I'll start off with how appropriate this game is, then get into the actual quality, and last I will talk about the difficulty, which deserves its own section. There is slight cleavage on some of the enemies, nothing too bad. In my 5 completions of the game I have heard no swearing whatsoever. There isn't any smoking, alcohol or drugs, or anything like that. Some of the monsters may be scary for younger kids (there aren't any jump-scares) but I doubt anyone below the age of 13 can get past the first two zones of this game (again, the difficulty). There aren't any real positive role-models or good messages in this game either. You never hear your character speak or choose what he says, and none of the NPCs are good role models, for different reasons.
You play as a Hollow, a cursed being who can never die but looses a bit of his soul each time he does. You have come to this land seeking a way to end the curse. You journey through forests, caves, and castles seeking a way to end the curse. I won't spoil anything, but for any more of the lore you need to dig to find the hints. The story isn't just given to you. Combat is fast-paced and one wrong move means death. Deaths can feel cheep at times, but it is supposed to be frustrating. Multiplayer is fun, weather it's Player VS Player or Co-op. You have the ability to join Covenants, which allow you to participate in different kinds of multiplayer and reward you for doing so. You can build your character into any combination. Literally everything is viable, and it all just depends on your preferences. The boss fights are varied and intense, from a human/scorpion hybrid to three skeleton lords to a massive dragon. There are secrets and hidden items, and you are heavily rewarded for taking the time to explore.
Now for the difficulty. This is the only reason I didn't make this review green 12. This game is designed specifically to make you break your keyboard or controller out of frustration. Here's how they do it:
1) Boss fights can feel extremely cheep
2) Traps, ambushes, and powerful enemies are everywhere. Running around without thought WILL get you killed.
3) The death system: When you die you go "hollow" and drop all your money at your death point. When you hollow you can not co-op and you have less max health. Each time you die your max health decreases. Also, if you die without getting your money, it is gone forever.
4) There is no tutorial or guide.
5) You can be invaded by other players at any time. Their job is to kill you.
I recommend this game to anyone who loves a challenge. This is possibly the best RPG I have ever played.