Parent reviews for Doom Eternal

Bloody good shooter for adults with strong stomachs.

Wondering if Doom Eternal is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byDanTheMan1234 March 20, 2020

Great game! Can get intense though

This game has the same gameplay mechanics as other games of the franchise and uses these to great effect. In this game you play as the “Slayer” who is tasked with cleansing earth of the demons from hell who have taken control. It is a very high impact and quite violent first person shooter that moves fluidly and has a great sense of progression. Another thing that I would like to lightly touch on is the sound track. Now I personally am really in to heavy metal music and to me this original soundtrack is one of the best I have ever heard. This doesn’t matter all that much in the review but it is definitely something that should be brought up.

The Doom series is known for its gore and this game doesn’t stray away from that aspect in the slightest. You have many different weapons such as a shotgun, chainsaw, your fists and your boots. The game gives you an option to perform what’s called “glory kills“ which are just different animations for killing these demons that are quite gory but are only shown for a short amount of time and if wanted can be avoided as a whole. If you do play using glory kills though they can be anything from dismemberment to decapitation. These demons have very little resemblance to anything human-like.

Although it may seem like this game is all about destroying demons, there is a large amount of puzzle solving involved in the game as well. These puzzles can be challenging but I wouldn’t say they are to difficult for anyone upwards of the age of 12. Now this is not to say that if you are 12 the game is suitable for you. There is still a large amount of high intensity violence that comes with it.

Overall, this is a great game that has a lot to do within it. From the puzzles to the punishing of these hell demons there isn’t much to fault within it. My personal recommendation is 15+ but it really matters about how mature you child is and how you think they would handle things such as gore and violence.

Adult Written byRobert J. July 18, 2020

Bloody but fantastic shooter

I am a professional IMDb age reviewer of games and the reason I am using commonsense media is that I don't want younger teens to miss out on this fantastic game. I also part of the PEGI corporation. I was one of many people to give this game PEGI 18 for gross violence towards humanoid characters. This is Excellent. A fantastic environment with fast-paced combat! This game would be terrifying if it weren't for the heavy metal music. An ample amount of parents I have talked to think this is a horror game with horrific monsters and whatnot. I don't think that is true. The game perfectly illustrates the essence that you are a god trying to save earth from certain peril. The game is extremely gory. Chainsaws are you used to dismember demons. there is a spray of blood. This game is MUCH less violent than its predecessor. The spray of blood and the game's gore, unlike its predecessor, has a very very vibrant and comical feel. The blood is a vivid red color and the monsters look much more vibrant rather than gloomy, unlike Doom 2016. Doom 2016 also contains realistic looking blood and gore. There is no gore present unless you do glory kills which is necessary to experience the great combat of doom. I think the violence feels more satisfying rather than horrific and gnarly. The violence is brief and you quickly kill demons only to move to the next one. Also when you kill a demon the bodies vanish quickly. The violence, in my opinion, is 9/10. If you want an equivalent of 9/10 violence, look at movies and video games like 1917, Batman Knight, Assassin's Creed Odyssey. There are no other issues present.

Adult Written byGamerdude12 November 1, 2020

Doom, the gory game to end all shooters.

While the game is gory and violent, if you know your child and are aware of his maturity level than this should be an easy pick. If your child does happen to be more mature and is around 11-12-13 then this game should be a YES, just make sure that he/she is aware of the content in the game.

Adult Written bythegrumpygrunt May 24, 2020

Your kid will love it

If you're the kind of person that doesn't believe in sheltering kids from the world, this game is great. It's a fun shooter. Lots of gore, but it's cartoonish in a sense. It's nothing traumatizing and your kids won't become psychopaths from playing it. No micro transactions which is great so you get what you pay for. It's a great game for anyone who's played a shooter game before. Kids that are younger or haven't really played games like this before will likely struggle at some points though. Luckily you can adjust the difficulty.
Adult Written byKarenJarvis November 22, 2020

Entertaining and fun for my kids

My kids play this game all the time, and have a lot of fun each time. I constantly hear laughing and "Aw man, one more try." The game is a little bit gory at some points, but unless your child has a weak stomach, its a fine game.
Adult Written byTyler123ak20 September 14, 2020

TV shows are temporary but Doom is eternal...

I don't see anything wrong with killing demons. It's Doom, so there not whole alot of story, but you kill demons, and that a very Christian thing to do
Adult Written byCODsucksXD July 27, 2020

Great shooter. Fun Story. Not for tweens or kids, but definitely for teens and up.

The new installment of the DOOM franchise is a sweet ride. Thought the story there are sick showdowns against demons, challenging platforming and parkour sections, and lots of secrets and collectibles to find in the levels.

The main thing about this game is the gory and violent demon fights. Could be too scary and like intense for smaller kids. Teens will definitely love it though. Barely no one talks, so theres no profane language, and no sex or anything like that.

Highly recommend

Adult Written byJMathers812 July 27, 2020

Gory but managable

Doom Eternal is a cinematic masterpiece and by all accounts a great game. The gore, a Doom staple, is ever-present. Using a variety of weapons, like a shotgun, pistol, chain gun, and even a chainsaw. You shoot, cut, punch, and blow apart demons at every turn, and most of the demons are humanoids, but it is clear that they are not humans. Later on, the demons are much less humanoid and more like a monster. The violence towards the humanoid demons is akin to the violence against Orcs in The Lord of the Rings, but more graphic. The demons can be blown apart into chunks as well as decapitated and eviscerated. The environment and story can be frightening to some younger players.

As with everything else, think about your child, and how mature they are, and how they react to things of this nature. Ensure to have a talk with your child about the difference between the game and reality, and make sure they understand they should not emulate the game in real life. Make sure they understand what they do in the game is not okay to do in real life. Overall, an enjoyable but graphic game that should be fine for mature 15 or 16-year-olds.

Adult Written byryanfujismells July 18, 2020

Best game in the series and of the year!

If your a fan like me, this game is just for you. Bosses are great, Slayer is awsoume, EVERY BIT OF IT IS AWSOUME!!! This brighten 2020 up a lt for me. LOVE THIS GAME!

Adult Written byEmerald111 June 24, 2020

One of the best games ever

If your kids can handle gore and a little bit of language then if they want it get it i bet your 12 year old would love it if they could stomach the gore

Adult Written bylunarwrvld April 11, 2020

Great game.

Adult Written bylazur4rate April 5, 2020

its perfect for teens who can understand to not do the actions in the game

it has a great story but some where in the game it says bad words
its gory thats the problem

Adult Written byfoolshand March 31, 2020

Doom crushing it

Doom Eternal is an amazingly crafted first person shooter. The game play is fast and difficult, and id did an excellent job of incorporating an interesting story into the game. It is there but if you are not interested in it you can easily skip all story aspects. If you enjoy difficult mayhem and being challenged play ultra- violence and up. If you want easy mayhem, play the difficulty lower. Very fun game I love it. If you have teens that you want to experience doom from the past made a new this is it, but it is very violent. Rip and tear and enjoy.
Adult Written byVaultBoy76 March 25, 2020

Depends on maturity, but utterly amazing

This game is utterly amazing. The game channels all the vibes from Doom 2016 and fixes and improves everything to the point where it’s almost flawless. It’s entertaining and keeps you on the edge of your seat because it’s so engaging and it’s a pretty hard game as well, so you really try not to die. It’s gory, but depending on your maturity level, you should be fine. No cussing though, and Doom Guy can be seen as a positive role model as well from a different perspective.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byJames472 March 23, 2020

Ultra Violent, Ultra Stylistic

Doom: Eternal is a soft remake of Doom 2, a very popular first person shooter from 1994. There isn’t a whole lot to talk about as far as mature content, because it’s only violence, but dang is it violent. There’s blood and gore by the bucketload, and this makes sense. You are killing demons trying to take over earth, after all, so there will be blood a plenty. But, despite how gory it is, there are 2 major factors that take this from being a horrible, graphic murder simulator to a fun, stylish action game. First off, your fighting some of hells most dangerous demons, so they look about as human as your mother in law looks friendly. This clear divide not only distances you from it’s world to make it less realistic, but also makes your actions seem justified, as these guys are pretty clearly trying to kill you. Also, the style. You’ll constantly be double jumping, rock climbing, and grappling all over the environment, all to a head banging hard rock soundtrack. This makes the game seem more like a rhythm game. In fact, a good way of thinking of it is like a fast pace dance routine. If you stop to admire the gore, boom. Your dead. Just as in dance, admiring your partner will make you fall in your face, admiring your carnage in doom will do the same for you. Because of this, I feel that a mature 13 or 14 year old can handle it, but most kids won’t end up with it due to religious issues.