a lot of gore as I have finished the game and almost finished the second playthrough, just don't get the zombie DLC with a lot of gore and it should be fine, the DLC should be for 16+ or mature 13+ teens. Also theres no F-bombs in this game but there is sh-t and pus-y, you see theres a confusion here, the bandits will some times say "Don't squeel when we cook you up!" that sounds like "Don't squeel when we fu-k you up!".
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2016

really good

It is basically a comic book but does get gory and sweary
Parent of a 12 year old Written byvideogamedad November 10, 2012

it a good game

It is ok for 12, they curse a few times but not really bad. There is not really any blood.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStriker101 March 5, 2011

Fine for 13 and up

Teen, 13 years old Written bydeez_nuts March 27, 2016
Teen, 13 years old Written byGingerGame May 9, 2014

Cartoon

This game is fine for mature kids a bit of swearing but nothing too bad stuff they will hear from friends in school plus the cartoon graphics should be fine for the gore pegi/esbrp are really of the mark with this one
Teen, 13 years old Written byRyan Beele June 5, 2010

Perfect for Tweens 12+

Borderlands has alot of violence in it but the blood looks kind've fake. the swearing is infrequent and not that bad it is pretty gory at times though. Borderlands is a fun game and i think its no worse than uncharted 2 or half-life 2 if you are 12 and up it should be okay.
Adult Written byTom_Gamer_Tom June 4, 2010

Violence made less realistic by animations.

Borderlands is a great role playing shooter game with lots of features, Much like Fallout 3. Violence is pretty high, There is lots of blood but a lot of this is taken away by the cartoon graphics. It looks more like an old comic. There are decapitations and you can set people on fire. The language is moderate for an 18. You have a few swears in cut scenes, I played for 4 hours and heard about 1 swear word. People are often put off by the extremely gory looking cover. A man pretending to commit suicide. It is a fact that no one commits suicide in this game or blowing his brains out. I think this is a pretty moderate game. But not for young kids or faint hearted people, It gets scary at occasions. Not for me of course.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byclatoiam November 7, 2009

Good game, not for smaller ones

This is a fantastic game. I've played it myself. It is phenominal. Its gameplay is perfect. But, there is some strong language, but thats about the only 'bad' thing. I myself am not too concerned about violence unless it is torture. this game features none of that. the gore is not very graphic in my opinion. I think any 12 year old or older should play it!
Adult Written byEvan L. March 22, 2017

Okay for 11 yrs and up

If your Kids can play Call Of Duty i reccomend this games .It is no deferent than Call Of Duty
Teen, 14 years old Written byBookerDeWitt123 September 3, 2016

Again, not nearly as bad as Common Sense Media says it is.

Another huge over-reaction brought to you by Common Sense Media! This game is not bad AT ALL!!! It sould have been Rated T. In this "Common Sense" Media review, the violence is over-reacted, and the launguage is over-reacted. Most parents would take one look at the cover art for this game and they say, No way am I ever buying this game for my kid. Honostly, the cover ary is the most violent thing about this game. In Borderlands, the violence is very comical, and launguage is mild and infrequent. I've played this game for 20+ hours and I only heard 1 F-bomb.
Kid, 12 years old August 3, 2016
this game should be played by children around 13 yrs of age in my opinion but although it is rated 18+ by ESRB lot's of kids around 12 have it and even some that are 10. it has a lot of violence but as far as i know no nudity. BUT it is in my opinion, a good game for mature 12 year old's because it is in reality a great game that should be played by anybody who want's a classic FPS (First Person Shooter).
Teen, 13 years old Written byDickboi97 June 20, 2016

This game is so good it gave me cancer when i read the reviews

Families you can talk about how commonsense media is a waste of time and money. My gramps loves me when i play its fun.
Kid, 12 years old May 24, 2016

Bloody brilliant

Brilliant fun sci fi game with lots of violence and swearing so definitely not for kids but is still a brilliant game to play with friends if you like making heads go pop.
Kid, 12 years old April 24, 2016

Good game, but the games with gold wasn't great

I got this game with games with gold in March 2016. I didn't download it straight away, so when I played co-op online everyone else outleveled me. Which wasn't great. Language isn't used much, violence is the blood when you kill someone. That's it.
Parent Written by15uckd1cks April 3, 2016

great

i would say this is quite good for kids theres a bit of gore but nothing to mortal kombat it's good for kids and thats about it
Teen, 13 years old Written byyoulouzer26 March 22, 2015

Fun shooter!

Very fun and not very inappropriate
Teen, 17 years old Written bySensiblepeople February 1, 2015

"Borderlands ups and downs."

A large quantity of violence and blood,with a tad of gore, Parents would normally think twice before letting their kids play "Borderlands". However,Its cartoonish style and humor makes it ok for mature kids. It comes close to the edge of indecency,but never crosses it. If you have more than one child,it also has co-op to prevent fighting between them. As long as they are indeed mature,its a great game.