All member reviews for Call of Duty: World at War

Intense first-person shooter captures brutality of WWII.

Parent of a 13 year old Written bybluecanoe1221 January 14, 2011

Fun and very educational.

I'd say that this game is okay for mature kids who are 13 years old and up. There is a graphic content filter that will remove most of the blood and gore. I allow my kids to leave it on though- the game was meant to capture the brutality of World War II, and I feel that the blood and gore helps that although it is more violent. The game is actually quite accurate. The violence is of a realistic amount- if you've seen any footage from the War, you know what it's like. My son studied WWII in school and this game really helped him a lot. If you're one of those parents who thinks that everything's inappropriate for your kids, rent it first.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybmaya June 27, 2009

cool
Teen, 16 years old Written byI_TellTheTruth January 7, 2011

NO KIDS

Who are we kidding? All kids play COD. I started playing this when I was like 13. But, according to this website, it would definitely earn the NO KIDS rating because of the Violence and Language. LANGUAGE: Tons of F-words and S-words. In the campaign, online, and in Zombies (new maps.) There's no getting around the swearing (although I think there is a graphic content filter option, but I've never tried it.) VIOLENCE: Gratuitous amounts of gore. In the campaign you can shoot off limbs or heads. Grenades blow soldiers apart and rip stomachs out of bodies. On XBOX Live, heads can't come off, but explosives blow soldiers up and limbs fly (You even get awards for taking limbs off using the tank). In Zombies mode, heads blow up, stumps spurt blood, bottomless torsos crawl towards you, leaving bloody trails behind them. It's not any MORE violent than the story mode, but it's just that you're fighting SO MANY zombies that it seems gorier. Plus, it's more horror/fear - themed, so all around it just seems very intense. The game overall really IS NOT for kids ... but hey, they're gonna be playing it anyway. Just be aware that it is incredibly graphic and there's tons of profanity.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjibbal April 25, 2010

wonderful ww2 game with restrictions

amazing game. its alot of fun. best ww2 game out there. but kids of course, are gonna WANT the best ww2 game out there. so if kids are gonna want it, why did activision have to load it with cussing and gore? limbs will fly off, along with heads. lots of blood. yet theres a restriction in the options menu TO TURN OFF NOT JUST THE BLOOD AND GORE, BUT TE LANGUAGE ALSO! yeah thats right! you can easily turn off the gore and the language. that means no blood, no limbs or heads blown off, and no cussing. I SWEAR! I Have this game!
Adult Written byno one special March 14, 2009

A surprise once played.

My 12 year old suggested this and its older brother modern warfare. At the begining i would have none of it because it was a Mature rated game. Just to det him of my back i rented this for the wii and the ps3 and was surprised. The wii version is different in some ways, the gore is toned down a ton and the language isnt as bad. But displays the horrors of war, but i like to teach him things that are true . he is very mature about these things and understands completly that some things are real and some are not. i let him watch the WWII movies and they are the equivalent to this game. There are filters that are great to take out the language and gore. there is a purticularly bloody sceen where your fellow marine gets his kneck cut in exicution but nothing extremly terrible. OVER ALL A GREAT GAME THAT A MATURE CHILD THAT YOU HAVE TALKED TO ABOUT NOT TAKING IT TO BAD CAN PLAY THIS GAME.
Adult Written bydan field May 9, 2011

sutable for 11+

it is a great game however it has some cursing language and blood. it is not over the lop violence or language but has some. as a first person shooter it has been rated a 15+, despite this i have played it and it is not to bad. mature children of 11 and over can play it. zombies has no blood but has many guns, you can shoot at spacific body parts or look down the sight of the gun. i hope this summery has come in useful.
Parent Written byThegoodcop August 29, 2011

TURN OFF BLOOD AND SWEARS, parent review fine for 12+

A great game for kids 12 and up. It has blood and swearing in in it but both can be disabled in the menus. I am usually kinda strict about 15's but I let my 12 year old son get it on the condition that he turns of blood and swears. It was my sons first call of duty it has real footage from ww2 in it and is realistic to the war I recommend this for 12 years and up. Oh and all the other comments say blood gore swearing remember it can be turned off.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypuddingman January 5, 2011

this game is the most violent game that i have there is a whole lot of bud and language. if you play the zombies mode of this game your charector occasionaly says somthing and almost alwase has the fbom in it plus you can shoot almost any limb of them off. in story mode there is also a lot of cussing and gore including shooting there heads off and things like that. over all this game is very bloody gory and has lots of language but is very vey addicting and fun
Teen, 13 years old Written byProdigyX October 12, 2009

Slightly disturbing but a lot of action

There is an unnecessary amount of F-bombs dropped in the american side of the campaign. the Russians are more or less clean, preferring to cure in their native tongue, so if you don't understand Russian, its alright. Its kind of disturbing, hearing Japanese forces screaming as they are burned alive, but it teaches that was isnt just bang bang shoot em up; its real people, that feel real pain, just like you and me.
Kid, 12 years old August 13, 2009

Second worst CoD

I abusulutly hated this game. the only part about it thats good is nazi zombies. you can turn off blood and language for the 360.
Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written bykemperflow May 1, 2009

You can turn off gore mode, but still violent game..

Right or wrong, most of the 11+ kids in the neighborhood and in school play or have played this game. You can turn off gore mode, which removes certain questionable scenes and stop the gratuitous blood and flying limbs.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBaconBitz March 7, 2010

Great for Teens. Not for younger kids

Call of Duty World at War. This game is really fun and has educational value of world war two. The game has a lot of bad language and very gory violence. Grenades and heavy machineguns blow limbs off of bodies, blow heads off, and cause blood sprays. Despite this, the game is very fun and offers a lot of gamemodes to play
Teen, 15 years old Written byjodiby January 19, 2010

good for 12+

Adult Written bysamborino September 1, 2009

educational but very bloody and gory, zombies may be disturbing to kids
Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2009

this is a war! they dont care what happens.

ok this is world war 2. they are going to cuss. they've frikken put their lives on the line to defend there country kids need to know world war 2 was a very very bad time. people did get body parts amputated. people were shot to death and mauled by dogs. they of course cussed there grown men in the middle of a world war 2 battlefield. but still if youre still a little uneasy about getting this for your kid, it has a gore and language filter. on the other hand, this game is very educational. the characters in it were real soldiers. cutscenes and before scenes show you the history of world war 2 with newspaper articles form the 40s, war video footage and real life battle formation. and these guys are helping save their country and all of its inhabitants. get this game for your kid.
Adult Written bydemonaid12 December 31, 2008

THIS GAME IS NOT BAD!

this game is not so gory and not much cursing, kids age 9+ should be able to play it! commonsense doesnt know anything!
Parent Written byCOD man December 22, 2011

WAW Why chn should play it

The thing with cod waw that their is a profanity filter to stop the swearing. I let my 10 year old play it. The filter is great for a child of 10-13. If you dont like games like 18 certs this is the one for your child.
Adult Written byXA-Games December 20, 2010

OK for Tweens Who Can Handle It

The brutality of this game exceeds all other Call of Duty games, include Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops. Several aspects of the game include shooting off limbs and heads, seeings bodies with dismembered heads and limbs and pools of blood. A flamethrower is also available an you can burn people with it and watch them burn to death. It's a really fun game. But Nazi Zombies takes the previously described violent features to the max, and has 3 down loadable maps. Nazi Zombies can be scary, and in the downloadable map "Verruckt" you are in a confined space and can hear screams of dying Asylum patients, and the sounds of torture and a woman crying from an abortion. Zombies should be played by older players.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCrazy Gamer February 12, 2010

perfect game but a little to violent

I have played the game before and its a really good game and the story line is unbelieveable. But my concerns are the blood and gore and language. The blood and gore is very noticeble and you can see peoples limbs flying everywhere. But other than that its a really good game for teens 13+
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byKevin Quire November 27, 2009

for ages 12+

Not as violent as everyone claims online play removes the swear words.