All member reviews for Dark Souls II

Despite loads of fantasy violence, this tough RPG impresses.

Parent Written byyourskeptic March 21, 2015

Great Game, Tough Game

Having played this several times start to finish, there is no sexual content in this game. There are no swears. There is violence and gore. Most important thing to understand about this game is the extreme difficulty. Younger kids just won't be able to progress far so there isn't much point in it for them. Older kids and adults... one of the best ever.
Kid, 9 years old February 9, 2015

Good game no blood or gore no cussing there is some nudity but it's okay
Teen, 15 years old Written bySaad1Khan November 17, 2014

Like it's previous parts

I rated Dark Souls 15 and this game also deserves that rating because it is lil bit less gory than it's previous part.
Teen, 17 years old Written bypitatron October 7, 2014

DIFFICULT RPG THAT ISNT AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL

This is the sequel to the dark souls which came out in 2011. Known for their incredible difficulty dark souls 2 does not disappoint. This is a game about an unknown person who has been cursed and has all his memories of his past lost when he went to the land of Drangleic in an attempt to possibly remove the curse. It is up to you as the player to go through endless cycles of death and fight the 4 great ones to retrieve their souls and seek the king of Drangliec. This game is quite difficult so I do not recommend it for anyone under 13, although content wise it is quite tame compared to the original. The original has dark, twisted, almost disturbing monsters with loads of teeth and demonic, grotesque shapes. However the sequel is a little more forgiving in terms of difficulty and most of its monsters consist of dragons and knights, making this a significantly less creepy experience. The violence is similar to the original except this time the blood has been toned down significantly. Small amounts of blood rarely visible, in fact its sometimes in question to me if there is actually any. The gore never extends further than cutting of a dragons tail. A boss that is half snake half woman carries her head around. Another boss is made of people melded together. There is no real nudity, however there is a boss that has a scorpions body and a womans body put together. However she is blue, her body in proportion to the scorpion part is quite small and her hair obscures any nudity (in fact I didnt even know she was topless the first time I played the game). There is a small amount of language. Including extremely small amounts of uses of b*stard, and a use of pr*ck. This game all in all is not for kids, but mainly because of its difficulty. If you are into tough action RPGs, liked the original or just want to try it out I highly encourage it
Teen, 13 years old Written byHe8it October 5, 2014

Best RPG I've ever played.

I'll start off with how appropriate this game is, then get into the actual quality, and last I will talk about the difficulty, which deserves its own section. There is slight cleavage on some of the enemies, nothing too bad. In my 5 completions of the game I have heard no swearing whatsoever. There isn't any smoking, alcohol or drugs, or anything like that. Some of the monsters may be scary for younger kids (there aren't any jump-scares) but I doubt anyone below the age of 13 can get past the first two zones of this game (again, the difficulty). There aren't any real positive role-models or good messages in this game either. You never hear your character speak or choose what he says, and none of the NPCs are good role models, for different reasons. You play as a Hollow, a cursed being who can never die but looses a bit of his soul each time he does. You have come to this land seeking a way to end the curse. You journey through forests, caves, and castles seeking a way to end the curse. I won't spoil anything, but for any more of the lore you need to dig to find the hints. The story isn't just given to you. Combat is fast-paced and one wrong move means death. Deaths can feel cheep at times, but it is supposed to be frustrating. Multiplayer is fun, weather it's Player VS Player or Co-op. You have the ability to join Covenants, which allow you to participate in different kinds of multiplayer and reward you for doing so. You can build your character into any combination. Literally everything is viable, and it all just depends on your preferences. The boss fights are varied and intense, from a human/scorpion hybrid to three skeleton lords to a massive dragon. There are secrets and hidden items, and you are heavily rewarded for taking the time to explore. Now for the difficulty. This is the only reason I didn't make this review green 12. This game is designed specifically to make you break your keyboard or controller out of frustration. Here's how they do it: 1) Boss fights can feel extremely cheep 2) Traps, ambushes, and powerful enemies are everywhere. Running around without thought WILL get you killed. 3) The death system: When you die you go "hollow" and drop all your money at your death point. When you hollow you can not co-op and you have less max health. Each time you die your max health decreases. Also, if you die without getting your money, it is gone forever. 4) There is no tutorial or guide. 5) You can be invaded by other players at any time. Their job is to kill you. I recommend this game to anyone who loves a challenge. This is possibly the best RPG I have ever played.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarksouls444 September 5, 2014

Harder than the first

Hello me again dark souls was hard but this is even harder! new enemies bosses weapons armor! if your a veteran of dark souls good luck with the brand new sequel and I am playing a knight build and still stuck on the first area.
Kid, 12 years old July 17, 2014

Unsettling game lives up to it's title, not for the inpersistant

This game is entitled Dark Souls because it is not a lighthearted game. Everything from the environment to the cut scenes to even the plot line is dark. The difficulty of the game is another factor of it's appeal. This game is incredibly difficult. Every enemy has the power to kill you easily. It is quite violent, but I have yet to see any guns in this game, more focused around swords. Blood can be turned off. The final part is the online bit of it. Other players can come in your world as phantoms and try to murder you Overall Great game. Buy it.
Adult Written byPvt. Sokolva May 22, 2014

Overcoming Difficulty through strategy, practice, and perserverance

This game has the ability to change the way you think and play about games in general. It challenges its players on a strategic and thoughtful level. Though it has fantasy violence, the violence is never senseless and meaningless, and the death is not absolute or game ending, nor is it simply a minor setback. Though it may certainly be too frusterating for some children (as it is frusterating for many adult players as well) there is a great reward in this game for sticking to it and perservering through adversity. Firstly, it sucks you into this strange and dangerous world that is nevertheless beautiful despite all its darkness. In fact, it is perhaps because of this game's great darkness and difficulty that when you stumble upon a patch of beauty, or respite, you feel so rewarded and like you have achieved something. I may even raise my children and have them play this game when the time is right as a kind of test, to see whether they can overcome challenges by discovering and creating their own strategy and methods. I disagree that this game has no positive role models or messages. Just because you are not beat over the head with these messages does not mean that their subtlety makes them any less valid. Courage is rewarded in this game, but foolishness and greed is certainlly punished. If you rush through thoughtlessly you will soon be killed and lose all your souls, quickly learning that being careful and sizing up a situation is far better than jumpin in. That said, sometimes you need to take a risk to be rewarded with an amazing weapon or item, and you are taught through this that risks are in fact a kind of test, to see whether you can overcome the danger and deserve the reward. Is this not a positive and realistic message? Also, the world of drangleic is a once prosperous kingdom and is only dangerous and crumbling because of the actions of the rulers of the world, who treated its people badly and was torn apart by war and greed. Yet despite this, those who have managed to survive persist and attempt to find their own kind of happiness and survival in the world. Some characters, though embittered, are very brave and will open up to you and help you in times of need if you take the time to talk to them and hear their stories. Others will come to your aid simply because they are friendly and will cover your back if you cover theirs, and befriend you. You have to put effort into these characters in order to find out about their lives, and the more you put into it, the more reward you get, both in the storyline, and through gifts and aid they give you. Another valuable part of this game I would say is the online community. Because there is no voice chat in the game there are no opportunities for innappropriate or hurtful exchanges between players, nor will the child be exposed to inappropriate pictures from other players. It cuts down on much of the bad parts of the community in this simple way and encourages the good. There are many, many players in this game who leave their signs upon the ground so that they can be "summoned" into the players world, simply to help them. This fosters good will between complete strangers, and you can beat difficult bosses together without even exchanging a word, simply waving and bowing to each other to communicate your intent. In addition to this, many of the online aspects encourage the player to help out other players, as this rewards them and also gives them a good feeling of having helped out another player and returning the favor of the experienced players that helped them make it through the world. Overall, I believe this game to be a very valuable experience for an older child, around 12 or older, to undertake. I wouldn't go to much younger simply because of the complexity of the game, and perhaps the violence and sometimes dark and scary atmosphere of the game. For a child that can handle these, however, I would give me full recommendation, and I think children, adolescents, and adults alike can all benefit and have amazing fun playing this beautiful and challenging game.
Parent Written bykyle s. May 1, 2014

A challenging fun experience

As the first in the dark souls series it is very challenging but all in all it doesnt have alot of blood less than the last one, it has no talking apart from cutscenes so no swearing and no inappropriate things.As long as you or your child are not bothered by very hard games and failing/dieing alot it should be okay for any kid 12 and up. NOTES- -not a ton of violence just normal fantasy violence -no swearing -no inappropriate visuals -very hard not for someone who cant bear dieing/failing -lots of fun
Teen, 15 years old Written bykniroid April 5, 2014

Violence does not affect the quality of games!

Firstly, I just wanna say that violence of video games almost never affects their quality, and I really wish that common sense would understand this. Movies like the god-father a filled with violence, and are masterpieces. That being said, this game is wonderful. The tense combat sequences encourage finding the best method of slaying a beast without being hurt, so this game serves as a problem solving tool as well (although keep in mind its not designed to be that). Even the story itself ends up being a puzzle, but in a very good way. There can be as much story as you want there to be if you pay attention, or no story at all if you dont really care. The only swear words I have so far heard used are "Pr**k" and "B***tard". The biggest reason I suggest an older audience play this is the simple fact that it is hard. dying sees' you drop all of your EXP/money, and if you fail to retrieve it without another death, it is gone forever. Younger children wont cope with this well, and even I at the ripe age of 15 find myself getting a tad angry with how hard the game can be. But its difficulty is justified, and beating a boss is a very satisfying and rewarding event that leaves the player feeling on top of the world.
Teen, 14 years old Written byWAR567 March 20, 2014

NICE

Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Duckboy March 16, 2014

Occasional gore, but otherwise fine.

I don't own it personally, but but have played it. A fantastic dungeon crawler with novel plot line about regaining your humanity and so on. I would have rated it a lower age if not for the difficulty. This game is really hard.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDEMORA456 March 14, 2014

AWESOME

It's a really good game new bosses new everything it is left off from the end of the frist one the main hero dies in the first one and is reborn to save the world again you should try it and see if you like it.