All member reviews for Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Teen, 16 years old Written bySealith November 19, 2012

An Experienced Revier

Now before anyone runs away from this review because it's coming from a teenager, I must remind everyone that I have one of the highest (and the most detailed) review on this game's predecessor "Modern Warfare 3". The votes on it are: "Helped me decide (52) | Had useful details (51) | Read my mind (43)". So now that's out of the way, I'll begin. TreyArch has a reputation in the Call of Duty franchise for making amazing games and threatens to outdo Infinity Ward's original dominance of the series. This is their third installment in the franchise including "World at War" (Call of Duty 5) and "Black Ops (One)" (Call of Duty 7). TreyArch is also known for following their customer's very closely and giving the, what they want. They hit the nail on the head when it came to this installment. Not only did they reconstruct the multiplayer to give it a new feel that old fans have been waiting for since the 4th installment, they also created a great campaign, something Call of Duty is not known for, and a greatly entertaining zombie section of the game. When it comes to the campaign though, TreyArch also has a history of creating the most brutal ones. I get the bad part out first. The Black Ops II campaign is like any other TreyArch one. Ridiculously brutal. When reviewing Modern Warfare 3, I mentioned that it belongs in the lower section of the M rating, saying it barely met the requirements for it. Black Ops II on the other hand fits into the M rating quite comfortable. I'm not saying it's inching towards the AO (Adults Only) range at all, but it is definitely where it belongs. Not only is the violence and profanity rather high, but the emotion and choices that TreyArch put in (and forces you to make) can add onto the intensity. But like I said earlier, this is the bad part. TreyArch also understands its "less-than-bloodthirsty" crowd is part of its sales, so they added a way to turn off the gore and profanity. One settings switch and your suddenly very close to having yourself a T-rated game. Players will still have to witness civilian deaths (as they happen, while in Modern Warfare 3 98% of civilian deaths were off screen). You do get to kill these murders shortly after the firing begins though. All in all keep in mind that the Black Ops II can be toned down, but is still barely worthy of that M-rating. When it comes to multiplayer, Call of Duty is nothing short of famous (at least to the gamer world). After eight years of perfecting its technique, the series has been able to go under yet another transformation that makes it the game it is today. TreyArch listened to consumers and created a game based mostly on their complaints about previous games. The multiplayer in Black Ops II is nothing short of awesome (again), although it still has some issues that no programmer can rid of yet. This is the rather illiterate (and young) community that has revolved around this series. The result is little twelve year olds cussing each other out. Don't worry though. In game and post/pre game settings allows you to mute anyone you're playing with. The main child anyone should be facing is the shear amount of pros that will be on this game that could easily rip them apart in any game mode. TreyArch saves us again however with combat training, which lets you play easier (and progressively harder bots if you wish) in multiplayer simulated matches with real objectives. The newly installed league play also groups newbies with newbies and pros with pros, ensuring fair and exciting play every game. Now onto the last aspect of Black Ops II that no one could have expected four years ago. The zombies mode was introduced into World at War as a little bonus for beating the game. The response to the game mode was so powerful and positive that Black Ops (One) expanded on the mode and Black Ops II has now made it a full blown new game mode with dozens of additions that I couldn't possibly name. When it comes to the part parents are concerned about, you are killing any people in this game, but you kill zombies that look like people...sort of. The main issue is that blood is rampant throughout the game (your killing hundreds and even thousands of infected zombies with unbelievable firepower). While this could be a great team building game for friends (its now up to 8 players), online play proposes the same problems as multiplayer. Just mute those people if needed. The zombies mode is purely for entertainment, and I must say, it is EXTREMELY entertaining. What people should know is that TreyArch know how to sell to a wide audience. They know parents won't buy games that are super violent, so they gave options to tone it waaaay down, and nearly every disturbing instance can be covered. The only reality of the game that you can't change is that it's people shooting other people (although that's not even true either in zombies.) Another note is that I didn't mark drugs since the amount of drug use seen in this game is seen in every day life. Thanks for reading!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpencin8r November 15, 2012

Black Ops 2

This game may not be the most educational,least violent,or even least scary game out there but parents shouldn't give up on it quite yet. First off, all gore can be turned off, secondly I honestly think the gore can be left on for someone 12 and older. It teaches kids the brutality of war and can be a real wake up call. Plus it has a great campaign, totally unrealistic zombie gore, and multiplayer where you can connect with friends and people across the globe. Definitely great for someone 12 and up!
Teen, 15 years old Written bygoogle321 January 8, 2013

Black ops 2

Black ops 2 is a fantastic game. It's is set in 2025 and in some levels you'll flash back into the shoes of Alex Mason (from the first game). Common Sense media has failed to inform you that you can turn off all blood and gore and the worst of the inappropriate language. The game online can drastically change by how much fun you have for instance some people may swear online or you may die repeatedly but the swearing can be stopped by muting that player if you don't like playing with random people online you can set up a private match or just play split screen with someone at home. Zombie mode is only slightly bad even with the blood turned off you will face zombie hordes with blood on their faces scratches and gashes all over them and the mode also supports horror themes.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCato Hadley November 14, 2012

Black OPS

It is a war game, it is intertaining can keep you busy for hours! I rate you play it only if you like war games and to watch blood splatter out of Zombies!
Teen, 17 years old Written byguitarmaster13 December 8, 2012

Not That Bad

right it Call Of Duty so it is going to be violent but the swearing and Blood can be turned of when you start so its no different to battlefield i'm 12 and after renting this from blockbuster my Dad let me buy it I am not an only child and I have a 7 year old brother so this was a big aspect of why i wasn't allowed cod but when i got it my brother didn't have a problem with it and found it fun watching me play zombies. thanks for reading this.
Teen, 16 years old Written bysarcasticpeanutoil November 23, 2012

go to options

set graphic content to reduced. now everything the reviewer wqrned ypu about is gone!
Teen, 17 years old Written byHomerug November 17, 2012

IS BLACK OPS II RIGHT FOR YOUR KIDS

Call Of Duty:Black Ops II,Is A great game I love it But IF YOUR KID IS ON VIDEO GAMES ALL DAY i dont think this is a goo game for him and Theres NO SEX OR SEXUAL THEMES OR NUDITY There IS strong Language And violents And blood,Gore But i think only 11 or up should play this game but theres not sex or anything like that no killing random people [ENEMIES DONT COUNT] And its for people that arn't addicts to these things so mybe You should play it first OR :Prob look at other peoples revies
Teen, 17 years old Written byShooter913 December 13, 2012

LEARNING

You can buy this game if you trust your son or daugther

Hi I am a 17 year old boy. I think Call of Duty Black ops 2 is not a bad games for kids. If you are free going parent like my father you can let your sons or daughters play. My youngest brother is 6 1/2 years old and he still plays Call of Duty Black ops Two on Xbox, any how we can turn of blood, gore, and swears in the parental controls of the game. It say that it has "SEX" in it but really doesn't for that I've seen. I would say go easy on your kids and buy them Call of Duty Black OPS 2 Note: Sometimes bribery and swear words will be said in the Online Gaming so yu can turn that off to :) :D DOCTOR 17 SHOOTER 913 :D
Kid, 12 years old November 25, 2012

5 stars

C.O.D balck ops ll is for 11 year olds because it DOESN'T HAVE SEX OR DRUGS OR DRINKING. it only has smoking in 1/4 of the game. so i think its for 11 year olds. it does have blood and bad language but you can turn the blood of in settings and the bad language you should turn off the subtitles and mute the voice.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySnudDatzEpic November 20, 2012

How bad is it?

Well lets start out by saying that this is not an educational game. I know you probably thought that it was, but let me tell you it isn't. There. Good to get that out of the way... Now lets start with violence. You can turn it off as a lot of other people have said. Single player has more gore (if you don't turn it off) than the multiplayer. It's brutal, kind of gross, and realistic. If you don't want that, turn it off. It isn't hard. The language is also censored with the filter. If you don't censor it, it is pretty excessive. The zombies mode is really gory (I'm not sure if you can turn that off). You don't have to play it though. The zombie mode isn't really themed on scaring the player to be honest. It isn't realistic (it's arcade-ish) and that's actually a good thing. It doesn't take itself seriously (the zombie mode). As for the overall, I like the game a lot. I'd suggest it for kids that can handle it. If they don't want it, there isn't any need to get them to want it. I'd suggest talking to kids about why they want it. Chances are it's cause their friends all have it. There's nothing wrong with doing the same thing as your friends, but this is teaching them to be susceptible to peer pressure. That kind of thinking can lead to a stupid consumer (or the AVERAGE consumer). Call of Duty relies on this kind of person. No, I'm not bashing the series, I like it. It's just that kids need to remember that when they buy something for their enjoyment (like a video game), that they need to buy it for THEIR enjoyment, and they need to make sure to get their 60 bucks worth. Thanks for reading.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGenericUsername November 18, 2012

Seriously Common Sense!?

Once again, they over exaggerated when it come's to video games. To be honest, this game isn't that bad of what kid's will actually play. Kid's sometimes just skip the campaign because of it's bad past (plus you can censor the graphic content at the beginning of the game). I didn't play the game without graphic content, I didn't fell more violent, I didn't want to watch it. As for multiplayer, people swear, rage, scream, and troll (internet harassing, usually against someone that's taking the game to seriously). Just mute them, now you can mute all with one click. Blood is limited, there's like a splash of blood and they drop dead, nothing graphic As for zombies, it's actually the least violent mode, your killing zombies for one thing, splash of blood and there dead like multiplayer, and it's requires cooperation. Yes there's the online community issue again, but I've found them nicer in zombies because you require cooperation. Nothing too graphic except for campaign. So overall zombies is the least violent. Same with multiplayer.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycallofdutyforever November 15, 2012

Mature shooter only for Ages 13- adult

Call of Duty black ops 2 is a great game with superb multiplayer and a ok single player. Zombies is definitely a great games mode for players to practice and fine tune their skills. However there is plenty of blood and gore. During the first mission in single player mode, the character sees a gruesome body burning to death in front of him. Zombies shows gibbing like other zombie games for call of duty and plenty of profanity and suggestive scenes in the single player. For example a mission involves going into a nightclub. Inside there are woman with very very suggestive clothing. My advice: only 17 and older for zombies and single player. The multiplayer is fine for ages 13- 17 but with adult supervision
Teen, 14 years old Written byalvinchimp January 6, 2013

fun game not as bad as they say

my favorite game i play it with brothers and friends and they all love it you can turn off blood and language. campaign is the most violent reccomended 14 and up multiplayer rocks love playin it with my dad zombies by far the best not that scary if you have played the original zombies you will learn that they were made in a lab and that the zombies are being controlled by a mad scientist guy not realistic at all overall reccomended 13 or 14 and up though my ten year old brother plays
Teen, 13 years old Written byBaked Carrot November 28, 2014

Review by a BO2 addict

Call Of Duty: Sex, drugs, violence. That is what most parents think of the game. I agree the game is overly violent and cursing is exaggerated, but most of these things can be toggled on or off. Turning off gore can transform the game into something more teen rated. Of course there is always the people on the online part of the game saying inappropriate things or insults, but that can be taken care of by disabling the online service or connection. Over all, BO2 is very entertaining and immersive, but can be quite violent at times (with gore enabled). I think 13-14 year olds should be able to play, but what really depends is if the online aspect is enabled because if it is, players may hear screaming little kids, to college students who can find nothing else to do than get in online arguments with kids. Lots of bad language online, not recommended if you don't want your son/daughter to hear these words. Wrapping up, BO2 is very fun and loaded with fast decision making and strategy, I have lots of fun playing and all the boring moments after homework are eliminated. Remember to play in moderation though, the game is quite addictive (believe me i know). Final verdict; with certain options enabled or disabled, the game can become a Teen Rated game. Very fun, great Christmas present, wonderfully made game.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKingturnip26 April 11, 2014

Great game

Great game, only rated M because of campaign
Teen, 17 years old Written byMaster of skyrim July 17, 2013

Good for eleven year olds

this game is kind of bad but not really I think this game has some things in it I think are bad like all the killing language but there is a positive role model His name is Alex Mason he never leaves a solider behind is an honored military veteran and at the end of the game you can stop a terrorist once and for all of course there is violence its a first person shooter it teaches your kids that the army is no fun and games there is no respawning you die you die the online people are optional to here for this review I went in a public game for one minute without my headset on and listened I was disgusted and the one guy I heard he was saying something very bad get you mutha f**king papa on the mic so multiplayer is bad unless you go into party so multiplayer is only good if your in a party i'm always in a party so I don't have to listen to those peoplemy opinion 11 or older
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Real reveiwer May 15, 2013

My first common sense angry rant

Are you seriously going to let a stupid website rule your kids? I mean really people If you ask me this site is full of bullcrap. I have played this game before and really it isn't as bad as they say, I mean its like they see the M on the cover and they say "op! Too bad Let's go make a few more thousand kids miserable. Maybe they should add a counter "How many kids hate us Now" Im beginning to doubt the fact that they actually play the game or if they just look at the content descriptors. Common sense editors if your reading this Maybe youll realise that you need to rethink things and let this site become a democracy and not a dictatorship. Or at least take input from people who have actually played the game. Thats all i have to say... For now
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheGamerandMovier May 9, 2013

Great Game but with some restritions

This game is a great game if you can take mature blood, gore, language, little to none drinking or drug relations. The nice thing about Black Ops 2 is that you have the option of toning the violence and language down to a teen level. The game will give you an option whether to turn on or off the blood and gore and when you do that the violence, gore, drinking and smoking are no longer in the game. But this does NOT include for the online multiplayer which players can curse and use offense language. I know this because I have the game.
Kid, 12 years old December 31, 2012

LEARNING

Great Game For Mature Kids 11+ Who Have Played Violent Games Before.

This is a great game. For kids 12 and over who like shooters and have played at least rated Teen games, they'll totally be fine with this. You can turn off the swearing and really bad stuff with options, but it takes away the feel. If your child is 11 or under, please consider having them play really violent Teen games before heading to Mature. I'm only 12 myself and I started playing C (Young Child), K&A (Kids And Adults), and E (Everyone) at the age of 4. I never got any nightmares at them or anything, and when I was 6 I started playing E10+ (Everyone 10 And Over). I got a few nightmares at those, but at 8 and a half I started playing Teen, which I got nightmares at a bit more then when I was 6. At the age of 10 I was completely fine with all the gore in Teen games, and at 11 I started to move onto M (Mature). I never got ANY nightmares or anything at these, and I love shooting zombies and cutting Templars with my sword. I own nearly all the COD games and I'll always be a fan of them. NOTE: I do play Battlefield too, I'm not just a COD fanboy! I've played most M series, Half-Life, Battlefield, Call Of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Team Fortress, The Elder Scrolls, etc. In fact, most of my PS3 and XBOX games are Mature games. I've been gaming non-stop since I was 4. I've never gone 3 days without gaming for at least 1 hour (At age 4-5). At ages 6+ I was gaming for 3 hours in 3 days, at ages 8+ it was 8 hours in 5 days, and at 10+ it was 6+ hours a day. I've devoted my life to gaming, and one day I want to develop games for SONY, Nintendo or Microsoft. I love gaming. Its my passion. My addiction. My hobby. MY LIFE. Don't worry, I still get an hour of exercise a day! XD So yes, please get the game for anyone 11+ who IS MATURE ENOUGH TO HANDLE IT. There is a content filter as I said before, but if your child is mature enough, keep that filter off for a while and watch em' blow off all those heads of those zombies! "I'VE GOT TONS OF V0DKA, BUT NO *CENSORED* AMMO!" -Nikolai from Black Ops 1 Zombies. Great game. 5/5, best COD yet. Keep up the good work, Treyarch, Activision and Infinity Ward!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymeme103 December 27, 2012

Great game!

this game has the best multiplayer, a great camaign, and zombies. You should let your 10 or 11 year old play this game. There is a setting to make it to where the violence isn't as graphic and it doesn't say a single cuss word.