Stylish but super-gory shooter where you kill with abandon.

Parent of a 11, 13, 14, and 16 year old Written byMaterDei June 11, 2011

One of my favorite games on the PS3

This is a very fun game to play and while it is extremely violent, the violence, like everything in this game is cartoonish. Sure, some of the death animations are over the top but I don't think they would be too disturbing for a teen. The language is actually not bad at all for a game rated Mature. The rating says strong language but I just don't recall very much foul language at all.
Kid, 11 years old April 30, 2011
Kid, 12 years old February 10, 2011

It's fun but really violent

i bought it for Mac and it's really really fun. It's really gory and people get blown apart and dismembered. There is a lot of stuff that isn't age appropriate, like references to parts of the male body and a DLC called Mad Moxxi's Underdome which is a somewhat inappropriate.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydrew812 December 24, 2010

If they are a teenager let them have the game.

This is a great game. There is plenty of blood and gore but for kids 13 and up I think it will be fine. Also, if your kid starts cursing after you get him/her the game you should confiscate the game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byitsaboks December 19, 2010

to SSMidnight:

Hello SSMidnight: Violence is over the top, but similar to other games, with occasional decapitations. Blood and gore is prevalent particularly when driving. It is an open-world shooter/RPG, so i cannot tell you exactly how many f-bombs are in the game, though there aren't many. Some of the humor is fairly adult, such as the moment when they introduce "Nine-toes" they say he has three balls, and he has a "safety first" sign on his crotch. All in all, the violence would be about 9/10, blood and gore is 8.5/10, language is about 7/10, and mature humor is 7.5/10. Graphics are comparable to a graphic novel. Blood and gore is more than, say, "Castle Crashers", but less than "Fallout 3" or "New Vegas".
Teen, 16 years old Written byhitokiri3 October 21, 2010

Bloody romp through the wasteland is actually kind of fun

It's violent; wether the art style tempers the effect I'm not sure. It goes over the top to the point of being comical and thats part of the point, but because of that not too many kids under 15 should play it. Also, most of the characters are flawed in some way (insane, manipulative, greedy) but once again, its to comical affect.
Teen, 15 years old Written byshadow recon August 27, 2010

perfect for teenagers not for kids under 13

very good violent,just make them work for it and tell them if they hear that language come out of them and ame is going to be sold!
Kid, 11 years old August 18, 2010
hey can someone tell me how bad on a scale 1-10 how bad the violence, blood, gore, language, and mature humor is and what it is. thanks!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bywhomadewho20 August 15, 2010
Best game iv'e ever played!
Teen, 17 years old Written bymist13 June 28, 2010

Gorey, yet awsome.

The game is fun, but very gory.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMagilla4950 June 19, 2010

Cursing and a little sexual reference is the worst you will find

AWESOME GAME There is some parts that are inappropriate but i think teens can handle it. On my bus this game is rated T.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAndroid Rooster June 15, 2010
This, first of all is a fun game. I play it, and I'm 14. It is a very gorey game, but, only if you shoot the enemy in the head. Limbs fly often the more you get into the game, but if you've ever watched the simpsons, it's similar to that, but with gore. The language is frequent, but not shocking, there's a line were one of the enemy sound like they drop the F-Bomb, but the're really saying 'Cook' The playable character, the siren, wears a low cut shirt, and tight clothes, but if you don't play online, or with friends, you usually don't see it. I gave it educational, because in the multiplayer mode, it requires a lot of teamwork. Over-all, a great, iffy game.
Teen, 16 years old Written byreviewer117 June 8, 2010
I know a lot of people love this game, but to be honest I just don't like that much. I mean it's alright game and everything, but I would definitely rent it before buying to see if you like the feel. I really like the concept of Borderlands; I just never really got into it. I'm giving it an on for fifteen and older because I figure most kids that age can handle the violence(which at times can be violent and graphic) and also probably have heard the language, which consists of mature humor, dirty jokes, and swear words; before and know not to use them. Altogether it's an alright game with some fairly strong violence and some vulgar language.
Adult Written byTom_Gamer_Tom June 4, 2010

Violence made less realistic by animations.

Borderlands is a great role playing shooter game with lots of features, Much like Fallout 3. Violence is pretty high, There is lots of blood but a lot of this is taken away by the cartoon graphics. It looks more like an old comic. There are decapitations and you can set people on fire. The language is moderate for an 18. You have a few swears in cut scenes, I played for 4 hours and heard about 1 swear word. People are often put off by the extremely gory looking cover. A man pretending to commit suicide. It is a fact that no one commits suicide in this game or blowing his brains out. I think this is a pretty moderate game. But not for young kids or faint hearted people, It gets scary at occasions. Not for me of course.
Adult Written bythink-about-it June 1, 2010
I think that you should decide what the kids will be playing on and decide if this game is suitable. I personally think that no twelve year old will be disturbed by this as the violence is not realistic but in the end its your decision
Teen, 14 years old Written bysleepingmonkey2000 May 29, 2010
Parent of a 12 year old Written byDad123 April 20, 2010

Good for ages 12+

This game is acceptable for ages 12+. The violence is very fake and the swears are not worse than what they would hear at school.
Adult Written byHandyman34 April 17, 2010

Definately Not For Young Kids, but It's Okay For Teenagers

Fans of The "BioShocks" will definately fall in love with this game. It was published by 2K Games, who also published BioShock and BioShock 2. In this game, strong language is used quite a bit. Violence isn't too bad because the graphics represent a comic book. Heads and limbs come off, but it looks too fake to disturb anyone.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGame Crazy February 21, 2010

Good for teens, not for tweens.

Borderlands is a great game, but violent. Limbs fly off and there is a lot of curse words. But the cartoonish look makes it all kind of funny, and not as bad as it would be if it were realistic.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCrimsongamer February 9, 2010

If your tweens are mature enough.. then do it.

Borderlands is a masterpiece. But it's not for anyone under 11. This game allows you to shoot, collect, reload, explore, etc. It's a lot of fun. First, let's start with the violence. It's iffy. There are some rough moments, where unrealistic(and usually minor)blood will drop from the enemies and there will be headshots. There's not much else. If your tween is familiar with games like Modern Warfare 2, then this won't be a problem. The characters aren't the greatest role models, but they're certainly not the worst. They risk their lives for an adventure(or just to shoot) and do whatever it takes. But, in the progress, most players will become sidetracked from their ultimate goal of completing the game by collecting guns, ammo, and money scattered around the town. There are over a million guns to find and they all have their special abilities and powers. This game became famous for that. However, the messages aren't always positive. For one thing, you can kill anything you want. It's a little.. how you say, over-the-top at times once you think about it. But if you compare it to Grand Theft Auto, it's nothing. There's also some mediocre crude humor here and there, but if your tween is very mature, then it's alright. Pandora is lively and you'll love talking to people, roaming around, and shooting anything that gets in your way. The language isn't heavy, but you can't help but wish that your tween won't get in trouble at school. There are very little F-Bombs, the words they use the most are "D*mn" and "S**t". You can level up as you progress, and that means you'll get stronger, and the enemies will get more violent. There's even something that when you run out of health, you have the chance to respawn at a checkpoint or shoot down an enemy to revive yourself at that area. Some parents might think it's a little scary, but it's actually IMPORTANT for your character. The game is an overall great adventure for both adults and tweens, but only if your tween is familiar with shooters, and is mature enough. If not, you might want your tween to rethink everything and give it a wait. But, if they do meet the expectations, this is a blast for them to try out.