All teen and kid member reviews for DC Universe Online

Teen, 16 years old Written byOverLordGoldDragon March 26, 2013

Pure Epicness

My favorite all time game. Best in-game combat/mechanics physics. NOT what trailer/pics suggest. Only better. The only inappropriate stuff that might be are in versus or shout chat. Nothing else. Just pure epicness.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGriffin3150 May 18, 2015

Most content is excellent, while some of it is so-so

DC Universe Online is a great game, and my 9-year-old brother and I had a very good time playing it. Most content was okay for him, but there a few words that I heard (a**, d*mn, and b*stard) which were a little bit iffy for him. D*mn is repeated several times throughout the course of the game, and I only heard a** once when I accidentally landed on someone. B*stard is even more rare, and I was only told it was there by a friend. The people who play the game and people who message each other can be extremely inappropriate with their language, however. If young kids put information about themselves into their character when they create it, it can be a privacy concern, but as long as you talk to your kids about not putting personal information in their character, they should be fine. Violence is mostly okay, but kids should be aware that the game has it anyways. The heroes (Wonder Woman, Superman, etc) are very good role models for kids, while the Joker and Lex Luthor and Harley Quinn are not good role models. Most of them encourage killing.
Kid, 12 years old August 3, 2013

BEST GAME ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DC universe online is my favourite game on earth. It is worldwide and millions play it. Braniac (An enemy of Superman) is invading the earth, both heroes and villains fight the invasion of Braniac and his robot hordes. In the first level you have broken out of your captivity prison in one of Braniac's space ships. At the end of the first level you fight the space ship guardian, a tall muscular green and grey robot that you must fight in order to escape the ship. You can build and customize your characters and you level them up, as you level them up your character becomes more powerful. If your a hero you can fight real villains that are hanging around downtown, once I spotted Killer Croc hanging around in Gotham! And a villain, you fight heroes. You can fight other heroes or villains mostly online. There is no gore at all. Some cartoony images of Gotham villains and criminals smoking or at a bar/nightclub drinking. No swearing aswell. Kids 10&under might not understand the complex synopsis and tasks though, overall its perfectly safe!
Teen, 13 years old Written byI-brake-4-Urgals November 6, 2011

Not quite what I expected...

Like 50% of people (at this time), I say pass. As far as appropriateness goes, it should be fine for most tweens and teens I think, but I haven't played much of It. As far as I can tell, commonsense got most of the content issues correct. Now about the game: This is a button masher for sure, like most super hero games. It's full of glitches and flaws, and very very boring. The whole create a super hero/villan and play is a great concept that I have wanted in a video game for YEARS, and haven't found until this. They executed that pretty well. I would have liked a little more customization, especially when that's half the point of the game. When you get to the game (which by the way took many attempts to boot, one of the many glitches and technical issues, on top of the several hour setup, and it takes long loading periods anyway) it's just quite frankly one of the worst games I have had the misfortune of playing in my lifetime. On the 'tutouriol' level where you're escaping from a prison/holding cell (not like a convict, but where the villans were holding my character, or something. It was hard to follow), it was kind of hard to figure out what to do (partly on account of my tiny screen). I had to fight HORDES of guards, and never once came near dying, despite having to figure out controls and such (it was a download, had no manual, but they popped up instructions on screen occasionally). The bad guys took MANY hits (even simple 'weaker' ones) with my automatic rapid fire rifle to die. Not always a bad thing, but on this game it adds to the button masher effect. After beating the 'tutorial' type level, you go to the 'headquarters', which is your home from that point on. It's like a big super-hero base, with all the recourses (your messages, a shop, other people etc.). It's pretty hard to figure out all the stuff there, such as merchants you have to get in good with to buy stuff from, 'banks' to view inventory, and lots of other stuff. It kept telling me to go to gotham to continue my mission, but I had no idea how, and it sure wasn't telling me. I tried the map, but it didn't help. Finally I found something (out of the HUNDREDS of different things to do that are mostly just different looking ways or locations to launch the same type of merchant/menu or whatever) and it happened to be a portal type thing. It took me somewhere (it didn't tell me where it would take me. In fact, it didn't even tell me what it was. Like everything else, it just said 'hold circle' and when I did, it did it's thing), and I later found out it was metropolis a, metropolis police department. I tried to find another portal thing, besides the one that I assume brought me there, and wandered into the streets. There were more pointless menus and stuff, and some badguys (that had nothing to do with any kind of story, as far as I could tell, just sporadically placed). I thought "hey, more button mashing that lasts forever". I was in for a suprise. I couldn't take down 1 basic thug without dying, and after that not more than 1, even though they had, well, fists. And I had my rapid fire rifle. Big change from the last level. I started exploring, going to the ONLY land mark on the map besides what I thought was the teleporter back, and a few pointless mini games. I finally got close, and there was an invisible barrier that was the end of the map, so I couldn't really go over there. Then I went over a little, and then I couldn't find EITHER arrow or dot on the minimap. There were a few 'distressed civillians' and thugs randomly placed on top of skyscrapers or on the streets, and apparently some kind of brawl going on (that also didn't do anything to progress me, just seemed kind of random like everything else). One distressed citizen was saying something about losing something. He said 'now what do I have left, my wife?' and then I held circle, and he said something like 'it's alright, I'll get a new horse' and I got some XP. A little more aimlessly wandering, and I gave up. This game is just frustrating. Also seems pretty pointless right now. I may try again later if I can get it to start up (the only game I have problems with). Maybe it'll start me somewhere where I'll know what I'm doing, I didn't save, but I don't know. All this with the glitches, and just overall boring effect of the game, it seems pretty pointless. I mean REALLY boring, even when you are doing something (like the tutorial). Any Batman or Superman etc. fan in they're right mind will want it, and may enjoy it. But coming in neutral (as far as DC, MARVEL or whatever, but very excited about the game mind you), I wasn't for or against it, so the problems shone more. If you're on the fence or aren't sure you or your kid can play it as far as content, just skip it and don't waste the time or money. I only have it because my brother got it free. He says he likes it, but that's just because he likes DC (Batman addict ;)). He can't argue with what I say. EDIT ADDED LATER: It gets worse. All the heroes can climb walls and it animates it like they're running up it half the time, the other half poorly animated climbing that doesn't change angle with bends in the building. Also, anyone who doensn't fly can do this poorly animated double jump with super fast sprinting (not quite as fast as if you chose 'super speed'), and glide, barely dropping, almost like flying. Not neccasarily bad, just unrealistic. The whole 'ONLINE' part does nothing to add to the game really. Almost NO interaction, you just kinda see others. All it does is add that several hour inintial load time I mentioned, add to the load times, and add the monthly fee (which I think they quit charging, so I didn't have to pay it, or maybe doesn't apply to PS Plus members or something, I don't know). All I can say is, I hate it this much, and it was FREE, I can't IMAGINE someone actually paying 60+ bucks for this, and paying FEES to keep playing! Plus, the game discs (if you get it in physical copy) are one time use, and tied to whatever account that initially used it. Try and save money and buy it used, you get burnt. And like they said, the controls are simple. My hero (who has a rifle) has 2 combat animations. Press triangle, and he will slowly walk around shooting (and if you hold L1 to lock on, then he hits even if he's backwards) and press square to use secondary attacks, which is basically melee, he will hit people with his gun a few different ways. Not neccasarilly the most advanced combat they could have given a super hero game. I hope the other powers are better made. In closing, I know it's apparently free to downlod now _at least for PS Plus members_ so you may can try it for yourself (like I said, I can't imagine the poor people who pre ordered this, or worse, the expensive special edition, and then paid fees, and couldn't sell it because of the one time use. WHAT A RIPOFF! I wouldn't play this game if they PAID me to). They could have done alot better with it, and I wish they had, because, like I said, I have wanted a game where you customize and play with a super hero since I was like 6, and saw the concept on a cartoon, and have searched for one since, leading up to this. Thanks for your patience and for taking time to read this review (or just skim through it). I hope it helps!
Kid, 9 years old October 11, 2013

great for comic loving kids

Teen, 14 years old Written byBionic Reviewer February 8, 2013

Fun romp through the iconic cities.

Me and another friend my age play this game online together, generally the only thing to beware is the community of players. The Hero faction generally has very immature, impolite, and inappropriate users roaming the streets. I've heard better things about the Villains faction (which strikes me as very ironic), but I think most kids would prefer working with Superman and Batman instead of the Joker and Lex Luthor. Violence happens a lot in the game, via Weapon Combo attacks performed with the mouse buttons (tap tap hold, tap hold, etc) and Super Abilities activated by pressing the number keys on your keyboard. Players can also lift up barrels with different abilities (some freeze your foes, others simply explode, etc) and even vehicles, should they choose to train the Superstrength ability at level 22. No one ever dies, however. They will invariably fall on their sides (where they still breathe) and disappear after a few seconds. Characters can be blasted off buildings or drop out of flight mode, but they will take no fall damage. There isn't much to worry about here in the larger sense, but a few details: One instanced area where the villain Brother Blood must be defeated is a hospital with blood pooling on the ground (and dropping from the ceiling) and piles of cartoonish gore in the hallways. This instance can be skipped, and nothing will be lost except for a cutscene and an achievement or two. Some cutscenes that are gained upon defeating a boss can be disturbing. A few examples to look out for are Doctor Psycho, Brother Blood, Harley Quinn (though not as bad as the other two), and Scarecrow (the first main villain for Batman-mentored players). The trailer depicts Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman being killed by their archenemies in the near future. The game is set years before this, though, and a time-travelling supervillain (the future's Lex Luthor) actually aids the Justice League by releasing nanobots to create an army of new Heroes to defeat Brainiac, the games primary villain. It's DC. The Superheroines are relegated to wearing skintight and/or revealing costumes. Beware of Circe, Power Girl, Wonder Woman, and just about every other female character out their. All in all, it's a great Superhero game. If not for the costumes of the female characters (featured prominently in the loading screens), then this would be ages 10+ in my book.