All member reviews for Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Extremely violent military shooter with profanity, drugs.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Adult Written bychartedfan312 November 14, 2012

The Whole Story

As usual Common Sense Media is only telling you half of the story. Just as in the original Black ops, you have the choice when you start the game to disable the graphic content. I have played about 2 or 3 hours of the campaign (on the PS3) and have not heard a single cuss word. The graphic content reducer is not only censoring the worst words but all of the cuss words. However it does do this a lot which tells you that if you were playing the normal way the language would be very bad. The graphic content reducer also greatly reduces the blood and violence. There are certain parts of the game where the screen actually goes black in order to hide the violence. I have played both off and online and have yet to hear a cuss word. Now, of cource, if you don't mute the other online players then you are likely to hear some cursing, but muting them is easier than ever. Just go over to the list of players and press the square button and select MUTE ALL EXCEPT FOR PARTY (You may have to be over your own name to do this. I'm not sure.). I haven't played the zombie part of the game yet but I expect that it will be censored in the same way as the campaign. Also, I should note that I haven't played enough of the game to know what the suggestive themes are about, but Uncharted 2 had the same 3 dot rating for sex and it wasn't very bad (the kind of sutff you see on basic tv.) However I may write another review after I have played more of the game. Oh yeah, and by the way, I really love the game so far.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpencin8r November 15, 2012

Black Ops 2

This game may not be the most educational,least violent,or even least scary game out there but parents shouldn't give up on it quite yet. First off, all gore can be turned off, secondly I honestly think the gore can be left on for someone 12 and older. It teaches kids the brutality of war and can be a real wake up call. Plus it has a great campaign, totally unrealistic zombie gore, and multiplayer where you can connect with friends and people across the globe. Definitely great for someone 12 and up!
Teen, 16 years old Written byCato Hadley November 14, 2012

Black OPS

It is a war game, it is intertaining can keep you busy for hours! I rate you play it only if you like war games and to watch blood splatter out of Zombies!
Parent Written byjohn316 November 19, 2012

awesome game

most games have no way to filter content, but this one has that and gets rid of all language.
Parent Written byTaCTiCaLxReFLeX November 17, 2012

Quick, and to the point

language can be turned off along with blood....I dont even know why this game is rated for sexual themes, there is really nothing, all there is are a few girls dressed mildly suggestively.....i could see worse by just visiting the local mall. the game is fine for kids 12 an up
Teen, 13 years old Written byInfoYouWant November 14, 2012

Like all the other First Person Shooters...

It's no more violent than all the other First Person Shooters that some kids play. I've seen footage of Black Ops II, and it honestly isn't any worse than all the others. I don't see what there is to be concerned about other than you can talk to people using your mic, (if you have one). Honestly, Common Sense Media really does exaggerate when it comes to video games. This game is fine for kids 14+
Teen, 16 years old Written bySealith November 19, 2012

An Experienced Revier

Now before anyone runs away from this review because it's coming from a teenager, I must remind everyone that I have one of the highest (and the most detailed) review on this game's predecessor "Modern Warfare 3". The votes on it are: "Helped me decide (52) | Had useful details (51) | Read my mind (43)". So now that's out of the way, I'll begin. TreyArch has a reputation in the Call of Duty franchise for making amazing games and threatens to outdo Infinity Ward's original dominance of the series. This is their third installment in the franchise including "World at War" (Call of Duty 5) and "Black Ops (One)" (Call of Duty 7). TreyArch is also known for following their customer's very closely and giving the, what they want. They hit the nail on the head when it came to this installment. Not only did they reconstruct the multiplayer to give it a new feel that old fans have been waiting for since the 4th installment, they also created a great campaign, something Call of Duty is not known for, and a greatly entertaining zombie section of the game. When it comes to the campaign though, TreyArch also has a history of creating the most brutal ones. I get the bad part out first. The Black Ops II campaign is like any other TreyArch one. Ridiculously brutal. When reviewing Modern Warfare 3, I mentioned that it belongs in the lower section of the M rating, saying it barely met the requirements for it. Black Ops II on the other hand fits into the M rating quite comfortable. I'm not saying it's inching towards the AO (Adults Only) range at all, but it is definitely where it belongs. Not only is the violence and profanity rather high, but the emotion and choices that TreyArch put in (and forces you to make) can add onto the intensity. But like I said earlier, this is the bad part. TreyArch also understands its "less-than-bloodthirsty" crowd is part of its sales, so they added a way to turn off the gore and profanity. One settings switch and your suddenly very close to having yourself a T-rated game. Players will still have to witness civilian deaths (as they happen, while in Modern Warfare 3 98% of civilian deaths were off screen). You do get to kill these murders shortly after the firing begins though. All in all keep in mind that the Black Ops II can be toned down, but is still barely worthy of that M-rating. When it comes to multiplayer, Call of Duty is nothing short of famous (at least to the gamer world). After eight years of perfecting its technique, the series has been able to go under yet another transformation that makes it the game it is today. TreyArch listened to consumers and created a game based mostly on their complaints about previous games. The multiplayer in Black Ops II is nothing short of awesome (again), although it still has some issues that no programmer can rid of yet. This is the rather illiterate (and young) community that has revolved around this series. The result is little twelve year olds cussing each other out. Don't worry though. In game and post/pre game settings allows you to mute anyone you're playing with. The main child anyone should be facing is the shear amount of pros that will be on this game that could easily rip them apart in any game mode. TreyArch saves us again however with combat training, which lets you play easier (and progressively harder bots if you wish) in multiplayer simulated matches with real objectives. The newly installed league play also groups newbies with newbies and pros with pros, ensuring fair and exciting play every game. Now onto the last aspect of Black Ops II that no one could have expected four years ago. The zombies mode was introduced into World at War as a little bonus for beating the game. The response to the game mode was so powerful and positive that Black Ops (One) expanded on the mode and Black Ops II has now made it a full blown new game mode with dozens of additions that I couldn't possibly name. When it comes to the part parents are concerned about, you are killing any people in this game, but you kill zombies that look like people...sort of. The main issue is that blood is rampant throughout the game (your killing hundreds and even thousands of infected zombies with unbelievable firepower). While this could be a great team building game for friends (its now up to 8 players), online play proposes the same problems as multiplayer. Just mute those people if needed. The zombies mode is purely for entertainment, and I must say, it is EXTREMELY entertaining. What people should know is that TreyArch know how to sell to a wide audience. They know parents won't buy games that are super violent, so they gave options to tone it waaaay down, and nearly every disturbing instance can be covered. The only reality of the game that you can't change is that it's people shooting other people (although that's not even true either in zombies.) Another note is that I didn't mark drugs since the amount of drug use seen in this game is seen in every day life. Thanks for reading!
Teen, 13 years old Written bycallofdutyforever November 15, 2012

Mature shooter only for Ages 13- adult

Call of Duty black ops 2 is a great game with superb multiplayer and a ok single player. Zombies is definitely a great games mode for players to practice and fine tune their skills. However there is plenty of blood and gore. During the first mission in single player mode, the character sees a gruesome body burning to death in front of him. Zombies shows gibbing like other zombie games for call of duty and plenty of profanity and suggestive scenes in the single player. For example a mission involves going into a nightclub. Inside there are woman with very very suggestive clothing. My advice: only 17 and older for zombies and single player. The multiplayer is fine for ages 13- 17 but with adult supervision
Teen, 13 years old Written byGenericUsername November 18, 2012

Seriously Common Sense!?

Once again, they over exaggerated when it come's to video games. To be honest, this game isn't that bad of what kid's will actually play. Kid's sometimes just skip the campaign because of it's bad past (plus you can censor the graphic content at the beginning of the game). I didn't play the game without graphic content, I didn't fell more violent, I didn't want to watch it. As for multiplayer, people swear, rage, scream, and troll (internet harassing, usually against someone that's taking the game to seriously). Just mute them, now you can mute all with one click. Blood is limited, there's like a splash of blood and they drop dead, nothing graphic As for zombies, it's actually the least violent mode, your killing zombies for one thing, splash of blood and there dead like multiplayer, and it's requires cooperation. Yes there's the online community issue again, but I've found them nicer in zombies because you require cooperation. Nothing too graphic except for campaign. So overall zombies is the least violent. Same with multiplayer.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHomerug November 17, 2012

IS BLACK OPS II RIGHT FOR YOUR KIDS

Call Of Duty:Black Ops II,Is A great game I love it But IF YOUR KID IS ON VIDEO GAMES ALL DAY i dont think this is a goo game for him and Theres NO SEX OR SEXUAL THEMES OR NUDITY There IS strong Language And violents And blood,Gore But i think only 11 or up should play this game but theres not sex or anything like that no killing random people [ENEMIES DONT COUNT] And its for people that arn't addicts to these things so mybe You should play it first OR :Prob look at other peoples revies
Parent Written byCuties195 December 11, 2012

CSM isn't telling you everything (like usual)

I have an 11 year old son who is restricted from playing M rated games. When my son asked for this for his upcoming 12th birthday, I said no, and he said, "But everyone else plays it. You can turn of the Gore and language!". So I came here and saw that CSM rated Black Ops 2 NOT FOR KIDS, but then I saw the other parents who said they didn't agree with CSM. So I did my reasearch, and saw that you CAN turn off the Gore and language. A little unsure, I bought the game and gave it to my son. We let him play it, but we had to watch to see if our son could play it. To be completely honest, with Gore and langauge off, it could easily be rated T. So for all you mothers who have your pre-teens or teenagers asking you for this game, buy it! It's perfectly fine!
Teen, 16 years old Written bysarcasticpeanutoil November 23, 2012

go to options

set graphic content to reduced. now everything the reviewer wqrned ypu about is gone!
Teen, 17 years old Written byguitarmaster13 December 8, 2012

Not That Bad

right it Call Of Duty so it is going to be violent but the swearing and Blood can be turned of when you start so its no different to battlefield i'm 12 and after renting this from blockbuster my Dad let me buy it I am not an only child and I have a 7 year old brother so this was a big aspect of why i wasn't allowed cod but when i got it my brother didn't have a problem with it and found it fun watching me play zombies. thanks for reading this.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez November 24, 2012

not for kids.

this second installment from the previous story from call of duty black ops 1 call of duty black ops 2 is a good awesome first person shooting game but only for adults and parents you need to take extreme caution about even letting your kids playing this game this game has a lot of bloody intense violence like no other plus there are disturbing Cinematic scene sequences where they show more dramatic deaths, including graphic melee kills, people burning to death, civilians killed in crossfire, torture, and a shipping container filled with rotting corpses expect non-stop constant strong language used throughout the story there's also some drinking and smoking used.
Teen, 17 years old Written byUseful December 11, 2012

CoD BO II

An extremely violent sci-fi FPS game based in America 2025.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTJarnot November 29, 2012

Violence and language but not as bad as you might think

Many people think "Oh, this game has shooting. It's not safe for kids." Im a 14 year old kid and I'v heard these things alot from parents. To be honest, my parents are cautious about these kinds of games but not too crazy about ratings. This game contains loads of violence obviously because it's a war game and foul language. But the people that you play as can be positive role models too. They protect their country from foreign invaders and save innocent people. The violence in the game, as I said, is from war. We all learn about shooting and gore at some point in our lives. The language is bad but nothing we won't hear when were all older. So I recommend this game for kids 12 and up.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySnudDatzEpic November 20, 2012

How bad is it?

Well lets start out by saying that this is not an educational game. I know you probably thought that it was, but let me tell you it isn't. There. Good to get that out of the way... Now lets start with violence. You can turn it off as a lot of other people have said. Single player has more gore (if you don't turn it off) than the multiplayer. It's brutal, kind of gross, and realistic. If you don't want that, turn it off. It isn't hard. The language is also censored with the filter. If you don't censor it, it is pretty excessive. The zombies mode is really gory (I'm not sure if you can turn that off). You don't have to play it though. The zombie mode isn't really themed on scaring the player to be honest. It isn't realistic (it's arcade-ish) and that's actually a good thing. It doesn't take itself seriously (the zombie mode). As for the overall, I like the game a lot. I'd suggest it for kids that can handle it. If they don't want it, there isn't any need to get them to want it. I'd suggest talking to kids about why they want it. Chances are it's cause their friends all have it. There's nothing wrong with doing the same thing as your friends, but this is teaching them to be susceptible to peer pressure. That kind of thinking can lead to a stupid consumer (or the AVERAGE consumer). Call of Duty relies on this kind of person. No, I'm not bashing the series, I like it. It's just that kids need to remember that when they buy something for their enjoyment (like a video game), that they need to buy it for THEIR enjoyment, and they need to make sure to get their 60 bucks worth. Thanks for reading.
Teen, 16 years old Written byThat90sguy November 20, 2012

Best in the series! Hopefully the last CoD

Being a big CoD fan, I've played every game and will have to say that Black Ops 2 is the best CoD game I've played in a while. The campaign is much better than Black Ops 1, it's much darker, lots more action, better story, more involvement with the characters, and you have an option to change the story in the direction that you want, raising the replayability level. The multiplayer is much more fun than MW3, as spawning is fixed, the maps are open, and no more survival mode! Zombies has also been vastly improved now that it has joined the multiplayer component. Grief mode, which is 4v4 against each other on sections of the map, is a fresh idea and is done well as well as survival. However, the new TranZit map has its problems, for it is too complicated. There are new ways to explore the map such as doing the enormous easter egg to collecting parts to open up doors, its to much and makes the map over complicated. It's extremely easy to as you can make trains almost anywhere in the map. Other than that, it is a great game, but an inapproiate CoD as well. Violence is strong, right when you start the game, you see a man burning to death and you can't save him. There is also some gory moments of tourture, like shooting someone's legs off before sliting their throat, guresome. Language is also frequent, uses of f--k and s--t are common. Overall, this game has been the best CoD that i've played in a while, and I recommend it to older teens. One more thing to mention, I feel like that this has to be the last CoD, at least for awhile, because after this game, what other war can they cover that hasen't been done yet? None, because they have, and the series is getting old. Stop releasing these games every year Activision!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byThe Master0404 November 26, 2012

Black Ops= Good for learning

Teaches Mature Teens about the ruth of war.
Teen, 15 years old Written byEvonyflyer December 3, 2012

Not as bad as it seems

I think this game is definitely not as bad as common sense media portrays it to be, but it really does depend on your kids. If you think that they're mature enough to let them play the game then let them, if not then don't.