All member reviews for Fallout 3

An outstanding role-playing game -- for adults.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Adult Written byESRBguy26 December 15, 2009

A real ESRB worker's opinion

I am A ESRB worker. Off the job i think this game is go for 13+ as long as the teen knows it is just a game and is mature enough to handle the violence. This game actually teaches teens what not to do with the KARMA system. This game has gotten a lot of smack for being a really bad game but it really isnt unless the conditions are right. Over all this game isnt that violent on average. As ESRB workers it is our job to honestly review games and this is my honest review. A lot of us post our true feelings about games outside of work.
Parent Written bycallofduty1000 April 1, 2012

Great game 10-11 year olds

This is a great game because your able to turn off SEXUAL STUFF. great for kids just turn that off. language isnt an issue because that can be disabled too. 10-11 year olds will love this game!
Adult Written byCSM Screen name... August 23, 2009

Fine for 13+.

This game is one of the best in this generation of games. This game will easily, easily last you more than 60 hours long. Me and my child switched off nonstop, eager to see what would await each of our characters next. Whether we were exploring a dead military base full of robotic enemies and super mutants, or while we were exploring the broken down White House to find the president's office, we had fun 100% of the way. Fallout 3 is not for children. I'll give you that. But Fallout 3 is a very, very fun game, and you shouldn't be sheltering your child from this experience. The game is bloody, but you can turn off the blood and gore on specific systems. (PC, and 360, I believe) The game also has quite a bit of language, but if your child is above 13, they've heard all of it. I'm pretty tired of hearing people scream and yell that their child's mind will be poisoned from M rated video games. While I do agree this game is not suitable for ages 10 or under, easily a 13 or 14 year old could play it with no problems. There's no sexual content from what I could find, (and I explored everywhere) and there are some virtual drugs in the game you can take to enhance your abilities, but you risk getting addicted. The messages can either be positive or negative, because the game works with a morality system. If you're nice to people all around, they'll be nice to you. But being bad has many perks, as does being nice. Overall, this game is perfect, and one of the finest games this generation. It feels totally worth the 60 dollars I paid, (as you can play it for an upwards of 60 hours, and not get bored) and parents, you shouldn't let your child miss out on this title.
Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byRob and Jill November 8, 2009

Good for a mature child

This game does have some violent fighting, but my 12 and 13 year old children were not affected by the contents of the game. The only thing my wife and I had a problem with was the coarse language. However, this did not turn out to be much of an issue. One of the highlights of this RPG is that the character is not forced to be evil. In fact, the player is rewarded for doing good deeds. Overall, we believe that any mature child 12+ can play this game without a problem.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysari12 June 3, 2009

bloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooody

this game is so gory and so much language and its so hard to figure out
Adult Written byyetijones September 25, 2009

The Pinnacle of Joy

I remember seeing the trailers for this game. As a fan of the previous two Fallout games, I could only hope for the best. And I hoped correctly. Fallout 3 is hands down one of the best games of all time for the Xbox 360. The game follows the story of a world thrown into disarray some centuries after a nuclear holocaust that threatens humanity. The player starts out as a member of Vault 101 (just one of hundreds of vaults spread across the wastelands). The vaults are a ironic sanctuary for the people of the time: they offer the only protection and boast freedom of self, only to be a prison of the mind, soul, and body, and completely unsafe (gangs, bribery, violence, etc.). However, certain events take place, and the player is set off onto an adventure across the lands, the entire world open to their imaginations. Basically, this is how the game works: If you can see it, you can go to it. The entire game is one open world environment (only incremental load times between inside and outside places). You can literally walk all the way across the Wasteland, North to South, East to West, without hitting any loading screens. You will not be unopposed on your adventure, however. There are uncountable enemies prowling every inch of the wastes, from annoying RadRoaches, to Super Mutant Behemoths and Death Claws (with a name like that, just run). The player will also encounter various communities across the world, which is where the basis of the gameplay is. Sure, this may look like a FPS/RPG, and you're D#@! right it is. But it goes so much deeper than that. The core of the game is interacting with this new world, getting the feel of the people, becoming a human fit for this new earth; everything you do affects you, everything you live for is at stake. Nothing in this game goes without consequence, as the honor system is ranked by your "Karma" (the better it is, the more good characters will interact with you on a deeper level, and vice versa). The graphics are unbelievably realistic, with the entire landscape looking as though the artists carved each rock, pixel by pixel. Skin textures could use a little tweaking for those with lower resolution televisions, but seriously, if you don't have an HDTV by now, get with the times. The voice acting is phenomenal!...well except for maybe one character you'll meet in Girdershade (trust me, you'll know when you find her). The combat is pretty decent in real-time (the physics are a bit odd, as you can shoot someone point blank with virtually no response from the occasional "AH!"); but VATS is where it's at. VATS is a Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System, where the player can focus in on any individual area of an enemy, queue up multiple attacks, and let loose a maelstrom of violence. When coupled with the Bloody Mess perk, where attacks become increasingly violent (and therefore increasingly AWESOME), there are just those moments where your jaw drops from pure, maniacal, delight. But overall the violence is only moderate compared to other games (i.e. F.E.A.R., SMOD, UT3, etc.). Parents, if you love a good adventure (over 100 hours of game-play if you're into it), and you want your child to be delighted, then delve into Fallout 3 from Bethesda Studios.
Parent Written byV1776 August 28, 2013

Not for kids or even teens

I am a thirty-something gamer. I ran an arcade when Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat were in. I was the clerk people came in to play. I play most of the games out there and I can tell you everything about Fallout 3 because I actually played it. A lot. When I see that the parent reviews say this is okay for kids 13+, I have got to wonder what isn't allowed. Fallout 3 features total dismemberment, head, legs, arms and you can see eyeballs roll off objects if you explode someone's head. There isn't "drug use", you can buy and sell drugs or even steal them off of people. You can take hit contracts (assassinations) on targets and the language used is not fare that would be acceptable in any less than R film. The entire environment is depressing after awhile. The gameworld is Cormac McCarthy's The Road with language of Deadwood and the violence of Saving Private Ryan. There was nothing like it at the time. Characters, such as one named Jericho, fight alongside you and say things like "F***in' die" "F*** you", etc... while he is blowing limbs off of people. The game is excellent, for grown-ups. The rating on the violence should be max.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKiPunk11 December 17, 2011

Get this game, if not for your kid, then for you.

This game is possibly the most intelligent game to be released within the last decade. It's about an alternate, relatively near future fallout that occurred in 2077 and the aftermath, where the real storyline lies, 200 years later. The game is very open and you can do practically anything. Drugs, murder, all that stuff. However, there are limits due to the fact that sex and disturbing criminal content are no-nos in console games. So, you can't have sex, nor can you murder children. The sad thing is, the second one (I know, you're probably mad at me by now) was a huge part of the KARMA system of the first two games. If you killed children, people would hate you and you'll be attacked by people. And, don't think this is GTA where the only consequence is being chased by some cops with a deathwish; every decision in Fallout has it's subsequent consequence. For example, pickpocketing and being caught occasionally will make people distrust you, being rude in dialogue will make people dislike you, sometimes the entire course of the game can be changed through a decision. (you have the opportunity to nuke an entire town) The gore level is indeed high. If it weren't for the VATS slow-motion pin-point targeting, this thing wouldn't be horribly gory, but you can shoot somebody point-blank with a shotgun in slow-motion, complete with blood splatter and head explosion. Good news is, if you have a PC, you can easily cure this with various mods (recommended: Gore Tweak) and a settings fix. In fact, you PC gamers out there struck it pretty lucky. If you want nudity, (or sexier underwear, or just a more well-detailed character model in general) get mods. You want more gore, mods. You want LESS gore, mods. You want a hideout under the gas station in Springvale, mod that stuff. But, that should go out as a warning to stricter parents: YOUR KIDS (with the proper mods) CAN KILL CHILDREN AND BE A PROSTITUTE. So, beware of that. But don't keep your kids from experiencing this game, it's not nearly as bad as the world outside your door. There's plenty of room for discussion about things like drug use, cause-and-effect, and moral predicaments. Also, there's swearing. But I think compared to the gory murder and drunkenness that seems a bit petty.
Adult Written byjerkstore July 13, 2009

Just a heads-up

If you're a particularly computer savvy parent and wouldn't mind your child enjoying this along with you but have an issue with the ULTRA violence, there is an active modding community out there that make mods to tone down the brutal dismemberments, head explosions and blood sprays.
Adult Written byDavid862 July 5, 2012

Honest review

Ok, I think this game is pretty boring, but VERY violent. you can do drugs, dismember, curse, you name it. GTA is more appropriate than this game.
Adult Written byDJ Wolfman August 20, 2011

The Best Game, For A Limited Crowd

Normally I wouldn't review a video game, and truthfully I only registered to talk about this one. For starters, the violence can be intense, even for my age. It's around that of Dead Rising, but not as bad as the movie the Patriot. I'd say this game is for high school sophmores-seniors, that know the difference between a game and real life. Face it, if your kids don't know that by now, don't even let them get a permit. The reason I like this game is for the plot (but the violence helps with stress relief), and it's message. The hyper violence is realistic, and shows what the world could be like if the Cold War ended as many people expected it to end. This game is Mad Max for the next generation, and it doesn't hide it at all. I believe the Karma system works well, as you are berated for your wrong doings on the games radio, or you are brought up as a hero if you don't. The game does have notably less law and order, unlike Oblivion where if you do something wrong you go to jail. If any real lesson could be learned from Fallout it's why we need a goverment, and that hope survives no matter how messed up the world becomes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byVladik June 9, 2013

A great game thought quite gorey.

Fallout 3 is one of my favourite video games and I highly recommend it. But, you have to keep in mind that this is an M rated game and it has lots of violence, language, and gore. I would say that this game is meant for people 14+ but it mainly depends on the person themselves. I've played lots of video games and Fallout 3 is on the top for goriest. They show a quick slow-motion video sometimes when you are trying to kill someone. Sometimes these videos show the head being separated or the whole person exploding. Afterwards, the player can look at the bodies (sometimes missing head, limbs, or completely exploded). Also, during this sequence, much blood is shown. There is also quite a lot of swearing. I don't really see this as a reason not to let someone play it. They are just words meant to describe what one is feeling and nothing else. Like I said, I would say this is 14+ though it really depends. It depends on the players maturity level, understanding of their actions, and responsibility. A 12 year old can play this but it truly depends.
Kid, 11 years old August 12, 2012

LEARNING

So many good memories...

Me and my dad played this on different save files. We would discuss the plot and characters, and there was a lot of thinking involved in the game. A tiny fraction of math. But a very rich story, that shouldn't be missed. Also, I beat this when I was 11. I started at 9. I played it around 2 hours a day. I have over 2 thousand hours into it. My dad has about 500. 2000 is a small number for 2 years, to me. Also, I know that if i punch somebody in the face, their head won't explode.
Kid, 11 years old May 13, 2012

Awesome.

Fallout 3 isn't really what the above text says. Despite the violence, one can choose not to kill anyone. You can buy and sell. However, the main story is about the main character's father and how he set out to do a noble thing for the survivors of the irradiated Wasteland. The father wanted to purify all the water in the wasteland ruins of Washington, D.C. However, he was forced to sacrifice himself for the greater good to allow his son/daughter/ the player/ to escape the sinister villains. The player, at the end, follows the example and sacrifices himself for the greater good. I think this is a positive role model for kids and adults.
Kid, 12 years old December 22, 2011

Awesome! But gory.

This game is amazing and it is definitely an essential for any true gamer. It is very gory and you can blow heads off and limbs while blood is sputing everywhere. There is not any drugs, but there is beer and whiskey. The gore is very gross sometimes. It is a great game.
Teen, 14 years old Written byIronZombie75 November 3, 2009

Amazing RPG/Shooter for 14 and up!

This is my favorite video game, period. It's simply amazing in every way. Warning: parents, this game is Extremely Gorey. You can blow anybodies head off with a shotgun in slow motion and it shows chunks of the head, or the head exploding (even though you don't want to do that with ANYBODY, as killing just anybody unprovoked will lower your karma and others will attack you), as well as other limbs as well. There's also some language, sexual references, and you can use drugs. Oh, and one more thing. You can either be an angel in this game, or absolutely downright EVIL! The game sometimes gives you outrageous text options. The only people you can't kill, are children, but that's it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTCC14 June 29, 2009

the true review of fallout 3

I've played Fallout 3 and I'm fourteen. Yes, fallout 3 is violent and the story is dark,Yes, there is language but is used very rarely. Now the story, Our ol' nation turned into a nuclear wasteland, the player lives inside a peaceful vault with his father and the other residents. But your father escapes from the vault and goes out in the "wastes" as the player escapes from the vault to look for his father and explore this world. To tell you this game is violent and by violent I mean EXTREME violence but if you know your child can handle it then there is no problem. My dad and me both played the game with our accounts on the 360. My dad knew that I can handle this and trust me I've seen a lot worse then this.
Teen, 17 years old Written byadam jensson June 24, 2013

its dark

great game, however its bloody and intense. so make sure your kid is used to that kind of thing. the real disturbing factor lies in exploration. if you look hard enough, there something that can creep anyone out. especially vaults. originally advertised as shelters from nuclear war, they actually are deranged experiments that the government did. a prime example is vault 106 i believe. the government unleashed a chemical into the air that causes insanity and hallucinations. you get to explore the place and inhale the chemical in the process. certainly a chilling experience. so just be careful and you'll be fine
Adult Written byJehriCurlJoe April 6, 2013

Excellent Emotional and Violent Journey Through Post Apocolypta

I actually picked this game up because I was bored and it was only $20 at Best Buy. I thought it would be on okay game, but boy was I wrong, it was one of the best games I have ever played in my life. I like the choice of being able to switch from third to first person shooting, I will be in third person just walking around but switch to third person in close quarters or combat. Something that people might skip over is the positive message in this game, the whole premise of the game is trying to find your father in a post apocalyptic Washington D.C. When you find him you discover that he has been working on a project to eradicate radiation from the waters of D.C., while quoting the Biblical verse "He said to me: 'It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life'." The central plot revolves around this attempt to make life better for the people of the Capital Wasteland, and in the end dealing with the issues of ultimate sacrifice. Of course there is plenty of gore and violence, even a perk to make MORE gore. The sex is minimum really, you can't have it with anyone, you can't see it, and the only "nudity" is you see your character in their underwear if you choose to do so. Not to say there isn't mature sexual themes and language, at one point you run into a Russian with two sex slaves. Strong language of course. Drugs, but not any real life drugs, and you can see the negative sides of the drugs including addiction. There is a really good barter system in the game, you can sell just random pieces of junk at vendors or you can sell miniguns and rocket launchers. Vendors are an integral part of the game. I definitely reccomend this gaame to anyone who has the attention span to play it. It does start out slow, so bear with it, and I also recommend purchasing the Game of the Year Edition, the add-ons are fun and give a more well rounded story.
Kid, 11 years old May 8, 2012

Good game, Too Violent

This game is my favorite, but has a lot of cussing and more blood and violence than any game I have. It has more drugs and alcohol than any game I have heard of. But, in this game there is good, bad, and neutral "karma." It is based on the decisions you make. Kill the orphan, leave the orphan alone, or adopt the orphan. If you make good decisions, the game has a lot of positive messages and good role models. But if you make bad decisions, it can be the goriest, most violent, foul language using game on the planet. If your kid can make good decisions, I think they could handle it at 13 years old.