All member reviews for Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Extremely violent military shooter with profanity, drugs.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Parent Written byCuties195 December 11, 2012

CSM isn't telling you everything (like usual)

I have an 11 year old son who is restricted from playing M rated games. When my son asked for this for his upcoming 12th birthday, I said no, and he said, "But everyone else plays it. You can turn of the Gore and language!". So I came here and saw that CSM rated Black Ops 2 NOT FOR KIDS, but then I saw the other parents who said they didn't agree with CSM. So I did my reasearch, and saw that you CAN turn off the Gore and language. A little unsure, I bought the game and gave it to my son. We let him play it, but we had to watch to see if our son could play it. To be completely honest, with Gore and langauge off, it could easily be rated T. So for all you mothers who have your pre-teens or teenagers asking you for this game, buy it! It's perfectly fine!
Parent Written byjohn316 November 19, 2012

awesome game

most games have no way to filter content, but this one has that and gets rid of all language.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySealith November 19, 2012

An Experienced Revier

Now before anyone runs away from this review because it's coming from a teenager, I must remind everyone that I have one of the highest (and the most detailed) review on this game's predecessor "Modern Warfare 3". The votes on it are: "Helped me decide (52) | Had useful details (51) | Read my mind (43)". So now that's out of the way, I'll begin. TreyArch has a reputation in the Call of Duty franchise for making amazing games and threatens to outdo Infinity Ward's original dominance of the series. This is their third installment in the franchise including "World at War" (Call of Duty 5) and "Black Ops (One)" (Call of Duty 7). TreyArch is also known for following their customer's very closely and giving the, what they want. They hit the nail on the head when it came to this installment. Not only did they reconstruct the multiplayer to give it a new feel that old fans have been waiting for since the 4th installment, they also created a great campaign, something Call of Duty is not known for, and a greatly entertaining zombie section of the game. When it comes to the campaign though, TreyArch also has a history of creating the most brutal ones. I get the bad part out first. The Black Ops II campaign is like any other TreyArch one. Ridiculously brutal. When reviewing Modern Warfare 3, I mentioned that it belongs in the lower section of the M rating, saying it barely met the requirements for it. Black Ops II on the other hand fits into the M rating quite comfortable. I'm not saying it's inching towards the AO (Adults Only) range at all, but it is definitely where it belongs. Not only is the violence and profanity rather high, but the emotion and choices that TreyArch put in (and forces you to make) can add onto the intensity. But like I said earlier, this is the bad part. TreyArch also understands its "less-than-bloodthirsty" crowd is part of its sales, so they added a way to turn off the gore and profanity. One settings switch and your suddenly very close to having yourself a T-rated game. Players will still have to witness civilian deaths (as they happen, while in Modern Warfare 3 98% of civilian deaths were off screen). You do get to kill these murders shortly after the firing begins though. All in all keep in mind that the Black Ops II can be toned down, but is still barely worthy of that M-rating. When it comes to multiplayer, Call of Duty is nothing short of famous (at least to the gamer world). After eight years of perfecting its technique, the series has been able to go under yet another transformation that makes it the game it is today. TreyArch listened to consumers and created a game based mostly on their complaints about previous games. The multiplayer in Black Ops II is nothing short of awesome (again), although it still has some issues that no programmer can rid of yet. This is the rather illiterate (and young) community that has revolved around this series. The result is little twelve year olds cussing each other out. Don't worry though. In game and post/pre game settings allows you to mute anyone you're playing with. The main child anyone should be facing is the shear amount of pros that will be on this game that could easily rip them apart in any game mode. TreyArch saves us again however with combat training, which lets you play easier (and progressively harder bots if you wish) in multiplayer simulated matches with real objectives. The newly installed league play also groups newbies with newbies and pros with pros, ensuring fair and exciting play every game. Now onto the last aspect of Black Ops II that no one could have expected four years ago. The zombies mode was introduced into World at War as a little bonus for beating the game. The response to the game mode was so powerful and positive that Black Ops (One) expanded on the mode and Black Ops II has now made it a full blown new game mode with dozens of additions that I couldn't possibly name. When it comes to the part parents are concerned about, you are killing any people in this game, but you kill zombies that look like people...sort of. The main issue is that blood is rampant throughout the game (your killing hundreds and even thousands of infected zombies with unbelievable firepower). While this could be a great team building game for friends (its now up to 8 players), online play proposes the same problems as multiplayer. Just mute those people if needed. The zombies mode is purely for entertainment, and I must say, it is EXTREMELY entertaining. What people should know is that TreyArch know how to sell to a wide audience. They know parents won't buy games that are super violent, so they gave options to tone it waaaay down, and nearly every disturbing instance can be covered. The only reality of the game that you can't change is that it's people shooting other people (although that's not even true either in zombies.) Another note is that I didn't mark drugs since the amount of drug use seen in this game is seen in every day life. Thanks for reading!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpencin8r November 15, 2012

Black Ops 2

This game may not be the most educational,least violent,or even least scary game out there but parents shouldn't give up on it quite yet. First off, all gore can be turned off, secondly I honestly think the gore can be left on for someone 12 and older. It teaches kids the brutality of war and can be a real wake up call. Plus it has a great campaign, totally unrealistic zombie gore, and multiplayer where you can connect with friends and people across the globe. Definitely great for someone 12 and up!
Parent Written byTaCTiCaLxReFLeX November 17, 2012

Quick, and to the point

language can be turned off along with blood....I dont even know why this game is rated for sexual themes, there is really nothing, all there is are a few girls dressed mildly suggestively.....i could see worse by just visiting the local mall. the game is fine for kids 12 an up
Teen, 15 years old Written bygoogle321 January 8, 2013

Black ops 2

Black ops 2 is a fantastic game. It's is set in 2025 and in some levels you'll flash back into the shoes of Alex Mason (from the first game). Common Sense media has failed to inform you that you can turn off all blood and gore and the worst of the inappropriate language. The game online can drastically change by how much fun you have for instance some people may swear online or you may die repeatedly but the swearing can be stopped by muting that player if you don't like playing with random people online you can set up a private match or just play split screen with someone at home. Zombie mode is only slightly bad even with the blood turned off you will face zombie hordes with blood on their faces scratches and gashes all over them and the mode also supports horror themes.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCato Hadley November 14, 2012

Black OPS

It is a war game, it is intertaining can keep you busy for hours! I rate you play it only if you like war games and to watch blood splatter out of Zombies!
Teen, 17 years old Written byguitarmaster13 December 8, 2012

Not That Bad

right it Call Of Duty so it is going to be violent but the swearing and Blood can be turned of when you start so its no different to battlefield i'm 12 and after renting this from blockbuster my Dad let me buy it I am not an only child and I have a 7 year old brother so this was a big aspect of why i wasn't allowed cod but when i got it my brother didn't have a problem with it and found it fun watching me play zombies. thanks for reading this.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bylittlereviewer12345 June 30, 2013

My son aged 10 loves it!

My son, aged 10, loves it! But I got it for him on one condition.........He spends a certain amount of time on it and only at weekends, he is happy with that, it is based around a war in the future. My son also enjoys playing online with friends, check online servers before letting your child play on them though. It has taught my son about the war and how horrible it is. I would say for 10 & up.
Parent of a 1 year old Written byESRB_IS_OVERATED February 2, 2013

YOU CAN TURN OFF BLOOD AND GORE AND ALL OTHER DISTURBING CONTENT

Ok so esrb says blood gore and arms flying off but here is the thing at the beginning of the game it says do you want to see disturbing content say no and all bloods gone in zombies,multiplayer,and campaign. Also is blurs out violent cutscenes and most the time serious foul words are replaced with different words. In my opinion totally ok for Tweens but 9 and ten is cutting it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byIlovemychildren12345 December 19, 2012

LEARNING

A great game for your child 13 or older!!

It is a great game for kids the age of thirteen I just bought it for my son and he has been more obedient has listened better and has even improved his grades. You can also turn off the blood and gore and language. The only thing you should avoid is the campaign it is to violent unless your at least 14
Parent Written byCaringparent1234 December 2, 2012

Black ops 2 good for kids?

It can be bad at some times but its mostly just the campaign you should watch out for.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byzmanrox February 10, 2013

FILTERED

wow commonsense media, tell them about the filter. it turns off the blood & language. honestly, the blood isnt even that bad( unless using sword). it also sensors out ALL cuss words. furthermore, if ur kid plays multi player more than single player it becomes on for kids 9 & up. also it teaches u that war is very bad, and one mission( in single player campaign) is about noreaga. on for kids 12 and up.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byThe Master0404 November 26, 2012

Black Ops= Good for learning

Teaches Mature Teens about the ruth of war.
Parent Written byMrhotshot January 27, 2013

EPIC

violence is not an issue because it can easily be turned off in the pause menu and the swearing you hear is like nothing like what you here in secondary school. if you are a parent reading this and your son/daughter is begging you for this game and you are saying "no" go up to them now and say "yes". its just like any old game.
Parent Written bymikai999 January 13, 2013

for 11 year olds

its cool and doesent have any sexual content.its more violent assassins creed.you can turn off the cussing.but on line people can say what ever they want.but you dont have to talk omline you can just talk with friends .you can turn off the blood
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTracey1945 December 12, 2012

Not as violent as Common Sense says it is.

Chances are, whenever a new Call of Duty video game comes out, your child is going to beg for it. Even though Common Sense says that it is Not For Kids, this is one of the games that warrants an exception. Your child most likely wants this game for it's online multiplayer. I have watched my son play, and have played a little myself, and I can say that this is nothing worse than what children are exposed to by the media or at school. If your child has XBOX live or a playstation online account, you should get the game for them. If they don't have one, I don't think you should buy it. The campaign itself, which I don't think my son has played before is rather violent, but the gore can be turned off in the options menu. There is also a zombies mode, but the gore can be turned down on that as well.
Parent Written byTH3 FAMIL3Y D@D August 30, 2013

the truth about Call of Duty: Black ops II

hello other moms / dads if you boy/ girl is asking to get this game well in this game you can turn off graphic content in the settings and that will turn off all gore,violent cutscenes,and all the bad words are replaced with new ok ones. if you turn off graphic content in the settings it appropriate
Parent Written bymegastaraxe January 20, 2013

Here is the real review

Every time you shoot someone blood flys out of there body there are some graphic scenes like when menendaz stabs a solider in the neck with a glass shard when you shove a blade halfway threw someone's throat and also when you see someone burn alive if your kids have played past call of duty games then they can play this one there is very strong language from f--k to c--ksucker but if your kids have played other m games its nothing they haven't heard before and zombies mode is more scary than gory
Teen, 16 years old Written bysarcasticpeanutoil November 23, 2012

go to options

set graphic content to reduced. now everything the reviewer wqrned ypu about is gone!