All member reviews for Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Emotional puzzler has great role models, some dark moments.

Learning(i)

Teen, 14 years old Written byIronRunningAnvil August 30, 2013

Sad game with dark twists creating some average gameplay

Ok so to start this game is not for young kids. It can get pretty gory at some points and also pretty scary and dark, not trying to give anything away. The game sets the silent story of two brothers on a journey trying to save their dying father. This already sets a dark tone to the game. When you start everything is bright and cheerful until as you progress through the game things become darker and ultimately freakier. You end up seeing many dead bodies although you do save some people. The two brothers never actually kill anyone or fight anyone apart from one boss that looks like a spider near the end. The game itself is rather short as it only provides around 4 hours of gameplay. There are some more gory scenes in the game as you discover a giants battlefield where there are many giants bodies everywhere. If you rush through this level though you will find the rest of the game is more mellow. Overall then violence 3/10, scariness 6/10, sadness 7/10, goriness 5/10, replay ability 5/10, length 4/10, mature content 5/10, rudeness 0/10. I would not recommend this game to anyone under the age of 14 as it would be to intense for them but apart from that it is a reasonably enjoyable game with many thrilling puzzles and in depth story line gameplay. This game is an odd and disorientating (you'll see what I mean if you get it) game that leaves with a sad feeling at the end and a need to know more. Hope this review helped
Parent Written byAki-Matti January 20, 2014

Join the brothers on a worthy cause

This seems like a game that encompasses much of what childhood adventures outside with friends are about. Exhilaration, excitement and friendship. The two brothers in this game offer great role models in how they support each other through many exciting scenarios that don't really involve violence but overcoming obstacles in the environment. Also, this game handles feelings very well. Even in the beginning when it is shown why the little brother is afraid of water it creates a strong connection with the characters and their behavior. All along the way, you will feel emotions of support, sorrow and excitement just to name a few as you walk this adventure with the brothers. A word of warning, though. You should play this with your child instead of letting him play it by himself, otherwise he/she might not be able to handle all the situations and feelings the game will raise. There is especially a scene where a lot of blood and bodies can be seen and while the game was otherwise alright to play while my kids (7 and 5 years old) were watching, this was a scene I didn't let them watch from the side.
Parent Written bystefanlindskog September 29, 2013

Uniquely compelling

Not many games manage to tell a story as convincing as Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. The main characters set out on a fantastic journey to save their father, who has fallen ill. During the short three to four hours it takes to play through the player bonds with the brothers and their dire situation, while experiencing breathtaking vistas, heartwarming scenes, and some really dark material at points. I played through the game myself before deciding to sit through it while my seven year old son did. I helped him undertand the dark parts and was pleased to see that he understood and accepted - and even appreciated the deeper meaning of the game. He went through feelings like pride, joy, sadness, wonder and quite some thrill. At the end he cried because of the dark beauty of the ending - and we talked in length about why not all stories can end as well as we would have liked. It's been two days now since he played it, and he says it's his all time favorite game. To me that's worth gold. Brothers contain almost no violence and absolutely no glorification of violence. The brothers go through their ordeal by solving puzzles and move over, through or around obstacles in ther way. There are some horrific scenes that will put many parents off involving a man trying to hang himself because he's lost his family in a fire, and later a field of dead giants bleeding up a river. But in my opinion it's justified by the way it's presented. It's honest and without pretention. It's like old fairytales. It has its obligatory darkness, making the story more involving. I'll gladly accept that I might be in the wrong for letting my son play it at his age. My justification is that the beauty of the overall story, and the way that the story is told as a non-violent videogame, makes it acceptable. If your child is emotionally mature, and you're willing to take the journey with him/her - do it. If your child is twelve or older - let them experience the game on their own. The end is so strong and emotionally engaging that they'll try to tell you about it for hours, while feeling the value of family ties for much much longer.
Teen, 14 years old Written byYolyx March 5, 2015

LEARNING

Nice game, but does not deserve a 16+...

I think this game is really good. It learns you about friendship and love. Even if its only 3 hours of gameplay its worth the money. I saw it had 16+ on PEGI, but it should have been a 12+.