All member reviews for Dark Souls

Teen, 17 years old Written byWhatYouNeedToKnow October 30, 2011

What You Need To Know

Hello all! Back again to review another big name title! Dark souls! Whats it about? Its about an undead soldier who is "chosen" to save all the undead. Disturbing imagery - Its a pretty dark word full of demons and dragons. Some of the bosses are quite interesting looking. I wouldnt say disturbing more like "ew". One of the bosses is a partially naked lady, her hair covers the area of interest. Also one of the NPC's has verrryyy large....Ahem... while they are completely covered they are most definitely noticeable. Personally i think it is ridiculous how parents will let their kids play super violent games but if mildly suggestive clothing is in a game its an automatic NO. The thing parents have to realize is YOUR KIDS HAVE SEEN WORSE! Sorry for ranting. Violence - The game lets you use a variable arsenal of weapons all do different types of damage. Blood in this game is not noticeable enough to make a difference, it appears as a thin red cloud around the enemy. There is no gore, or hacking of limbs. There is also no option to turn it off. Difficulty - Alright, this is the ONLY reason i wouldnt suggest this game to younger players. It is extremely difficult! fighting enemies is tough and requires alot of thought and can prove to difficult for younger less patient kids. I have played over 50hrs and im not even a quarter of the way through it. So if you have a kid who doesn't like to die or extreme difficulty then stay clear of this game for now. Educational value - It teaches you how to think. How do i kill this boss? What armor is best for my character? It really makes the player think logically and feel out new enemies to find the best strategy. It really makes you think, one mistake can lead to HUGE repercussions. Personally i think its a life lesson one mistake can have bad repercussions. Over all i think its a great game! I certainly have had a lot of fun with it. It is extremely hard though and i would take this into consideration before buying. :) Hope this helped!
Teen, 17 years old Written bygrEEdo111 January 21, 2014

Play this if you think your a gamer (a serious one)

Dark souls is not for kids, simply for the reason that kids would not make it past the tutorial level. This may sound like a generalisation, but my estimate would be that 75% of the gaming community would struggle to make it past the tutorial without video walk through or the like, let alone children. Dark souls is truly a game made exclusively for the battle hardened video game veteran, the player who is willing to plunge into the heart of darkness, tumble into the inevitable well of defeat time and time again, and then, truly learn from their mistakes, grow from their experiences, and then stand up, fight the hoard, and emerge victorious finally. For those happy few who survive the ordeal, Dark Souls will almost certainly be one of the most spectacular, immersive, engrossing and ultimately satisfying gaming experiences you have ever taken part in. But come prepared. Prepared to die.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiwouldtrustme13 August 28, 2014

iwouldtrustme15

only reason that i rated this 15 is because its just the hardest game ever and unless you want your 10 year olds raging then i would make them wait nothing wrong with this game just really hard
Teen, 17 years old Written byPoopMagee January 28, 2014

Very hard and rewarding game. Hardly violent.

Dark Souls is a game that takes place during a dark time, and can easily depress people playing. This game can easily have a record for hardest game. The only note worthy factors are violence, and some partial nudity. Players use swords, bows, daggers, and other weapons to kill the undead. Players can often perform moves such as backstabs or parries which result in a huge amount of blood. Blood can be disabled by the player though, as the players has three options for blood display: ON(Shows blood) Mild(Turns blood black) and off(Disabling blood) and in some boss battles are strategically required to dismember enemies tales, or cut off their multiple heads.(Gargoyles, Dragons) and one character is depicted topless with just strands of hair covering her breasts.
Kid, 11 years old December 18, 2013

5 STARS UP

It's it's AMAZING!!!! i totally love it great RPG aside from skyrim.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySilentranger April 5, 2015

As long as the child realizes what they are doing...

I think it is fine for a mature 13 year old to play. The violence is not extreme, the skill-based combat will help your child's hand-eye coordination, and the difficulty will help their ability to solve problems. Where I was coming from in the name of the title is that your child must know that he/she is only playing a game. The game is indeed quite a dark piece of entertainment, and it can get to some people's minds. There is nothing that will traumatize anyone, but make sure your child is mature enough to know what is appropriate for real life and what is not. (They need to be able to discern real from fake)
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe gamer 5510 February 17, 2015

I started playing this after a played dark souls 2 i thought that was fine. This I think any teen and up can handle it. One of the reasons ESRB rated this hi is because it is bloody. But I always play this with the blood turned off and that makes it better. Now at the start there was a bloody dragon which I decided to skip the cutscene so if you turn the blood of then that will take it out of the gameplay but not the cutscenes I would say no sex drinking drugs or smoking. And for positive roll models your character is tying to save the world from a curse and you do have the option to attack innocent people but it will be hard to kill them, and if you do then usually there important later on in the game so you will have a much harder time beating the game. Last but not least this game is EXTREMELY HARD, but I don't agree with people that say the reason why it is for teens is because of the difficulty I think the difficulty has nothing to do with it, even if it is I'm 13 and I was able to beat DS 2, and a lot of bosses I'm able to beat on my first or second try. So if your kid is a teen and wants to get this game make sure that you no him/her well so so you can think about getting this game.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygame geek December 3, 2014

great but hard

this game as T rated blood and the first prince of Persia level of sexual content my 10 year old sister is aloud to play it but if your kid has no anger or mental problem it should be ok for them but my family is one that says video games like gta don't cause murder and violence that's caused by bad parenting it also helps kids to be persistent and not give up
Teen, 15 years old Written bySaad1Khan November 17, 2014

Enough cool!

I don't know why ESRB rated it M it is a lil bit gory than it's second part.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarksouls444 September 5, 2014

Good game but very hard for new gamers

It is a very good and well told RPG game ive played once and I couldn't beat the first area until I got enough souls (the currency and what you use to level up) to get a new weapon I played a heavy build tough for quick enemies but I beat it took me a while buy this! but not for younger kids also good role models if you want to help weaker people to stand up for themselves.
Kid, 11 years old July 5, 2014

Good But Hard

So With Me Being An eleven Year-Old I'm Just Fine Playing This Game (But I Haven't Played Much).
Kid, 10 years old June 4, 2014

Hard, but enjoyable

Dark souls is the sequel to 'demon souls' which is notorious for its difficulty. Dark souls has an option to turn blood of or mild which can reduce the gore. There is a bloody h*ll in there and a sword called the b*****d sword. Overall, this is an extremely difficult game, but reward places with an unexplainable feeling when the beat the boss they have been stuck on.
Teen, 17 years old Written byScreamingAngel June 1, 2014

My Thoughts on Dark Souls and a Reminder

So, Dark Souls gets a INAPPROPRIATE FOR ALL seal, right? Is it really that bad? Let me tell you, it isn't. Sure, there's plenty of scary and gruesome monsters as well as a topless(albeit not nipple-revealing) spider lady and Princess Gwynevere(who simply a giant lady with a revealing outfit) but it really isn't that bad. It's a really fun game too! Even though it's really hard, it isn't unbeatable, and, while I myself have not beaten the game, it's pretty fun for me. Anyway, to the point. Dark Souls, compared to its inspiration, is as tame as Dora the Explorer. What is its inspiration, you may ask? Why, nothing else than the manga Berserk, which is, by all means, inappropriate for anyone under the age of 18. If you want to know why, you can find out. But I warn you, it is the most gruesome, ugliest, darkest, and scariest fantasy world to my knowledge. Even Westeros is less grim than it. That's just how terrible it is. However, if you really want to, you can look for it. Don't say I didn't warn you, though.
Teen, 15 years old Written bypitatron May 8, 2013

GREAT IN DEPTH RPG IS VERY DIFFICULT...

Dark Souls is amazing. The only problem that turns many people away from the game is its extreme difficulty. The game deals with dark ideas and concepts. The game is centered on you, an undead that is awaiting the end of world. You manage to escape the Undead Asylum and now you are sent on a quest to remove this curse on the undead. The game is 100% focused upon the dead. You form of currency are called Souls. You travel to many areas that reak with death. You venture through catacombs, a giant tomb, rotten sewers and some ruins. All these areas are coated from head to teow with dead bodies, skulls and skeletons. There is plenty of blood in the game. Supprisingly there is very little blood on environments. There is lots of blood in the combat. If blood is an issue however, you can turn the blood off all the way. There is little to no gore in the game, despite the fact that the game reads blood and gore. The only gorey part in the game is a part where you fight a Hydra. This hydra has 7 heads and can only be defeated by cutting all 7 heads off. When you cut one off there will be a red stub with a bone sticking out. There is no swearing or drugs or alcohol. There is a scene of breif nudity however. There is boss fight that features a women with a spider body. The only thing that covers her breasts is her long black hair. It is not too inappropriate however because her toroso is quite high up and the camera focuses on the spider part of her. The only reason this game gets it age 16 and up is because of the dark creepy atmosphere this game has. The world feels empty and dead, yet it feels full of life. The monsters and bosses in this game are very disturbing. There is a dragon that has a giant mouth on it chest, 6 legs, 4 wings and is very long. There are lots of demon related monsters and bosses. This game also gets it 16 and above rating because it very difficult. It will not hold your hand and has a quite difficult tutorial. Despite being very hard, you want to play constantly, because you progress further and further as you go along. The game is very strict and punishing, but is increadibly addicting and fun once you get into it. If you have the time and patience to pull through this hard game, then get it. It is probably the most in depth RPG of this generation. So if you are interested and allowed to get this game, I highly suggest it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykniroid May 22, 2012

LEARNING

zawesome

basically, if you can let your kids watch "lord of the rings" and they are okay with that, they can play this game. it is a very good game that teaches children to learn from there mistakes. while i do admit it is a hard game, its possible. you just gotta learn all the tricks, and once your kid beats one of the bosses, he will feel like he is on top of the world (i say "he" because i dont think many girls play this game.)