All member reviews for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Top-notch war sim, but T-rated series is now "M."

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Adult Written bynnick December 31, 2010

first off, if your kid plays halo and stuff, you should let your kid play this. blood only stains on headshots which almost never happen, launguage isn't bad at all. the ESRB made this game sound over the top but it was only because it was call of duty's first M game. really if you ask me (and many others) halo in parts are worse than this. if you are not letting your child get this game because of the ratings, watch the game please and base your decesion off that. by the way there is no limb loss, decapition and no gore, gore is in halo 3, with the dead soilders in the second mission. blood is on them. but let your kid get this game. i can't believe it got rated M. probably because of the more realistic graphics make it seem more life like. and the better graphics in war games make the rating go up. thanks for reading this. :)
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bythunder1 June 4, 2009

Ok for 11 and up.

This is no worse than normal tv shoes families whatch like csi. There really is no "gore" just little puffs of blood. The "torture" is more just someone looks like there gonna die and you dont see anything. Not really the worse m game. I'd rate it in the lover kid age of mature. Parents should know the don't use to much language other than the d*** h*** and crap. This is good though for kids 11 and up. Parents dont worry.
Teen, 17 years old Written byXxtokyoboyxX November 8, 2010

good for tweens and up

I think this game is a game that can educate a child about "modern warfare" and it sends two messages. That if you get too gungho and join the army, you can be easily killed at any time, but it also shows that if you do join the army, it is unlikely, but you can become a national hero.
Adult Written byKennyg1211 November 11, 2008

No.....just no.....

If you take the time to play it there are terrorists that you kill and everyone online knows that it's way better to play as the British or Americans. And on top of that no one can really get there hads on these guns so it's just a fun game to play with friends.
Adult Written byseen-all-movies January 1, 2011

Turn of blood, and its good entertainment if mature and past age 12

I've played COD 4 for quite a while, and even now, whit the release of Black ops, it's still entertaining and a good way to keep the younger kids satisfied. this game is less violent and realistic than Modern warfare 2 and black ops, and is therefor a good game for people not quit old enough to play the newest games in the COD franchises. Sure this game contains violence, but PEGI rated it 16, witch is a little different from the commonsense media rating. i believe that mature kids can already at the age of 11 to 13 start to play and enjoy this game, some might argue about this due to the content of in game blood, but in the options menu, you can both in single player and multiplayer turn of the blood effect, witch pretty much removes all reasons for age limit, if blood is turned of the game gets a very different feel to it, and is unlikely to frighten kids if they are mature and past age 11, if blood is on I suggest age limit 13 to 14 depending on maturity. this game is certainly no worse than the average action thriller like James Bond, so why give it any higher age limit?
Adult Written bygamezrul3 February 23, 2009

Definatly not as bad as everyone says it is

Ok i am a mom with two kids. One is 12 and the other is 4. I would not recomend this game for anyone under 11 but any 11+ kid would know that NONE of the game is real. The game is based in the Future not in the current time period. The game only shows close to modern day soilders in a made up place (have to admit does resemble the middle east) As i said and 11+ kid would know. About the language, there is a little bit of profanity but nothing major. Its not like something they dont hear their dads walking around mumbling. Anyways if your kids know not to say the curses then what have you got to worry about? Anyways you can choose the curses that the characters are aloud to say. There is a little bit of blood but only the small red cloud thay goes away in five seconds that you see in almost all video games and movies nowadays. Of course there is violence , its a war game but definatly not all everyone says it is.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCharlie Sw January 21, 2013

THE TRUTH

I bet more than half the reviews are just kids who want to convince their parents to get this game. It Is extremely violent, very crude language and someone is taking drugs in almost every cutscene. Other than that, it's a good game.
Parent Written byCod_GOD22 January 27, 2012

BEST IN SERIES!!!!

This was a very good Call of Duty game and is still an up-to-date fps shooter.Most appropriate out of the Modern Warfare Series!
Teen, 16 years old Written byjfreighgiuhg March 22, 2011

Best Game EVER!!!!

How is not saving the world from terrorists good? Also, war is justified if it's morally correct. It worth to risk yourself to save others. So because a game is realistic, it's bad? This game should be praised for its graphics, story, and gameplay. I support things that like to push the boundaries. Lets not become conformist and be individuals.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byjacob smith July 26, 2010

is it ok for tweens

this game is very good it has more blood than modern war fare 2 and it has the enemy's arm fly off the game has chunks of heads coming off but the head still looks clean and you can not see the chunks on the ground the game is as good as modern war fare 2 if not worse but it is a very good game,there is no f words but there is s words and d words and there is a guy on the forth level when the guy shoots 1 guy a puddle about 2 feet surrounding him coming out and it looks more real then mod 2
Kid, 11 years old February 24, 2010

Perfect for tweens it has no f bombs what so ever and violence just a bit of blood not bad at all good for 11+

Parents dont listen to common sense sometimes no kids cmon it doesen't matter about it being rated m for mature if your kid is mature enough to get it let him get it you dont have to wait till hes 17.
Adult Written bycrazyninjajake December 10, 2009

This game is very fun and actually doesn't have as much violence as a lot of people say.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bybla30 October 23, 2009

it's fine for tweens and up. there's no graphic violence and no f-bombs
Teen, 16 years old Written byDOCCON August 9, 2009

All-time favorite game

This game is an incredible, easy-to-play game with amazing multiplayer and graphics along with a memorable, albeit a little short, story. The story involves 4 main terrorists called "The 4 Horsemen of the Apocolypse". They want to divert US and British troops to the Middle East while they attempt to return Russia to a communist state. There are some very memorable moments, such as gunning from an AC-150 gunship and escaping off of a sinking boat. One in particular at the end of the mission "shock and awe" is something you won't expect and you will easily remember for awhile. I played this game 2 years ago and a lot of the big moments in the game are still fresh in my mind. The game has become more violent. When you shoot somebody and they are next to a wall, expect some blood to splatter and stick to the wall. There is no gore, but the incredible realism the game offers can make the violence seem a bit rougher. The multiplayer is the true meat of this game. As you get kills, finish matches, and complete challenges like getting 50 kills with a weapon or falling from a high place and surviving, you gain exp. Once you earn enough exp, you level up and are given more weapons and new perks. Perks are advantages such as more accuracy when firing from the hip, holding your breathe longer when sniping, or dropping a live grenade upon dying. You can hold three at once and they can be used in a variety of ways to give your character a certain role on the battlefield. While you can choose between 5 classes, you can create your own with unlocked weapons and perks. There are a ton of weapons and most of them handle differently, but certain pistols and sniper rifles feel a lot alike. Also, as you get kills and headshots with weapons they upgrade, allowing you to attach new scopes, silencers, paint jobs, and more to your weapons. Once you reach the maximum level, you can start over and re-earn everything in prestige mode. It may feel odd giving up everything you've earned to start back at level one, but it gives the exp system longer legs and gives you bragging rights. Also, if you get certain kill streaks (3, 5, and 7), you get more advantages, such as seeing the enemy on radar, calling in airstrikes, or sending a helicopter to do your bidding, respectivly. The multiplayer maps are very well done for the most part, but all of them (except shipment) are found in the single player campaign. I don't know why this is a problem, but some people don't seem to like it. Also, there are no rideable vehicles, so if hopping in them in Halo of Battlefield is your favorite part of said games, you may not like it. The graphics here are amazing. All of the guns, equipment, vehicles, and buildings look nearly photo-realistic with incredibly tiny details present. Textures look like they actually have texture. If you look for the little things, you will be even more amazed. The game's presentation is incredible. Overall, it is hard to say anything bad about this game. It's incredibly balanced, has some of the best multiplayer ever, and is highly memorable. It's been out for 2 years and it's still $55 used at certain retailers, which is saying something. It feels a lot like other call of dutys, so if you like them you will love this. If you're looking for a great shooter and still haven't picked this one up, do yourself a favor. You won't be disappointed.
Adult Written byKT427 April 10, 2009

Best in series.

Finally. Out of WWII and into the present. With awesome weapons and gadgets, warfare will never be the same. This T-rated series steps up to M-rated, and more blood can be seen (especially if you stand by a wall and get shot. you'll see what I mean), some strong warfare language, and standard violence. GET THIS GAME. NOW.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAngryKid February 25, 2009

Single Most Perfect Game in the World

Look parents, I'm 15 years old. I've pretty much played every M rated game that has been attacked by people like Jack Thompson. I'm perfectly normal. I've never killed anyone, I've never been sent to jail, I've never even had detention for Christ's sake! Look, Call of Duty 4 (henceforth CoD 4) is a phenomenal game. The graphics leave absolutely nothing to be desired. The gameplay is the most intuitive (online that is) that I have ever played. The only real thing that I had to complain about was the multiplayer. Even what I could complain about was very miniscule. The A.I. is pretty much as dumb as bricks and the only reason anyone is going to die on Veteran is because you pretty much get hit by five bullets and insta-die. All in all, EXCELLENT game, and I do stress the excellent. People, you can tell if your kids are going to be grossly affected by video games. But to say that every major instance involving "teen violence" was brought on by video games is ridiculous. In today's day and age, playing video games is pretty much as popular as watching movies. It's called guilt by association. Video games don't kill people. People who can't differentiate between reality and fiction do. Step off video game critics.
Kid, 12 years old February 19, 2009

This game is awesome

I got this game for the pc and I had to upgrade once I did that I could really expirence the awesome graphics and the sound and the gameplay was really awesome but I had to bug my dad for weeks to get the game but eventually I did get it and I did not regret spendind 50 bucks
Adult Written byqwerty123 February 15, 2009

Commonsense overplays the blood and gore

In my opinion CoD4 is the best of the series. Yes, there is blood on a minor scale (when you shoot someone you might be able to see a small amount of blood) but nothing anyone 13+ couldn't handle. There is an execution scene that is made a big deal of on commonsense, first off its in 1st person so you don't actually see the execution, there's no blood just 'your' eyes close and the cut scene ends. I agree that it's meant to play more on your emotions, however if you or your child is sensitive then simply leave the room or look the other direction during the cutscenes. Besides that BRILLIANT GAME! must have for
Adult Written byManic Bulldog February 15, 2009

In war... the first victim is innocence!

This is an AWSOME first person shooter. A MUST HAVE for ANY GAMER! This game is war based, obviously, and is steeped in violance... but nothing extreme... the worst is blood splatter left on the walls and a mans arm being removed by your mile long, 50 Cal. shot.... And the multiplayer is amazing. I would recommend this game for any gamer interested in combat games.
Parent of a 6 and 12 year old Written byback2schoolboo April 9, 2008