All teen and kid member reviews for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Teen, 13 years old Written bySense Not Censorship June 21, 2010

Perfect For Age 14 And Up

This game is very easy to play. I have learned many strategies used by the US Marine Corps. It is fun but I do not recommend children under 13 play this game. In one level you are an undercover CIA agent infiltrating a terrorist organization with evil intentions. In this level you can or cannot partake in the murder of innocent civilians in a Russian airport. However, you are warned beforehand about the disturbing content and can choose whether you want to play this level. This game has good role models. Ex: Brave U.S Soldiers defend their homeland while saving hostages and civilians. One major issue is the explicit language used by other online gamers. If you go to the PS3/Xbox 360 family settings, you can control who your child can listen to. This game also has fairly simple controls and you should understand them by the third day you have played the game.
Kid, 10 years old July 2, 2015

Infinity Ward does it again!

This is an amazing game! Alright, don't just skip this because I'm 10 years old. VIOLENCE you can turn off the blood and gore and disturbing moments. Which makes it "T" rated violence. SWEARING once again you can turn off swearing which makes it "E" on swearing. And it wouldn't be a big deal if you don't turn of swearing anyways, it barely cusses it would be "T" on swearing if you don't turn it off. CONSUMERISUM none DRONKING DRUGS AND SMOKING. No Drink Or drugs there is a little bit of smoking though. But it's only stuff you could see anywhere in real life. It's only a guy smoking a cigar once or twice, in my opinion it's a "E10" on drinking, drugs, and smoking. PRIVACY of course like all CoD game there is multiplayer. Which you can hear people cuss there is two solutions to that, 1 mute everyone. 2. Not let your kid play multiplayer. I would give it a four out of five on privacy. EASE OF PLAY a fairly easy game to play, I would give it 3 out of 5 on ease of play. Overall it is good for 12 and over as long as you know your kid is very mature and won't go out and shoot someone because they did it on this game. Overall. I would rate this game "T" thank you for reading this and get this for your kid because it is a great game!
Teen, 13 years old Written byVolcanicSilver November 13, 2009

Great Game. Okay For Kids 13 And Older. Not For Younger Kids.

I'm 13, just turning 14 pretty soon. I would definitely rate it "Off" for ages 8-11, and maybe "Iffy" for 12. My mom and dad just bought me an Xbox 360 last year for my 13th birthday, and just allowed me to play Halo. That was the first M-rated game that I've ever played, and I invited my cousin over for a sleep-over, and we played Halo 3. He only owned a Wii at the time, and only played E-rated games such as Animal Crossing and Wii Sports Resort. But he got permission from his dad to play Halo 3 while at my house, and loved it. A lot. And so they bought him an Xbox and Halo 3. I talk to my friends about video games, and they always talked about how awesome Call of Duty is, and how I need to get it. I had never even considered playing Call of Duty at that time, but I looked at my friends playing Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and it looks really good. So I've been looking at gameplay videos, reviews, safety reviews, and other stuff that would convince my mom to buy it for me. I imagine the game as an equivalent to a PG-13 movie. But even movies are worse than this game. The Bourne series and other action movies feature things way worse than what is in this game, and my mom started aloowing me to watch PG-13 movies when I was 9. So, that's my reason of argument when I try to convince my mom to buy it, but she says that she is still nervous about the cuss words. That's her main issue. But I listened to CoD 4: Modern Warfare and Halo 3, and you can almost never hear any in-game cuss words, unless you're in a cutscene, when the characters actually have an in-depth conversation. That's normally when you can hear the use of those types of words. But my mom says that if my dad would approve of it, then she would buy the game. Also, I would like for you to know, I'm not some random kid who wants to be able to play violent games and tell all the adults that they are wrong. My mom always describes me as "the perfect child", and the kids at my school think that way, too. Every year since 3rd grade, I've made the A Honor Roll. My teachers love me, I've won the school Spelling Bee 3 years in a row, I'm in the top band at school and just recently made it to Top-Regionals. I'm in Gifted-and-Talented classes, and kids always come to me for help. So, I'm not trying to argue. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, I feel that this game is okay for mature kids 13 or older. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read this (I'm also in the debate team), and I hope this helped some of you parents decide if this game is okay or not for your kid.
Teen, 15 years old Written bythegeek June 22, 2015

just have common sense...

i have read a lot of reviews on this site. a lot of them act like kids are going to become terrorists. honestly, do you think your 12 year old is going to come up to you and say "mommy, i just played mw2. now i want to go join a R Russian terrorist group head by a lunatic and go kill people in an air port and blame the U.S. to start world war three!" or anything like that? know your kid. know whether or not they are going to absorb it like that. and if your still not sure, SKIP THE MISSION it does not penalize you in any way.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDarkArcher64 February 8, 2011

Extremely Intense Shooter

Alot of pointless killing, blood and gore. No Russian is a mission where you enter an airport and take out hundreds (maybe thousands) of innocent people. Blood is sprayed every where an is extremely gruesome and disdurping. The game is definitely not for kids 15 and under. 16 at the very least if they can handle alot of violence and blood. Another level allows you to drive a truck as you run over people, if you hit someone there brains and skull crack open and splatter all over your windshield. No kids, unless there daring and can take alot of intense content
Teen, 16 years old Written byDOCCON January 2, 2010

If you've read my earlier COD reviews, you'd notice I'm a big fan of the series, especially when the game features the word "Modern" in it. Things haven't changed here. After being excited for a sequel for 2 years and REALLY wanting one for 9 months prior to release, November 10 was exciting to say the least. I was afraid the game was going to fail to live up the the high expectations I set up for it, but it passed in every way. Multiplayer hasn't been greatly changed, but its been fine tuned with many great, new editions. As before, you start out with only a couple of guns and perks (which are bonuses like reloading faster or doing slightly greater bullet damage), but as you earn kills and complete challenges (fall 15 feet and survive or kill an enemy, take his gun, and kill him again with his own gun), you earn EXP and level up. Leveling up gives you new perks and guns and game types to choose from. The create a class feature from the first game carriers over, allowing you to craft your perfect warrior using what you have unlocked. If you like sniping, you can choose your favorite rifle of the bunch and then perks that would compliment it. However, there have been some additions. Before, you got 3, 5, and 7 kill streaks for getting said number of kills in a row. Now you get to choose between 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11,15, and 25 killstreaks (most of which also need to be unlocked by leveling up, this time in the order of your choosing). This opens up a nice risk/reward system, since earlier kill streaks tend to not be as good as the higher ones (a 25 kill streak calls in a nuke that ends the game and gives your team an automatic win). It may take more work to get an 11 kill streak, but calling in an AC-130 gunship to rain down fire from the sky is much more entertaining, thrilling, an enjoyable than calling in a UAV radar with 3 kills. There are also new attachments to put on guns, such as heartbeat sensors and holographic scopes (which again, are unlocked through getting kills with a specific gun, thus unlocking attachments for only that weapon). Another new feature is upgrading perks. Extra bullet damage against humans is nice, but you can now upgrade the perk that enables that to get extra bullet damage against aircraft and other killstreaks. There are other changes as well, but I think I've said enough. The multiplayer itself can't be beat by any game on the market. It has dozens upon dozens of hours of entertainment packed away and could be sold as a full game all by itself. Most maps are very well constructed. For every sniping spot, there is another place where you can counter the sniper. There are plenty of maps to play on and at least 80% of them are great, probably more. The multiplayer could be sold as a full game all by itself, yet it is only one of three modes you have to play. Spec-Ops is the new mode. It allows you and a friend to play through one of 23 challenges cooperatively. Missions could involve races on snowmobiles, to sniping stealth missions, to areas with a finite number of enemies that you can take down as you see fit. 21 of these challenges can be played solo, but things get fun when a friend hops in. There is no matchmaking for spec-ops, but it allows you to play with people on your friends list or split-screen. It would have been nice to have matchmaking, but odds are, you are going to have friends with the game, so there will be many opportunities to play with others. Overall, I found myself playing it the least and I think it is the worst of the three modes, yet it is still highly fun and some games would be lucky to have that mode as their best mode. Now for the story. As has been highly advertised, there is a skipable mission where you play an undercover CIA agent posing as a terrorist. I don't know how it got so controversial, as there are many films with much more gruesome takes on terrorism than this. I thought the scene didn't take it far enough to show off the true horrors of terrorism, but took it plenty far enough to be found as disturbing. I wasn't offended by it, but others may be. The single player mode is expertly paced, extremely intense, and most importantly, extremely fun. Unfortunately, it is a bit on the short side and ends in a HIGHLY uneventful cliffhanger, making the game feel shorter still, but the six to eight hours it'll take to finish are still highly memorable. Nothing comes off quite as big as a COD4 nuke, but many things come very close. Along with the short length, the story has one more problem: it is nigh impossible to piece together what the heck is going on. After analyzing it for awhile after beating it, you figure out that some corrupt American soldier decides he really wants to be a war hero, so he finds a crazy terrorist and secretly teams up with the terrorist while said terrorist (Makarov) blows the crap out of the American east coast. He destroys much of DC, along with many other locations. There are plenty of holes along the way, but to reveal them is to spoil a lot of the (nonsensical) story, so I'll leave them alone. If you want to find most of them, Gamesradar.com had a Modern Warfare 2 article that did an amazing job at revealing some of the lapses of logic that go on during the story. MW2 is lucky that story doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to shooting terrorists and it is also very fortunate that you never pick up on most of the holes when playing the game. You move from one set piece moment to another so fast, that you never have time to think about what's going on in the story and you never have time to consider what amazing piece of action the developers are going to throw at you next. It acts a bit like a Michael Bay movie, plenty of explosions and shooting, but not a lot of plot. Considering how amazing everything else is, though, you may find it hard to care a whole lot about the story's shortcomings. If I have to choose between insane fun or an amazing story (especially for a first person shooter), I'll take the fun 10 times out of 10 and that is exactly what MW2 gives you.
Kid, 11 years old October 26, 2014

Amazing Game! But Violent.

I got this game for Christmas back 4 years ago and I loved it! It had smoking and swearing but overall it was great! However, in one mission you join a terrost named Makarav and help kill civilians in a russian airport as an Undercover Mission. But this level is optional. Only allow your kids to play if they are MATURE and can handle the violence and coarse laungage!
Kid, 9 years old March 18, 2011

Just don't play campaign mode

Kid, 8 years old March 11, 2011

wow just wow

WOW! no kids so wrong!! uh-huh! yup this game is a war game!!!! not killing people for fun!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byJacko98 February 27, 2011

Good Game for 13+

okay so the swearing isn't bad at all its just like your watching a movie. there is no F words in English so your kids won't know what the Russians are saying. over all I think it is a great game.
Teen, 15 years old Written byHicktown007 September 2, 2010

As a child myself, i believe this site is rather strict. If infinityward really wanted to make this game unbearable for parents, there would have been worse gameplay. It hasnt really bothered me in any way mentally. Coming from an honor student/gamer, i say parents shouldn't really dissaprove of this game, and this site is for strict parents, or for people who don't know how to mind their own business. so i rate this site as a whole a bust, a fail, and just a waste of time
Teen, 14 years old Written bydude12345 June 20, 2010

Call of duty six is a really fun first-person shooter game. It has a rather quick story line that pulls you in and makes you want to play more. But, as with all call of duty games, the online gaming is the best part. Obviously not all of the players are nice, making fun of you, etc. And also, there seems to be a lot of controversy about the airport level. Yes, it is a bit disturbing for sensitive people, but it gives you the option to bypass that mission. Now onto the messages. Well, this is a hard one. The soldiers are "good guys" fighting for what is right, but on the other hand they do kill a lot of people, especially in the airport level. Honestly, this game is all about maturity. My ten year old brother could play this game. He knows not go on the street and shoot people.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhookeyfreak1 June 20, 2010

amazing game

it is okay for mature 12 year old and teens.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJoe10 April 10, 2010

A great game!

Common sense exagerates too much. This game is not very gory except when you get shot up, but its nothing much. This is a great game. Part of the reason it is rated M is because the online. Once again a great game for 13+ or maybe 12+.
Teen, 15 years old Written byblu3cupcak3s November 12, 2009

For Mature Children

i honestly love this game, and it really does depend on who is playing it to make judgement calls for it. like i totally believe that anyone 9 and younger should be playing it unless they understand it and realize that it isnt real. and a very select few actually take that into account. i for one, have played every game in the call of duty series and i think they are all entertaining, easy to get games. but many kids have parents that dont understand this. they think that it is extremely violent(some parts are tho) an its just non-stop gore and deaths. there is actually a point to most of the parts in these games. but thats just what i think :D
Teen, 14 years old Written byOzhowlett August 8, 2015

Only reason for 18. No russia

This is a game which has be made an 18/m for 1 reason. There is a mission in this game called no Russia in which you go into an airport and kill loads of civilians. Now I want to say 2 things right now 1 as soon as you put the disc in and the menu comes up it warns you about offensive content and says you can skip it and you will not get penalised via trophy's and no one will ever know you did it, you can even skip if you say you won't be offended. And 2 the killing people is only optional you can just watch. Also you do die at the end. Apart from that 11-12 plus. Very little gore or swearing
Kid, 8 years old July 8, 2015

Very graphic/bloody shooter is fine for the oldest teens.

This game has tons of war related violence, characters are stabbed,crushed,burned,shot,and blown to bits, blood spurts, spills, and splatters, also tons of explosions. There is also plenty of strong language but its not extremely frequent. This game is fun,exciting,thrilling and easy to play but due to the very strong gory violence its not for kids. My rating:M for strong bloody violence,and for language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPokabou March 30, 2015

Great game, but iffy

This game is fun, but 3 factors can make this game a no-go. The first is the violence and blood. It is very abundant around the game (as to be expected) but it is not as bad as some of the new cod installments. 2nd is language, but you can turn that down when you first get the game. I remember only 1 f-bomb and a few uses of other swears. The 3rd is this level called no Russian where you must kill civilians in an airport while undercover to get in a terrorist group, but you can skip that level. Overall fun game but keep I. Mind thes things
Kid, 11 years old December 7, 2014

Great new game!

Blood squirts off enemies when shot. Blood puddles form round their bodies. Swearing is not very frequent but it is 99% minor swears. There is one graphic and bloody level which makes you shoot thousand of civilians in an airport. But the mission can be skipped though.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFishynmn September 13, 2014

Perfect, but controversial shooter deserves its high critical praise.

Modern Warfare 2, like the first one, is a fast-paced, similar to real life shooter with probably the best graphics on a Xbox game I have ever seen. The enemies respond similar to real life, the story is intense, and there's an excellent selection of weapons. ___________________________________________________________________ Parents should know that this is the most violent/brutal of the modern warfares. There is a splash of blood whenever an enemy is shot, your character is stabbed up close with a knife and is forced to pull it out yourself. This is a painful, bloody scene. Also a large knife gets thrown in a soilder's eye, with blood spurting out, this scene is particularly graphic. ___________________________________________________________________ What's even a bigger controversy is the terrorist mission No Russian. This particular mission you are undercover in a terrorist group. Your group enters an airport and begins to gun down everyone inside. You can shoot the innocent people as well, but in no way are you encouraged to. This mission has a lot of blood and is very disturbing to watch. Only mature gamers should consider playing through this mission. ___________________________________________________________________ The word f--k is used in one very notable scene at the end. Several uses of s--t, frequent uses of "h--l"and "a--". Symbols and references to drugs are used a few times. ___________________________________________________________________ Ultimately, there's is a content filter that filters out blood and some language. Also, there is an option to skip the terrorist mission without any consequences. Still, with or without the filter, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is an incredibly intense, dark game that should be, in my opinion, no way be put in the hands of a fourteen-year-old or under. Fifteen and up, it's up to the parents, however I would more or less recommend this game for older teens that have a more mature understanding of moral values and war itself.