All member reviews for Dragon Age: Origins

Deep but very violent fantasy role-playing game.

Adult Written bytellmeastory November 8, 2009

Know your kid before lettign them play. No age limit just a maturity limit!

Gaming is getting to a point where the number of choices may soon be as numerous as those in life. Among the choices in this game are things that we would like to hope our children would turn down in real life or at very least while they remain children and teens. The game may show that these choices do not have dire consequences. For a child who has trouble separating reality from their virtual world this may be a problem. Additionally, certain aspects of the game are unavoidable such as the gratuitous killing and the nudity and provocative dress of the other characters. This can lead unprepared children to form incorrect assumptions. Even the most mature kid should be guided through their first time playing such a game. I recommend a parent child activity of going through this game. Try to get involved and show that the game is just a pastime and has no bearing on real life. Talk about things they seem confused about. No need to make it awkward; just engage in light conversation. "So why did you choose that way of talking to that person? Maybe this would have made them like you more." Stay alert for signs of being affected by the game such as mimicry of some of the more provocative parts. all that said I think no age can be put on when this game begins to be appropriate. A birthday doesn't make someone more mature it doesnt even make them a year older. Once someone has their birthday they are just a day older. Someone who is "A year younger" may infact be only 1 day behind. 1 day does not make a difference on whether anyone is ready for something. As will be my position for all of the posts on this website my answer will always be: it depends. As a parent one must make decisions on what is ok for their child. But I do not believe that that decision should be impacted by age. Perhaps as a success story of a very liberal outlook on exposure of children I may be biased. At a certain point my parents felt (after many conversations where I handled myself like an adult while discussing 'adult' topics) that I was capable of handling anything they were. I watched some violence with my dad and didn't become an axe murderer. I saw nudity and didn't become a sexual deviant. Parenting is about knowing your kid and what they are ready for irrespective of their age or what their peers are doing. I have one child who I do not feel comfortable letting play certain games and another two years younger who I do. This game can be played by a 2 year old if they are 'ready' and I would do my best to take it away from a 20 year old who it would harm. Know your kids limits. Test things slowly and see how they react.
Parent Written byPlague December 15, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins

Funniest game i've played in a long time. Storyline is fantasic and stays interesting until the end, and the characters you are able to play are all fun (personally I like playing the dwarfs). You'll never get bored as you fight ferocious enemies and work with others to bring peace back to the world.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byraybrooks July 30, 2010
My son loves it. I think this is ok if your child already plays video games.
Adult Written byJester™ July 12, 2014

Mature RPG is too Complex for Early Teens

Dragon Age: Origins is one of those rare gems in gaming that reveals the developers passion for their world, story and game. I've stated it's complex because a large portion of the game (>30%) takes place in conversations (as is traditional for Bioware games) where the player will have a number of options to reply. The game also delves into politics and is very lore-heavy. This game should definitely not be played by students during exam time; it'll steal a lot of time from your studies. The only real concern for parents would be the games violence. Dragon Age: Origins is designed as a dark, action-RPG and that's exactly what it is. The combat is frequent, the player and their companions will become coated in blood as will the environment. Foes are decapitated and blood is plentiful. The mechanics for the combat require a level of tactical thinking and familiarity with strategy games to master, especially on the higher difficulties. Sex and language is minimal. There are semi-frequent sexual references but mostly in the form of innuendo designed to be humorous and not taken seriously. The only other concern for some parents might be the heavy focus on spirits and demons. A lot of the enemies in the game are demons of varying varieties and the main antagonist is "The Archdemon". All in all, Dragon Age; Origins is a fantastic game with an impressive amount of content. The combat gets slow at times but the depth of the characters and the story development more than makes up for any of its flaws. Well worth the 40+ hours it takes to complete. (*NOTE* the OFLC classification for Dragon Age: Origins is MA15+ for Strong Violence) Jester's Rating: 9/10
Parent of a 10 year old Written bydrolma August 16, 2010

Parent's Beware: Storylines include rape and prostitution

I was almost going to let my mature 10 year old play this, but I decided to play through all the beginning sequences to make sure it was suitable. The elf and dwarf starting sequences were not for young minds. The female dwarf beginning starts you off as a prostitute. Nothing is shown, but it is actively discussed by your character & her boss. The female elf start is absolutely NOT ok for kids. The women elves all get swept away to be raped by the arl's son & his friends. One of the elves is gang raped. The scene is not shown, but it IS discussed in gameplay as more than innuendo. I still wasn't sure about letting my son play the game if he played the tamer storylines (human or mage), but the desire demon scene was more than just a topless demon & sealed the deal. I googled the scene to remind myself of why I thought the content wasn't appropriate and in the first few seconds not only is she topless but she runs her hand over her breast seductively. So, feel free to seek the scene out on the web, it's available.
Parent of a 1, 2, and 4 year old Written byZero Tolerance March 20, 2010

An excellent game which handles "mature" themes well.

Let's get a few things out of the way. Next to Arkham Aslyum, this is perhaps the best game of 2009 (Uncharted 2? Not impressive considering the MGS series). That said, this is indeed a "mature" game, and I honestly believe that this game handles "mature" themes in just that sense, as opposed to the sensational spectacles of games like GTA. Addressing the "questionable" material, I think that with good parental supervision, teens (not tweens) can handle this game. With the exception of a rare special decapitation animation during fighting, the violence in this game could pass for a T rated game. There is plenty of blood, but nothing silly or outrageous like the rivers seen in anime movies. Correcting the Common Sense review, I remember encountering two Desire Demons, who wear something akin to pasties over their nipples. They are succubi, so explaining to your child what a succubi is (and the corruption/sin associated with such sexuality), this should not be alarming to you. It is *supposed* to be arousing (otherwise, they would be sorry excuses for succubi). Those are good teaching moments in the game. There is also another kind of demon in the game which is topless, but it is so grotesque, I doubt it will be a problem. Yes, there are romances in the game, and the sex scenes have the characters in their underwear (btw, every character in the game has a fine-chiseled bodies like Barbies or The Sims characters. There are no flat-chested women in the game and they all have Jessica Biel-style butts). If Twilight is acceptable in your house, none of this will bother you. However, as has been pointed out, there is potential for homosexual relationships. With the female character involved, it is at least portrayed as awkward at first. With the male character, it is more than a bit suggestive. Tracking your child's progress in the game, you can see the "relationship" bar to see how close they are to potentially consummating a relationship, should they wish. So if you've had a talk with your child about sex (if you haven't, someone else will), and they've seen at least one R-rated movie on television (where the commercials cut out the extreme stuff), this game actually is not that bad. I've been gaming for 24 years and I can assure you that there is much, much, worse out there. If I had to pick one game with "mature" themes to expose my child to, this would be one of them. Just imagine a slightly gritter version of Lord of the Rings, and you've got Dragon Age.
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byMathum December 4, 2009

Great entertainment for any age.

Terrific RPG, lots of issues are brought up across the 80+ hours of gameplay. Bioware is renown for their story-intensive games, and DA:O is no exception. It will immerse you completely n a fantasy world and give you a number of "morally ambiguous" choices to make. Your decisions do not have a huge effect on the game world, but they should give your family many topic of discussion as matters of life and death, loyalty, friendship, and all manner of human relationships are explored.
Parent Written bypeter82 May 11, 2014

dragons age

dragons age is a fairly appropriate game there is not a lot of blood and you only kill monsters and dragons. The language barley goes beyond crap and every thing even close to sex is cut out of the game.
Parent of a 2 and 11 year old Written byZephyrzInferno March 19, 2011

Select parts of this game for mature audiences only.

I've played this game through a couple of times. The differing opening sequences are what really make this game not for kids. During the rest of the game, there is splattered blood, sometimes from human characters, and a female desire demon that acts seductively and is wearing little more than pasties. The playable characters' relationships can lead to romantic encounters. Only the kissing is actually shown, but as a prelude to what is to come (though not shown) and sex is a topic frequently covered in conversation. This game pushes the player to make life or death decisions probably to demonstrate that your actions have consequences, but in this game it seems like someone is always hurt because of those decisions. Overall I enjoyed playing this game, but because of the pervasive casual sexuality and bloodiness, my kids won't be playing this game.
Teen, 16 years old Written byspngrl101 August 10, 2010

Great Game

I really love this game although i havnt finished it. It is more of a mature game but kids that are 13+ shldnt have a problem with most of it. I havnt heard any really bad language, nothing you can't hear kids saying at school. There is some partial nudity from one of the demons because only the nipples are covered and just barely. The blood isnt really that bad, it doesnt even look like blood and you dont get scars or anything like that. You can make many decisions that wld be a good learning point for many kids. I'm 16 and my brother is 14 and we both sit and play the game and so far have had no real big problems.
Parent of a 7, 10, and 13 year old Written byStrict Parent April 8, 2010

Great game! Almost perfect!

It was an amazing game, the violence was not nearly as bad as anyone says, there is blood, but it is not pouring out in rivers and is evenly placed out throughout the game! It actually taught my ten year old about economics ... but that was the only problem too ... you see he wasted all his money on random boots and hats, just because they looked cool, but he learned his lesson after that when he kept dying. I had to block it for my 7 year old, and the violence was just barely too much for my ten year old but I let him play it every now and then. My thirteen year old LOVED it! It's a great buy and perfect for anyone who's older than 10, or mature 10 year olds!
Parent of a 8 and 15 year old Written byarchkittens December 11, 2009
Common Sense's review rightly says that the consequences of your actions are not always readily apparent, and that's true for the person who isnt paying attention. The companion characters who accompany you, such as lilliana and morrigan, each have distinct moral and ethical leanings which should be easily understood after just a few minutes with each. For instance, Morrigan is the daughter of Dragonage's version of the boogey man, and her demeanor suggests she's likely to do whatever will help her out the most, and she despises weakness. When you choose to help the poor or to allow an enemy to live without any request for gain, your approval rating with Morrigan will go down. When you kill her mother in order to obtain a spellbook that morrigan wants and ostensibly save her life, or make a particularly self-motivated decision, your approval rating goes up. Lililana is cut of entirely different cloth. She is an immigrant with mixed heritage who grew to love the Maker while spending time as an affirmed sister of the Chantry, the DragonAge version of organized religion. Whenever you are met with a life or death decision, for all but the most vile of villans she will counsel for mercy, saying that the maker and the chantry will accept and reform anyone, no matter their sins. If you do not choose mercy, she will disapprove. There are several other characters the player will meet and travel with throughout the game, each offering a different viewpoint and different advice to the player for each decision. Understanding each player's moral compass is key to realizing how your decision may turn out later on. Spoiler alert: making this point requires a major decision spoiler. Some decisions don't have a morally or ethically "right" decision. When you choose to start out as a dwarven noble, you are the second of three children of the dwarven king. your introductory mission takes you into the deep roads to reclaim a lost relic of your ancestors, but on your journey back to your home you encounter your elder brother, chosen successor of your father, lying dead on the naked stone. your younger brother shows up with your father and retainers and accuses you of the murder. after you are cast out of your homeland and join the Grey Wardens, you return to compel the king of the dwarves to lend you an army against the darkspawn with treaties signed generations ago, only to find that your father is dead and his throne empty. Your little brother, the true murderer of your older brother, contests your father's right hand man for the crown. Knowing your brother's actions, you may still support him as king. If you do, your father's retainer is executed and you learn at the end of the game that your brother led the dwarven kingdom to new heights of prosperity and abolished the caste system(similar to indian castes, if you are familiar with that social structure). If you chose to support your father's retainer, then your brother refuses to accept him as king and attempts to kill you. you find out later that the caste system was kept in place and the dwarven kingdom's economy sank deeper than the stone in which it used to thrive. Those two outcomes become readily apparent as the player completes the quests necessary to crown one or the other, forcing the player at the very end to weigh the options of supporting a good and honest man who will keep things as they are, or a kinslaying and backstabbing prince who promises change that will be good for the people. Ether way you get your army, as the treaty compels the dwarven king to lend aid. That is not the kind of decision i expect anyone who has not started highschool to understand. However, it is not an uncommon position for an adult or older teen to be in, where neither of two paths offer a completely good or bad result. There are many places in the game where what is right and what is wrong are not the most obvious, and you must rely on your comrades and your own moral and ethical compasses to make your decision.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byjonberry November 10, 2009

Great game but truly made for adults.

Great game but this is as adult oriented as games get. Violent beheading, sexual content, and scary situations unfold over the course of the game. It is a very good game with a great story and deep, deep game-play but definitely for adult minds.
Teen, 17 years old Written byRevontulet July 18, 2011

Where to draw the line?

It's not a question of "Is it okay since there are other more _____ games out there?" It's a question of "When is it too far?" Fill in the blank with whatever you wish: violent, sexual, or vulgar! You can read the other reviews for what exactly is in the game. I haven't played it myself, although I have heard much from my friend and I have seen parts of it while over her house. Admittedly, the game's graphics are nice. It's really fun to be able to pick different backgrounds and stories (as is why it is appropriately named Origins). However, don't let the nice graphics fool you! I've read many reviews--for games, televisions shows, you name it!--that say "there are games that are more violent than this one." Does allowing your child to play this game because it is not the worst make it right? This is a great example of tolerance. By allowing something to happen because it is not the worst, you are gradually making whatever used to be seen as wrong "okay" or "tolerable." Eventually, the line will continue to be pushed back. Is that okay with you, as a parent? I've decided, although I am not a parent myself and I'm not even an adult yet, there are some things I can simply not tolerate. I do not like to expose myself to sex, violence, and cussing, but I know it's out there and I cannot avoid it. I have decided, I won't expose myself to any more of it than what I can't control. I agree with a previous review who said you should know your kid and what they can handle. It is especially important to talk to them on subjects associated with the game: sex, alcohol (it isn't the biggest problem, but it's there), violence, and moral decisions. I wouldn't recommend the game for a child, but if you do let your teen (or younger, God forbid!) play the game, you must, must, MUST talk to them about the themes and what is right and wrong. There is no doubt they will come into contact with similar things on television, in commercials, and in the real world. I also agree, if your child has trouble distinguishing reality from fantasy, make sure to stay away from this game. If that is a problem, I suggest you tackle that immediately! This game is the least of your problems in that case. In my experience, everything that the Mature label warns is in the game... IS IN THE GAME! So if you have a problem with your kid being exposed to sex, nudity, crude language, and whatever else is on the label, then don't let them play it. If you have to, look up scenes from it online. Decide for yourself if your comfortable with letting your kid play the game. Dont' wait until it's too late: your kid is playing the game and opts for some sex with an NPC. If you're not sure if the game is appropriate, then skip it. There's no harm done that way.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byBarryA March 7, 2011
Adult Written byOmfgigorawr June 3, 2010

Great story,Great action,Great for mature audiences.

This particular game is a big stride in the gaming with really realistic character responses and personalities. You have a choice of what race between Elf,Human, and Dwarf, each with unique background history which you will experience. Though dwarf and elf each have a type of 'commoner' background which you can choose. The game itself is easy to pick up and play given a few minutes to learn the controls and how the spell system works. The violence is quite high, but you can turn off 'persistent gore' which prevent your character from being cover in blood. But that does not turn it off at all. Out of random depending on your character (warrior,rogue,melee only) your character may do a 'finish move' automatically, from stabbing the enemy through the chest to spinning around and decapitation of them. The characters you will meet have a wide variety of personalities. From the dark and not-so-friendly Morrigan to the friendly positive natured Wynn. Did i mention there is a always drunken dwarf? He's hilarious with his adult jokes and comments. The story, as any Bioware game is dark and desperate. Your become a 'grey warden' or legendary warden according to lore. Not wanting to spoil story, but you will travel the land gathering allies, and rallying dwarf,human,mage, and elven army to fight the demonic darkspawn that pillage and burn the land during the very rare 'blight'. Again, with a Bioware game you can get to know and sleep with a number of the characters, which includes a sex scene, but it is not much more than the characters rubbing against one another in a sexual manor. What is different is that you can get caught in a love triangle if you decide to flirt and seduce another character while in a relationship with say, 'lilliana' which will force you to choose one or the other. Or neither which will impact they're 'loyalty' meter, lower means they may leave your group if it goes far enough. Farther up means they will stick with you to the end. As for creatures, such as said before in other reviews. Desiree demons are scantily clad demons who delight in seducing then taking over a person for whatever goals. There is one particularly horror type chapter when gaining the dwarf armies loyalty. Including a very large (round) demon and disturbing gory area while looking a legendary dwarven item for the story. The story does have some good role models, such as your first ally Alistair, the priest like Wynn, and others you can recognize easy. In the end, it's a great game with a great story, though i reccomend you buy it for consoles, as the PC version has many mods you can download free which can add A LOT of inappropriate things, such as a whole new sex scene (the scene itself is rated X by even the person who made it.) last note, it's a good idea to use parental vision with this particular game.
Adult Written byCocktailSquid October 19, 2014

This is my favorite game of all time, but it is not for kids.

Let me start out by saying that this story has fantastic characters, a wonderful and exciting story, enjoyable combat that is dependent on player tactics, lets you make your own character (from the choices), and the entire game revolves around the choices that you make at each step. I would highly recommend it to any adult that plays video games. That said, there are many things that I would find completely inappropriate for kids and teens. Some parents are fine with their older teens watching most adult content, so I'm not giving it a "lock" review. Here are some of the things that I would find inappropriate for kids and many teens: * If you start as a city elf, you begin on the day of your arrange marriage, only to have it broken up by the son of the local Noble, who kidnaps the bride (including your character, if you play a female) and some of the other women, so that he can rape them. * There is a plot line that forces your character to decide to do with a town that is being attacked by a possessed child. Your choice can include killing the child or the mother (using her life as energy to save her son). * Romance options can involve asking someone to your tent, where they show a cutscene of the two having an intimate encounter. There is no nudity or actual sex shown, but it is *very intimate*. * Killing... lots of killing. You can play an evil character that kills even more than is pertinent to the plot as well. * People being possessed by demons and being turned into monsters (one really disturbing monster called The Broodmother... if you want to Google that...) I'm not going to list more, because it is beginning to make me sad. I want to start explaining why all of these things were very much a part of a very well written story (which they are); but that's exactly the point. It's an A+ game. It is just not for kids. I have a friend from a conservative family, and I bought this for him for his birthday, when he was 19. I still warned him ahead of time about some parts, because they can be upsetting. I am a jaded horror lover and found a few things upsetting (I started with that City Elf bride character, for one thing.). If you are buying this for your teen, be cautious and know what your kid can and cannot handle.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBionic Reviewer March 1, 2014

A Game of Morality and Mortality

First things first: Dragon Age: Origins is a Role-Playing game with tactical combat. It has multiple paths in the storyline, especially when you consider that each class has its own chapter when the story opens. There is plenty of violence, but a lot of it is against mythical creatures like ogres and undead knights. They do, however, still bleed. Story: Fereldan is once again plagued by a Blight, an outbreak of villainous and corrupted Darkspawn who will spread across the land like wildfire. You become a Gray Warden, a powerful warrior not unlike the Jedi of Star Wars, and take it upon yourself to slay the Archdemon controlling the Darkspawn. The Ultimate Edition of the game includes extra storylines such as Awakening and Golems of Amgarrak. Violence: Lots, and with some blood, although combat is usually zoomed out to a degree (and can be zoomed out to the point of a strategy game-style top-down view), so that weakens the impact some. Characters will use swords, bows, greatswords, axes, and spells to attack and kill everything from bandits to Darkspawn (zombie-esque armored warriors who serve as the main antagonists). Finishing moves can be brutal in effect, such as repeated slashing across the chest, and several forms of decapitation (the stumps are very unrealistic, however. More like a cartoon than anything real), and spells have a chance to make the target explode. Ogres have their own finishing moves, such as the main character leaping onto the beast's chest and climbing up it with his blades. One man is crushed in the grip of an ogre, causing his armor to turn red with blood. A main character's head is crushed by a mace offscreen, and none of the aftereffects are shown (the screen fades to white). In Awakening, a Darkspawn is torn in half by a golem, although the gory parts of the corpse are blocked from view. Sexy Stuff: Some optional "encounters", including one used as a plot-point towards the end of the primary campaign (embarking on it is the only way to save the other Gray Warden in your party from destruction). What is shown can be skipped, however, and buying it on Steam allows you to open up a website in front of it, obscuring it from view. This and all others can be avoided. Morrigan wears skimpy clothing when you first meet her, and some references are made ("I'd give you a roll..why not..." is directed at a female [ELDERLY!] party member.) Same-gender encounters are also possible. Drinking, Drugs, Smoking: Some alcoholic beverages are purchasable, the party member Oghren is quite the drunkard. Swearing: Not too much to speak of, here. Other Concerns: Dragon Age: Origins makes no decision easy. There is no "Good Karma/Bad Karma" meter as most roleplaying games have. Instead, you are guided by your own moral compass: was it right to let the evil mage get away so he might redeem himself, or should you kill him for the harm he's done? Make sure your child is mature enough not to regret this sort of decision later. In conclusion, this game is an amazing RPG. Just make sure your child can handle the content. It's a matter of maturity, not age.
Adult Written byJoleson April 12, 2013

Clownish, Funny and good. But Deep, Fast and Hard to understand

Adult Written byTom_Gamer_Tom June 8, 2010

Very gory game.

This is one of the goriest sword games I have played, If not the goriest. The swordplay is gory, Very gory. Blood splatter everywhere, And its not 1st person. You are slaying monsters with guts coming out. The cut scenes (action) are really bloody. It is pretty disturbing after a while. There is a female demon who has pretty revealing qualities about it. The language is pretty moderate. But its bad and still adds to the rating. Overall its a mature game.