All member reviews for Dead Space 2

Very scary shooter with severe violence, gore, and cussing.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Parent Written byMarkus Summers June 20, 2011

A scary outer space shooter is filled with intense violence and gore, but hides some problem solving and educational undertones.

Out of all the video games I've ever seen, this is the most deserving of the rating "M." The language is an issue, and the violence and action will literally make you want to kill everything that moves at any loud, sudden noise after a few hours of play. I play this game on the computer with my son (going on 13.) We both have experienced the thought I just mentioned, and believe me, it isn't good. My son and I learned to limit our play time, and then it became one of our favorite after school games. He likes to look up the way the "necromorphs" act, what kind of people are used to create them. (sick people make "pukers" pregnant people make "pregnants" and your average Joe becomes a "slasher" just to name a few.) He looks up strategies to kill them, and grasps the whole "strategic dismemberment" concept. I am a little worried about how easily he tears the zombies apart, but he's not experiencing any symptoms of prolonged play that I haven't felt myself, and i find the necromorphs very interesting. Swearing is a huge problem, but ask yourself, if you were alone on a space ship where the entire crew has become zombies, would you swear a lot as well? My son hasn't used any language in front of me, so I'm not too worried. Aside from the violence and swearing, the game is very emotional. My son and I get tense while walking through a dark hallway, scream when something jumps out, get mad as we get betrayed, use problem solving skills and intuitive thinking to get past malfunctioning machinery, and get teary eyed alongside isaac as he awaits his death. We've fallen in love with main characters isaac clarke and Ellie langsford, who display good teamwork and heroism. The bottom line is this game is fine if you limit your playtime.
Kid, 10 years old June 18, 2011

haven't played it but I have it. might save it 'till i'm older. Great game so I have heard!

I have not played this game yet but it looks super scary, gory, bloody and well anything else that you can think of. I think that starwars reviewer's review is complpetely correct and he has all the right details about the common sense person who wrote the review above. I have this game and it looks really really fun (I haven't played it yet.) I think this game should be for older kids becuase I have seen gameplay and it's bloody and gory and dthe deaths of isaac (your character) and the necremorphes ( not sure if I spelled that right) are super gruesume. But Isaac has to stay alive so it's not his fault that he has to kill aliens in a "violent mater" and I think the review up there is a little over the top. I think this is a really good game (so I have heard. P.S. sorry for all the parenthesis.) Know how mature your child is and if he gets scared of blood or creepy creatures and yes i'm putting it that way. Hope you enjoyed and thanks for your review starwars review
Adult Written bycrazypyro June 4, 2011

Bloody good fun for everyone!

Allow me to explain my little bubbles of insight. Or whatever they are. Educational: Kids are taught the dangers of the world, and why they should stay inside with mommy and daddy dearest. Unless they know all of the back story...in which mommy and daddy dearest are Unitologists... Positive Messages: Isaac is trying to escape and live. Living is good. Surviving is good. You people are so stuck on the gore you miss the rest of it. Role Models: Well, there's only a few characters in the game. Isacc, the hero. The bloodthirsty necromorphs trying to murder everyone. And the a-hole humans trying to control the necromorphs. Give you a clue, one is a role model, the other is a nightmare, and the third is a metaphor to human meddling Violence: Keyword here is excessive. You think it's dead, you rough it up a bit, just to make sure. Better than it coming back after you. And stabbing? What game was the reviewer playing? I wish you could stab, but you can't. Sex: I gotta laugh at this one. Sex, seriously? Maybe if Nicole wasn't dead. (That's Isaac's girlfriend...killed in game 1) Language: Ok, what would you say if a twelve foot monster impales the guy you were just talking to, throws him to the ground, and starts coming after you? Dearie me? Product Placement: Every Dead Space piece of purchasable merchandise can be found! The plasma cutter, the space suit, they even have places to buy things! Those corporate scumbags!!! Drugs: Last time I checked, a medpack isn't a drug. Just like a band-aid Safety: Actually, kind of. I played this game, and later that night I didn't feel super safe.
Teen, 15 years old Written byHenryreview May 21, 2011

i like the game!kinda hard thogh!
Teen, 17 years old Written byJezza748 April 23, 2011

I fiind this game as an exciting introduction into the world of horror gaming (Dead Space being the FIRST horror game, which then lead me to Dead Space 2.) Being a 17 year old myself I do agree that it IS a gory and violent game, but that is what the developers made it to be. It's suitability for those younger than 16, is poor as it depicts a very unusual and horrifying situation in which violence IS a major part. But, it's still a good game nevertheless and I would recommend it to those over 16 or to whom could handle/enjoy these types of games.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDan the man20000 April 18, 2011

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.

A terrifing game. But good graphics and a great story.
Parent of a 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byGimmick February 27, 2011

This is the most gory game EVER!

I have to admit dead space 2 is as gory as hell, if you like that sort of thing, you are going to LOVE this game. However, this game is NOT to be played by Kids and teens. Expect copious amounts of gore, language and scares! The atmosphere is so tense, it makes resident evil look like Scooby doo. Also there is the multiplayer, this is one of the best multiplayer games since MW2. The fact you can decapitate other people online is highly amusing and invigorating. All in all this is one of the best (goriest) games of the decade, up high with the likes of mass effect 2, MW2 and halo reach.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydessorcrats February 26, 2011

It's not scary at all. This game has got nothing on Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Teen, 16 years old Written byShinigami1994 February 23, 2011

One of the most amazing games to ever grace any game system.

This game is beyond amazing. I have never been more simultaneously terrified and invigorated in my life then when I play this game. What you need to know going in is, even by horror standards, this game is extraordinarily gory. Expect every encounter with a Necromorph to include one or more of the following: dismemberment, decapitation, impalings, combustion, evisceration, stabbing, and much more. This game is incredibly violent, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The violence is necessary to convey the terror. It bothers me that CSM can't see that. Also, they mention that Isaac uses violence to get out of intense situations. What else do you expect? We're talking about mindless abominations that want nothing more than to kill and breed. How would you recommend taking care of the problem? Anyway, the graphics are stellar, the atmosphere makes Resident Evil look cute, and the overall experience is positively riveting. The variety of weapons and powers that can be used keeps combat fresh and interesting. You may have to pause the game and put it down for a half hour every once in a while, but it's thoroughly enjoyable. This game is not for kids or young teens, but if you've got a strong stomach, dive in and enjoy.
Adult Written byXboxrules360 February 23, 2011

I love the game but its very bloody, very scary,and uses a lot of mature language.
Teen, 15 years old Written bypoopasnoopa February 6, 2011

It's OK

Well, consider this, blood is what you need to survive, OK? Why is blood and injuries considered inappropriate? It even happens to us. If adults cared that much about blood and injuries, they wouldn't even have kids. I must admit though, this game is pretty violent. It just teaches kids how to be careful in the future and not be involved in this kind of violence. So overall, this game is violent, but anyone over 13 can play.
Teen, 15 years old Written byXboxmaster356 February 3, 2011

not so mellow =(

This game is gross and sick! and not the good type for gamers and I am 15...... shocking.........
Teen, 13 years old Written byAll Time Low Fanatic February 3, 2011

Awsome

The best game ever! When else do you fight aliens
Teen, 17 years old Written bylemonade stand January 28, 2011

Delightfully terrifying...

Me, being a foul-mouthed kid, found this game to be delightfully terrifying. It looks, sounds, and plays great. However, It's definitely one of those games that you need to be ready to play. Like, if I were to pick this up when I was 15, I would have probably put it back down and never picked it back up. So I recommend downloading the free demo from the xbox marketplace or the playstation store, so you can get a taste of it or see if it would be good for you to buy it or if your kids are ready for it. But keep in mind that the demo is still very mild compared to the full game. Just keep in mind that the language is really bad, and there are a lot of disturbing images far beyond what I would classify as "Violent." Overall, I am glad to have bought it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMysterious Stranger January 26, 2011

Not for the faint of heart... or small children

This game, is great, maybe not to some, but to many (such as myself) this game is very entertaining (despite the gore and violence such as beating down necromorph children or stomping on necromorph babies.) The game itself contains two discs, so yes a considererably long and possibly frightening game for some, but overall a great game...for anyone above fourteen or so, or any kid who's mature enough no to go running around hitting kids or people, or babies for that matter, saying he or she is Isaac Clarke and is killing necromorphs...
Kid, 10 years old January 26, 2011

OVER THE TOP VIOLENCE AND DANG SCARY!

Dead Space 2 is a very very violent game and really scary. You play as a man named Isaac trying to stop a zombie like alien invasion. Even though your a good guy it is awfully gory and brutal. I shot an alien with my gun and its arm blew off and buckets of blood spilled out. Pretty much every where you shoot your alien friends they lose body parts and scream. Like I said super bloody. The language is bad to. Some of the words are: f**k, D word, B word, sh*t, mother fu**er, a**hole, hell and I think I heard sh*thole a couple of times. Mostly has amazing controls, but sometimes it can be difficult. Dead Space 2 also has a good story. I think it is worth for you to if you are at least not younger than 14. I think that is the best age to get it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byshooter guru January 25, 2011

I played the first dead space game and was blown away at how good (and scary) it was. I went out and bought this one the day it came out. And man is it good! This game balances action with nail biting terror nearly perfectly. From blowing your first necomorph to fleshy pieces till the first time u see those creepy ass little white duds. Though that said this game is not for the faint of heart and should be kept well away from anyone under 14. Even then it's kind of sketchy. If your teen is mature and knows the difference between reality and a game then he (or maybe she) should be fine with this game. A final word of worning though, don't play this game in the dark, and look behind u!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byHedgieguy11 January 25, 2011

FREAKING SCARY

Lots of blood, and decapitations, but infrequent. Mostly, you are having visions, very scary noises and exploration.